What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2017, 06:16 PM
RE: What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?
(20-09-2017 06:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-09-2017 06:03 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  So what? All texts, religious and non-religious, are interpreted, this post included.

Why do you call it a "need"? All she's saying is how she does it.

You really haven't made any real case for saying this about JB. Perhaps this is where you're importing your own notions? She's has made it abundantly clear that her focus is on the practical benefits of using the ideas without assigning any deity or woo to them.

She included mine in there. It seemed appropriate to point out that the lumping wasn't really accurate.

This has pretty much been a back and forth between JB and I. Why are you so involved?

Read the first post from JB...it wasn't until questioned that all the many explanations came up that negate the first.

JB is pretty much able to handle herself...the knight on a steed isn't really needed...though expected.

I dunno if you saw my post, but would you mind if I made a "woo poll?" I am just curious as to others views on woo. Some say only if a deity belief is involved it's woo-others say, anything spiritual is woo. As I say, I am always willing and interested to hear what others have to say.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2017, 06:17 PM
(20-09-2017 06:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(20-09-2017 06:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This has pretty much been a back and forth between JB and I. Why are you so involved?

Read the first post from JB...it wasn't until questioned that all the many explanations came up that negate the first.

JB is pretty much able to handle herself...the knight on a steed isn't really needed...though expected.

I dunno if you saw my post, but would you mind if I made a "woo poll?" I am just curious as to others views on woo. Some say only if a deity belief is involved it's woo-others say, anything spiritual is woo. As I say, I am always willing and interested to hear what others have to say.

You don't need my permission to start a poll.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
20-09-2017, 06:19 PM
(20-09-2017 06:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-09-2017 06:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I dunno if you saw my post, but would you mind if I made a "woo poll?" I am just curious as to others views on woo. Some say only if a deity belief is involved it's woo-others say, anything spiritual is woo. As I say, I am always willing and interested to hear what others have to say.

You don't need my permission to start a poll.

I just meant bc I'm taking the conversation out of here and into a new platform/thread.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
20-09-2017, 06:22 PM
(20-09-2017 06:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-09-2017 06:03 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  So what? All texts, religious and non-religious, are interpreted, this post included.

Why do you call it a "need"? All she's saying is how she does it.

You really haven't made any real case for saying this about JB. Perhaps this is where you're importing your own notions? She's has made it abundantly clear that her focus is on the practical benefits of using the ideas without assigning any deity or woo to them.

She included mine in there. It seemed appropriate to point out that the lumping wasn't really accurate.

This has pretty much been a back and forth between JB and I. Why are you so involved?

You did quote me. And, in case you don't know, this is a public discussion and members are actually -- get this -- permitted to join in. Who'da thunk it?

(20-09-2017 06:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  JB is pretty much able to handle herself...the knight on a steed isn't really needed...though expected.

Of course she can. And I can offer my own views. If you have a problem with that, report those posts you think fall afoul the rules, but quit with the pseudo-moderating. I'm not sure why you think I take instructions from you, but to make matters plain -- I don't.

Don't worry; you'll live.
20-09-2017, 06:28 PM
(20-09-2017 06:22 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(20-09-2017 06:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This has pretty much been a back and forth between JB and I. Why are you so involved?

You did quote me. And, in case you don't know, this is a public discussion and members are actually -- get this -- permitted to join in. Who'da thunk it?

(20-09-2017 06:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  JB is pretty much able to handle herself...the knight on a steed isn't really needed...though expected.

Of course she can. And I can offer my own views. If you have a problem with that, report those posts you think fall afoul the rules, but quit with the pseudo-moderating. I'm not sure why you think I take instructions from you, but to make matters plain -- I don't.

Don't worry; you'll live.

You don't need to speak for her as she can clearly speak for herself. Your idea that you are standing up for her shows that you think she needs your help. She doesn't.

Pseudo moderator stuff...from the man who thinks he needs to ride in and save damsels in distress who aren't either damsels in distress or in need of saving by you.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
20-09-2017, 08:09 PM
(20-09-2017 03:55 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I don't like labels so I don't typically categorize myself as anything.

Ah! An existentialist, then. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
20-09-2017, 08:13 PM
(20-09-2017 05:49 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Sorry, but materialists don't have to be reductionists or to demonstrate anything of the kind. New properties emerge with complex arrangements of matter. Such properties can't be reduced at all, since they only exist with complexity.

Epiphenomenalism?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
21-09-2017, 12:03 AM
(20-09-2017 06:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You don't need to speak for her as she can clearly speak for herself. Your idea that you are standing up for her shows that you think she needs your help. She doesn't.

Pseudo moderator stuff...from the man who thinks he needs to ride in and save damsels in distress who aren't either damsels in distress or in need of saving by you.

The thought occurs to me that rather than address any of the points I've made in this thread, you're simply trying to dismiss me by calling "white knight".

Has the thought never occurred to you that I might agree with a woman without trying to curry favor? It's not my idea that I'm standing up for her. That is your idea, and you should own that. I'm speaking my own mind, and if you don't like it, that's cool; do yourself a favor and answer the points I've made rather than indulge in this ad homineim horseshit -- if you can.

As for "pseudo-moderator" -- you don't have any control over what I post, and you'd ought to get used to that fact. I don't think I need to do anything, no matter your insinuations. I'll post my opinions as I see fit and if you don't like them you can reply to those opinions in a cogent manner, you can (as you've done here) try to denigrate the source, or you can skip out, which would seem to be your best option given the paucity of thought you're displaying right now.

At any rate, you don't throw around any weight on this side of the monitor. Get over yourself.

That, too, is a spiritual event. Smile
21-09-2017, 04:39 AM
(20-09-2017 08:13 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(20-09-2017 05:49 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Sorry, but materialists don't have to be reductionists or to demonstrate anything of the kind. New properties emerge with complex arrangements of matter. Such properties can't be reduced at all, since they only exist with complexity.

Epiphenomenalism?

"Epiphenomenalism is the view that mental events are caused by physical events in the brain, but have no effects upon any physical events. Behavior is caused by muscles that contract upon receiving neural impulses, and neural impulses are generated by input from other neurons or from sense organs." (Google)

Dreaming is likely a good example of epiphenomenalism, since it seems to be the misapplication of waking habits of perception where they don't really apply, because of the physiological activity of the brain during sleep. Dreams typically aren't acted out or even remembered.

However, I consider it highly unlikely that consciousness as a whole is merely an epiphenomenon, since evolution has obviously invested a great deal of energy into its elaboration.
21-09-2017, 05:00 AM
(21-09-2017 04:39 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  ...
However, I consider it highly unlikely that consciousness as a whole is merely an epiphenomenon, since evolution has obviously invested a great deal of energy into its elaboration.

Yup. It works for silicon so why not carbon?

My laptop responds to sensory input (touch and sound) via its sensory interfaces (keyboard / mic).
Its software processes the 'mental' events to create an instruction for a physical event to occur in the future that alters the state of the hardware.

Or putting it another way ... it goes to sleep (on standby).

Yes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post