What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2017, 05:41 AM
RE: What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?
(19-09-2017 05:35 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Yoga isn't just about stretching. It's changed my life in many ways. It helps me relax with its variety of meditation and breathing techniques. It helps me deal with life head on. I used to have really bad anxiety and depression. I suffered from an eating disorder, I killed my knee from a knee injury from running. All of that gone thanks to yoga. It's really helped me survive and live my happy place. I was not the same person you know today prior to yoga and its techniques/philosophy of life. And I'm not talking woo, I'm talking ancient techniques on health and wellness.

To add onto this, and whilst I'm nowhere near JennyBee level of Yoga practicing I can vouch the power of yoga as well. A few years back it helped me chill out and relax, lose weight, gain strength and overall feel good about myself, which was during a fairly dark time for me, and it was the on ray of sunshine that kinda kept me going for a little bit.

I don't practice it as much as I used to, but it helped me a lot and is my "go to" thing when I'm not feeling so good.

I'm not one for woo-ness or anything like that, but incorporating the ideas of yoga & meditation, and on a larger scale Buddhism as a whole for me, really can change your life for the positive, in my experience anyway. I still class myself as an Atheist, but I also class myself as "Myself" as well, and this is one of the things that brings out the "happy" me as it were. I don't believe in spirits or afterlives, but there is nothing wrong with taking a positive teaching and using it.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
19-09-2017, 05:49 AM
(19-09-2017 05:41 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  To add onto this, and whilst I'm nowhere near JennyBee level of Yoga practicing I can vouch the power of yoga as well. A few years back it helped me chill out and relax, lose weight, gain strength and overall feel good about myself, which was during a fairly dark time for me, and it was the on ray of sunshine that kinda kept me going for a little bit.

That's what happens when one exercises. Jenny knows I am a martial arts master. Because of this I feel no compunction to call it as I see it from my decades living it.

Yoga to me was a really boring way to stretch. It had nothing that would add to my depth. I had no need of that.

Yoga is exercise. Nothing more.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
19-09-2017, 05:56 AM
(19-09-2017 05:49 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(19-09-2017 05:41 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  To add onto this, and whilst I'm nowhere near JennyBee level of Yoga practicing I can vouch the power of yoga as well. A few years back it helped me chill out and relax, lose weight, gain strength and overall feel good about myself, which was during a fairly dark time for me, and it was the on ray of sunshine that kinda kept me going for a little bit.

That's what happens when one exercises. Jenny knows I am a martial arts master. Because of this I feel no compunction to call it as I see it from my decades living it.

Yoga to me was a really boring way to stretch. It had nothing that would add to my depth. I had no need of that.

Yoga is exercise. Nothing more.

Yoga isn't just stretching from an exercise standpoint--it also has strength and balancing exercises as well and if you add in vinyasa (flowing movement with a series of poses), cardio aspects as well. Yoga itself the asanas or poses-yes, exercise, you are right. But yogic philosophy--the philosophy behind all that has very little to do with the poses, in fact traditionally speaking, the poses are only a small part of yoga/yoga way of life.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-09-2017, 05:58 AM
(19-09-2017 01:54 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 06:23 PM)ImFred Wrote:  DON'T SAY IT!!!

actually you're probably a very rare exception

I still hate that damn word. I think I give Sam Harris a pass, as well.

It just chaps my ass. Can't help it.

tl;dr version of my post.

Thanks Fred Thumbsup

Or I could just live my life for me Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
19-09-2017, 05:59 AM
Jenny. I just put yoga on a level with martial arts.

Were I you, I'd take the compliment.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
19-09-2017, 06:58 AM
(19-09-2017 01:58 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  "silent waters are deep" as we say here.

So do we Wink

But I just meant that the vast majority (if not all) of my conflicts are internal Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
19-09-2017, 08:33 AM
We need to understand that good behaviors (including exercise) don't need to be called "religious" or "spiritual" at all. Virtues have their own rewards. Then perhaps we could stop using such ill-defined terms.
[+] 5 users Like Thoreauvian's post
19-09-2017, 05:20 PM
To be spiritual but not religious means that you drink hard liquor, but not necessarily every day.

Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
19-09-2017, 06:40 PM
(18-09-2017 01:55 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 12:54 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  To me, spiritualism is just a half-way house for recovering religious people.
Or another trap. House full of crystals instead of crosses.

It can be, sure. I know I spent a few years after abandoning theism wandering through the lands of irrationality.

But even at this ripe age, I value spirituality in the sense of understanding my small place in a large space. For me, it means in large part "humility in the face of what awes me."

I doubt that's very useful to anyone outside myself.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-09-2017, 06:57 PM
I think it's an attempt to step beyond the tribe of theists without alienating that tribe.

Also it's a nomenclature for a system that tries to classify people's "selves" as being separate from their physical bodies. While many of us feel, physically, that there's something to be teased out here, there's no evidence that I'm aware of that anything beyond imagination and wishful thinking is operative.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post