What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2017, 01:55 PM
RE: What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?
(18-09-2017 12:54 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 12:45 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  I admit to being baffled by "spiritual" people, as it seems to have a thousand meanings and none at all.

Thoughts?

To me, spiritualism is just a half-way house for recovering religious people.
Or another trap. House full of crystals instead of crosses.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
18-09-2017, 02:37 PM
" spiritual" people are those too hoity toity to be the pedestrian " religious".

But the real egocentrical wooees claim the even more elite " in a personal relationship with God"....

Someday I expect to meet some twat who will claim to be " God's spiritual guide".

Ego knows no boundaries.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-09-2017, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2017 02:47 PM by jennybee.)
(18-09-2017 01:29 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 12:45 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  I admit to being baffled by "spiritual" people, as it seems to have a thousand meanings and none at all.
Thoughts?

They probably think this position is more defensible (than religion) because its more vague. Facepalm

However (imho) this shows they still do not intend to have their belief questioned and it doesnt speak for much introspection on their side.

Its still intellectually lazy, and i dont respect lazy people. Drinking Beverage

I think there are a lot more "spiritual" atheists than you may realize, none of them lazy. We had a thread on here awhile back and several members on here said they considered themselves to be "spiritual"--myself included. Some said they found a spirituality in nature--and not in the woo way. For me, it's my yoga practice--again not in the woo way. You can be spiritual without the woo. Spiritual can be defined as something "affecting the human spirit." The human spirit can be a term to describe who you are as a person, your make-up, your psyche. It doesn't have to be woo-ish.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
18-09-2017, 02:51 PM
I think we should contact Deepak Chopra, he'll know.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
18-09-2017, 02:57 PM
(18-09-2017 02:51 PM)pablo Wrote:  I think we should contact Deepak Chopra, he'll know.

Bangin
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
18-09-2017, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2017 03:29 PM by Rockblossom.)
(18-09-2017 12:54 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  To me, spiritualism is just a half-way house for recovering religious people.

Ahh. So if really religious people are Hot and atheists are Cold, then Spiritualists are all about Mediums?

Big Grin

[Image: death-clairvoyant-psychic-the_psychic-ho...05_low.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like Rockblossom's post
18-09-2017, 03:34 PM
(18-09-2017 02:44 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 01:29 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  They probably think this position is more defensible (than religion) because its more vague. Facepalm

However (imho) this shows they still do not intend to have their belief questioned and it doesnt speak for much introspection on their side.

Its still intellectually lazy, and i dont respect lazy people. Drinking Beverage

I think there are a lot more "spiritual" atheists than you may realize, none of them lazy. We had a thread on here awhile back and several members on here said they considered themselves to be "spiritual"--myself included. Some said they found a spirituality in nature--and not in the woo way. For me, it's my yoga practice--again not in the woo way. You can be spiritual without the woo. Spiritual can be defined as something "affecting the human spirit." The human spirit can be a term to describe who you are as a person, your make-up, your psyche. It doesn't have to be woo-ish.

So, what is *spiritual* about yoga? What is non-woo spiritual about it? It is "affecting your spirit"? Please explain in what way it is affecting your spirit? what does it cause in you? What do you exactly mean by spirit? As a non-native english speaker i am not quite sure what eactly you mean by spirit.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
18-09-2017, 03:37 PM
This.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 10 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
18-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Spiritual but not Religious?

You drink booze but don't read the bible?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
18-09-2017, 04:05 PM
For some, it includes the idea that they're not Christian but have that elusive relationship with Jebus.

For me back when I called myself that (ugh), it was just like someone stated: it meant what I insisted it meant. I considered myself a former Christian, former kabbalist, and in search of the Special Truth. In other words, I was sure that I and others could suss out some sort of basic ideals that most if not all religions had parts of.

I look back and realize that I was still religious, just on the fence between atheism or starting my own cult religion.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post