What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2017, 08:37 PM
RE: What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?
(18-09-2017 12:45 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  There's a recent study done by Pew Research:
More Americans now say they’re spiritual but not religious

Quote:About a quarter of U.S. adults (27%) now say they think of themselves as spiritual but not religious, up 8 percentage points in five years, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted between April 25 and June 4 of this year. This growth has been broad-based: It has occurred among men and women; whites, blacks and Hispanics; people of many different ages and education levels; and among Republicans and Democrats.

Quote:Many in the “spiritual but not religious” category have low levels of religious observance, saying they seldom or never attend religious services (49%, compared with 33% of the general public) and that religion is “not too” or “not at all” important in their lives (44% vs. 25% of all U.S. adults). But others in this group appear to be quite observant, at least by traditional measures – 17% say they attend religious services weekly, and 27% say religion is very important to them. In both cases, those who think of themselves as spiritual but not religious are more observant than those who say they are neither religious nor spiritual.

I admit to being baffled by "spiritual" people, as it seems to have a thousand meanings and none at all.

Thoughts?

I don't follow any religion but I am spiritual in my own ways and do invent my own religion. I have and will continue to reject any religion due to its most primitive definitions and standards of what god is, to date.

Spirituality means ANYTHING.

I like to be immortal, live in the heaven and with angels.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2017, 08:40 PM
(22-09-2017 08:37 PM)Thinker Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 12:45 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  There's a recent study done by Pew Research:
More Americans now say they’re spiritual but not religious

I admit to being baffled by "spiritual" people, as it seems to have a thousand meanings and none at all.

Thoughts?

I don't follow any religion but I am spiritual in my own ways and do invent my own religion. I have and will continue to reject any religion due to its most primitive definitions and standards of what god is, to date.

Of course if I had a collection of Word-A-Day calendars I could come up with better words to say that you are delusional.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-09-2017, 08:45 PM
(22-09-2017 08:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-09-2017 08:37 PM)Thinker Wrote:  I don't follow any religion but I am spiritual in my own ways and do invent my own religion. I have and will continue to reject any religion due to its most primitive definitions and standards of what god is, to date.

Of course if I had a collection of Word-A-Day calendars I could come up with better words to say that you are delusional.

I'm just answering OP's question but why are you targeting me? Please explain your aggressive antagonism. On what premises do you say that I'm delusional?
22-09-2017, 11:25 PM
(22-09-2017 08:37 PM)Thinker Wrote:  I don't follow any religion but I am spiritual in my own ways and do invent my own religion. I have and will continue to reject any religion due to its most primitive definitions and standards of what god is, to date.

So......you don't follow any religion... except the one you made up.... which you reject.....? Well, that's the most coherent thing you have said so far at least.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
23-09-2017, 04:46 AM
(22-09-2017 08:30 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 04:39 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Dreaming is likely a good example of epiphenomenalism, since it seems to be the misapplication of waking habits of perception where they don't really apply, because of the physiological activity of the brain during sleep. Dreams typically aren't acted out or even remembered.

However, I consider it highly unlikely that consciousness as a whole is merely an epiphenomenon, since evolution has obviously invested a great deal of energy into its elaboration.
Human brain development is certainly an example of evolutionary elaboration. However, to the best of my knowledge there is no evidence that consciousness has evolved in any way independently of the brain.

Agreed. I think your definition of "epiphenomenalism" is different than standard usage.
23-09-2017, 06:34 AM
(23-09-2017 04:46 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(22-09-2017 08:30 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Human brain development is certainly an example of evolutionary elaboration. However, to the best of my knowledge there is no evidence that consciousness has evolved in any way independently of the brain.

Agreed. I think your definition of "epiphenomenalism" is different than standard usage.

Yup. Seems more like Holism.

Unsure

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-09-2017, 07:47 AM
(23-09-2017 06:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-09-2017 04:46 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I think your definition of "epiphenomenalism" is different than standard usage.

Yup. Seems more like Holism.

Unsure

I checked another dictionary, and "epiphenomenalism" was defined as "the doctrine that mental activities are simply epiphenomena of the neural processes of the brain and have no causal influence," which was my understanding of the term.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
23-09-2017, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2017 09:04 AM by GirlyMan.)
(22-09-2017 08:37 PM)Thinker Wrote:  I like to be immortal, live in the heaven and with angels.

My 20-something yo son says the same thing about being immortal and living forever, I ask, "How old are you now, boy? Like 12?" The difference between him and you is that he's talking about using technology to extend his life indefinitely and just doesn't understand he's gonna get bored a lot sooner than he thinks, while you're talking about something happening after you're dead. I ask you, "How old are you now, boy? Like 6?"

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-09-2017, 10:04 AM
SBNR

Squirrely but not regulated.

I take something to stay regular.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
23-09-2017, 10:05 AM
(23-09-2017 10:04 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  SBNR

Squirrely but not regulated.

I take something to stay regular.

Do you think it will work?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post