What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2017, 07:01 PM
RE: What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?
(18-09-2017 06:07 PM)mordant Wrote:  Or at least I think this is the most generally applicable. JennyBee is something of a special case, exemplified I suspect by the book The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality. In this sense spirituality is just self awareness and focus on personal growth in the great virtues and perhaps some form of secular meditation. I think "spirituality" is a bit of a misnomer there but I'm reluctant to be a grammar Nazi about it.

(18-09-2017 06:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Bullshit...self-awareness is self-awareness...'dressing' it up by calling it spirituality is simply a bullshit effort to make it sound special.

JB is describing something that is a real state of mind; self-awareness, calmness, inner peace, whatever you want to call it and I also find seeking that state to be valuable (just not via yoga). I agree that calling it "spirituality" is, at best, unfortunate because of the connotations that brings of some kind of supernatural interaction.

It needs a new word because "spirituality" is poisoned by religion. "Mindfulness" maybe... I'd go with "grok" except it is too harsh sounding for the state. Big Grin

The main problem I have with "spiritual but not religious" is that it really doesn't tell you much other than that the person doesn't closely follow an organized religion. They might simply meditate to reach grok or they might believe in a god and think they communicate with angels and see auras and whatever other woo they find convincing. It's a useless term because the meaning is different for every individual that uses it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
18-09-2017, 07:09 PM
(18-09-2017 07:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  It needs a new word because "spirituality" is poisoned by religion. "Mindfulness" maybe... I'd go with "grok" except it is too harsh sounding for the state. Big Grin

God almighty, mindfulness is even worse. UGH.

Someone once said I had a very peaceful aura/presence or something like this. Woo-y way of putting it but boy, were they right. I just exude peacefulness [Image: meditationf.gif]

While on the inside, it's all bubble, bubble, toil and trouble Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
18-09-2017, 07:13 PM
(18-09-2017 07:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 06:07 PM)mordant Wrote:  Or at least I think this is the most generally applicable. JennyBee is something of a special case, exemplified I suspect by the book The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality. In this sense spirituality is just self awareness and focus on personal growth in the great virtues and perhaps some form of secular meditation. I think "spirituality" is a bit of a misnomer there but I'm reluctant to be a grammar Nazi about it.

(18-09-2017 06:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Bullshit...self-awareness is self-awareness...'dressing' it up by calling it spirituality is simply a bullshit effort to make it sound special.

JB is describing something that is a real state of mind; self-awareness, calmness, inner peace, whatever you want to call it and I also find seeking that state to be valuable (just not via yoga). I agree that calling it "spirituality" is, at best, unfortunate because of the connotations that brings of some kind of supernatural interaction.

It needs a new word because "spirituality" is poisoned by religion. "Mindfulness" maybe... I'd go with "grok" except it is too harsh sounding for the state. Big Grin

The main problem I have with "spiritual but not religious" is that it really doesn't tell you much other than that the person doesn't closely follow an organized religion. They might simply meditate to reach grok or they might believe in a god and think they communicate with angels and see auras and whatever other woo they find convincing. It's a useless term because the meaning is different for every individual that uses it.

For me it's not just self-awareness, it's that I also implement yogic philosophy via ancient texts into my life. That's why I use the term "spiritual" because I'm not really sure what else you would call it without my getting into a whole soliloquy (The whole I'm an atheist who follows a sattvic diet, uses chakras, says om, follows yogic philosophy, etc, thing). If there was another term that better describes my philosophy of life, I would gladly use it. I certainly don't use the term to feel special-I just think it's the best term available to describe my philosophy of life.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
18-09-2017, 07:25 PM
(18-09-2017 07:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 07:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  JB is describing something that is a real state of mind; self-awareness, calmness, inner peace, whatever you want to call it and I also find seeking that state to be valuable (just not via yoga). I agree that calling it "spirituality" is, at best, unfortunate because of the connotations that brings of some kind of supernatural interaction.

For me it's not just self-awareness, it's that I also implement yogic philosophy via ancient texts into my life. That's why I use the term "spiritual" because I'm not really sure what else you would call it without my getting into a whole soliloquy (The whole I'm an atheist who follows a sattvic diet, uses chakras, says om, follows yogic philosophy, etc, thing). If there was another term that better describes my philosophy of life, I would gladly use it. I certainly don't use the term to feel special-I just think it's the best term available to describe my philosophy of life.
How is this not religion and/or woo?

Quote:Yoga philosophy is one of the six major orthodox schools of Hinduism. Ancient, medieval and most modern literature often refers to Yoga school of Hinduism simply as Yoga. It is closely related to the Samkhya school of Hinduism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/yoga_(philosophy)

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
18-09-2017, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2017 07:45 PM by jennybee.)
(18-09-2017 07:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 07:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  For me it's not just self-awareness, it's that I also implement yogic philosophy via ancient texts into my life. That's why I use the term "spiritual" because I'm not really sure what else you would call it without my getting into a whole soliloquy (The whole I'm an atheist who follows a sattvic diet, uses chakras, says om, follows yogic philosophy, etc, thing). If there was another term that better describes my philosophy of life, I would gladly use it. I certainly don't use the term to feel special-I just think it's the best term available to describe my philosophy of life.
How is this not religion and/or woo?

Quote:Yoga philosophy is one of the six major orthodox schools of Hinduism. Ancient, medieval and most modern literature often refers to Yoga school of Hinduism simply as Yoga. It is closely related to the Samkhya school of Hinduism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/yoga_(philosophy)

Yoga traditionally is a spiritual practice. Nowadays its become so westernized with most people using yoga solely as exercise and for relaxation. Yoga asanas or poses are simply that--just poses or series of stretch, strength, and balancing poses and nothing more. What makes yoga more spiritual traditionally speaking is the additional implementation of pranayama (breathing exercises), and meditation (in which, from a traditional standpoint, the idea is one can connect to a higher plane). The yogic texts are filled with philosophy, ways of being, ways to achieve health, wellness, balance. And of course, there is the belief in various gods/goddesses. So yes, in that sense, it is religious.

From my standpoint, I love reading the myths (but as an atheist, I don't believe in gods/goddesses). I do practice the poses and the breathing and meditation techniques because I find they are really great at helping me relax (which is also another part of their traditional purpose). But as an atheist, I don't feel as though I'm connecting to a higher plane. I do feel a blissed out state of relaxation, but as an atheist, I know that's due to relaxing my parasympathetic nervous system and nothing more. I do implement the yogic philosophy into my life just because I think they had some really valuable things to say on health and wellness.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
18-09-2017, 07:43 PM
(18-09-2017 07:09 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 07:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  It needs a new word because "spirituality" is poisoned by religion. "Mindfulness" maybe... I'd go with "grok" except it is too harsh sounding for the state. Big Grin

God almighty, mindfulness is even worse. UGH.

Someone once said I had a very peaceful aura/presence or something like this. Woo-y way of putting it but boy, were they right. I just exude peacefulness [Image: meditationf.gif]

While on the inside, it's all bubble, bubble, toil and trouble Rolleyes
Yeah I know, people can't seem to resist borrowing woo terms for their personal subjective experiences. My wife would probably say you have "good energy" and I cringe every time because it's not energy, it is simply the nonverbal subtle social cues you give off and how people respond to that emotionally / subconsciously. Whether they feel comfortable and welcome around your not, things like that.

Yet my wife is no believer, not in gods or in woo. But she'll talk about good / bad energy and about something (not) being "meant to be", etc. It's particularly surprising to me because as a journalist and business writer she's not given to buzz words or semantic sloppiness. It's like this is a separate compartment of her thinking. But then again, she's very intuitive and empathic and navigates her world in that way when it comes to "reading" other people.

Ultimately I just roll with it ... with her and with others. Life is too short to get one's knickers in a twist over it. I am just happy to be married to someone who doesn't believe religious bullshit even if she doesn't consistently avoid all of its semantics.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
18-09-2017, 07:48 PM
(18-09-2017 07:42 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yoga traditionally is a spiritual practice.

Yoga is just stretching. I can do the splits. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
18-09-2017, 07:50 PM
(18-09-2017 07:48 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 07:42 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yoga traditionally is a spiritual practice.

Just make sure your chakras are aligned. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
18-09-2017, 08:12 PM
(18-09-2017 07:48 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

I'm impressed about the splits. Yoga is only stretching? You mean I didn't need to do this today? Tongue

[Image: portrait-beautiful-woman-doing-eight-ang...616534.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Chakra?

That's deep in the dummy zone girl.