What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2017, 07:54 PM
RE: What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?
(19-09-2017 06:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  But even at this ripe age, I value spirituality in the sense of understanding my small place in a large space.

Isn't that just being honest?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
19-09-2017, 11:43 PM
(18-09-2017 02:44 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 01:29 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  They probably think this position is more defensible (than religion) because its more vague. Facepalm

However (imho) this shows they still do not intend to have their belief questioned and it doesnt speak for much introspection on their side.

Its still intellectually lazy, and i dont respect lazy people. Drinking Beverage

I think there are a lot more "spiritual" atheists than you may realize, none of them lazy. We had a thread on here awhile back and several members on here said they considered themselves to be "spiritual"--myself included. Some said they found a spirituality in nature--and not in the woo way. For me, it's my yoga practice--again not in the woo way. You can be spiritual without the woo. Spiritual can be defined as something "affecting the human spirit." The human spirit can be a term to describe who you are as a person, your make-up, your psyche. It doesn't have to be woo-ish.

Exactly, so far as i'm concerned. My spirituality is solely a humility in the face of the uncontrollable. It touches me, because I understand that it is beyond me. Whether I'm in the woods and listening to animals I cannot name, or whether I'm in my backyard looking up at stars I cannot name -- or whether I'm in the same room with another person and enjoying a moment I cannot define -- in that sense, I'm very comfortable with the unknown and the possibility that it can be larger than I am.

In those moments, my favorite word is "okay". Because when the world is talking, it's best I should shut the fuck up.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
20-09-2017, 12:02 AM
(18-09-2017 05:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Religion and claiming spirituality both imply that you think you are better than those who don't claim either.

Pretty sure no one is telling you you're lesser for disagreeing.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
20-09-2017, 12:10 AM
(18-09-2017 06:00 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I'll beat the spirit right out of you, goddamnit.

<laughter>

You'd better pack a sack lunch, boyo. You're gonna be all day at it.
20-09-2017, 12:28 AM
(19-09-2017 07:54 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(19-09-2017 06:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  But even at this ripe age, I value spirituality in the sense of understanding my small place in a large space.

Isn't that just being honest?

Sure. Try telling that to people who import their own values into that word "spirituality" -- because as much as they complain that it is not defined, they sure do gripe against it wherever they see it. <shrug>
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
20-09-2017, 01:23 AM
(18-09-2017 01:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So far there's never been any evidence of anything "spiritual". As far as I can tell it's just another word for "feelings" and the warm fuzzy emotions emanating from our brains when it interact with the world around us.

To Girly it means that there are aspects of the Bob which are irreducible to material cause and thus not only defy scientific explanation, they are inherently inexplicable to the point of being ineffable. So saith the Slack.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-09-2017, 01:32 AM
(19-09-2017 11:43 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 02:44 PM)jennybee Wrote:  ...
Spiritual can be defined as something "affecting the human spirit." The human spirit can be a term to describe who you are as a person, your make-up, your psyche. It doesn't have to be woo-ish.

Exactly, so far as i'm concerned. My spirituality is solely a humility in the face of the uncontrollable. It touches me, because I understand that it is beyond me. Whether I'm in the woods and listening to animals I cannot name, or whether I'm in my backyard looking up at stars I cannot name -- or whether I'm in the same room with another person and enjoying a moment I cannot define -- in that sense, I'm very comfortable with the unknown and the possibility that it can be larger than I am.

In those moments, my favorite word is "okay". Because when the world is talking, it's best I should shut the fuck up.

It might be the way I'm reading it (i.e. my own biases) but that struck me as an 'antithetically' rather than an 'exactly'.

Although both positions (not yoga positions; philosophical positions) are sensual, one (Jenny's) strikes me as related to, to steal from Kant, phenomena and the other (Thump's) as related to noumena.

One has the self as the fixed point and the universe as the variable; the other has the universe as fixed and the self as the variable.

One is outside-in (internalising) and the other is inside-out (externalising).

Or to put another way:

vs.:

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
20-09-2017, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2017 01:51 AM by GirlyMan.)
(18-09-2017 02:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  But the real egocentrical wooees claim the even more elite " in a personal relationship with God"....

Someday I expect to meet some twat who will claim to be " God's spiritual guide".

Dude, Girly is God. I AM.

(18-09-2017 02:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Ego knows no boundaries.

I think you are missing the point of Girly going full Jesus. The goal is the elimination of desire and attachment by self-abrogation through intentional and willful self-deconstruction and dissolution. The way to overcome the suffering caused by attachment and desire is not detachment, it is the annulment of the attacher. Egocide if you like. This is the lesson of the parable of the rich man who has less of a chance of experiencing the divine than a camel passing through the eye of a needle.

10 more months. If Girly can hang on 10 more months, I retire and the US taxpayers are gonna pay me 6 figures to go full Jesus. But this time around nobody gets crucified 'cause Jesus has a defined benefits retirement package. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-09-2017, 02:50 AM
(20-09-2017 01:41 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
The goal is the elimination of desire and attachment by self-abrogation through intentional and willful self-deconstruction and dissolution. The way to overcome the suffering caused by attachment and desire is not detachment, it is the annulment of the attacher. Egocide if you like.

And what, prithee, does one have left once one has sacrificed self?

What is this undead self-less thing?

How can one have elevation without degradation?

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-09-2017, 03:02 AM
Can we have a schism? The Christian Church has them all the time. It's about time us Atheists had a schism of our own. I propose to split on the question of whether or not we are spiritual but not religious, or not religious but spiritual. Oh yeah, and anyone who says they're "not spiritual AND not religious" can butt the fuck out. We're having a schism here. Angry Unless you want to be sat on.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post