What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2017, 05:07 AM
RE: What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?
(20-09-2017 03:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  Can we have a schism? The Christian Church has them all the time. It's about time us Atheists had a schism of our own. I propose to split on the question of whether or not we are spiritual but not religious, or not religious but spiritual. Oh yeah, and anyone who says they're "not spiritual AND not religious" can butt the fuck out. We're having a schism here. Angry Unless you want to be sat on.

Those of you who want to be contemplative but neither spiritual nor religious meet over here. The SBNR and NRBS crowds are both hopelessly misled. CBNSNR is the truth.
Worship Slaves

Knights who say NI!

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
20-09-2017, 05:19 AM
Damn peoples front of SNBR!

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
20-09-2017, 05:40 AM
It usually means that a person is more interested in pleasing others than actual belief.
Usually.
I'll grant that there are things that tend to walk the line of the "spiritual" such as Transcendental Meditation.
A few such things have some merit.
But none require any level of woo.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 2 users Like BikerDude's post
20-09-2017, 10:58 AM
(20-09-2017 02:50 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And what, prithee, does one have left once one has sacrificed self?

What is this undead self-less thing?

Think Alzheimer's, except the brain still functions properly, it just don't feel like playing the game.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-09-2017, 11:13 AM
(18-09-2017 06:07 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 01:08 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Being spiritual means exactly the same thing as being religious means: whatever the person in question says it means.

This is an issue both of people self-applying labels how they see fit, and also of said labels being super vague and poorly defined. Ask any random person what a religion or a god is. You're not going to get a meaningful consensus on either, because people largely adhere to a "I know it when I see it" philosophy on these matters.

A slightly shorter answer is "they're mostly the same, but you're seeing an increasing stigma against 'being religious'".
I think this is by far the best analysis of "spiritual but not religious". It is simply roll-our own religion, and can be as formless and void or as detailed as you want it to be.

Or at least I think this is the most generally applicable. JennyBee is something of a special case, exemplified I suspect by the book The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality. In this sense spirituality is just self awareness and focus on personal growth in the great virtues and perhaps some form of secular meditation. I think "spirituality" is a bit of a misnomer there but I'm reluctant to be a grammar Nazi about it.

This is how I see myself. It's basically looking inward to see the causes of emotional, habitual, reactionary responses to situations. It helps me understand my actions and to be more compassionate. Needless to say, if you've followed my posts, I have a LOT of work to do. Sites like this can bring out the asshole side of me.
[+] 2 users Like kemo boy's post
20-09-2017, 11:15 AM
(18-09-2017 07:09 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 07:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  It needs a new word because "spirituality" is poisoned by religion. "Mindfulness" maybe... I'd go with "grok" except it is too harsh sounding for the state. Big Grin

God almighty, mindfulness is even worse. UGH.

Someone once said I had a very peaceful aura/presence or something like this. Woo-y way of putting it but boy, were they right. I just exude peacefulness [Image: meditationf.gif]

While on the inside, it's all bubble, bubble, toil and trouble Rolleyes

Mindfulness has nothing to do with auras.
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post
20-09-2017, 11:21 AM
(20-09-2017 11:15 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 07:09 PM)Vera Wrote:  God almighty, mindfulness is even worse. UGH.

Someone once said I had a very peaceful aura/presence or something like this. Woo-y way of putting it but boy, were they right. I just exude peacefulness [Image: meditationf.gif]

While on the inside, it's all bubble, bubble, toil and trouble Rolleyes

Mindfulness has nothing to do with auras.

Did I say it did? Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
20-09-2017, 11:23 AM
(20-09-2017 11:21 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-09-2017 11:15 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  Mindfulness has nothing to do with auras.

Did I say it did? Drinking Beverage

Sorry, misread your post.
20-09-2017, 11:27 AM
(18-09-2017 07:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 07:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  JB is describing something that is a real state of mind; self-awareness, calmness, inner peace, whatever you want to call it and I also find seeking that state to be valuable (just not via yoga). I agree that calling it "spirituality" is, at best, unfortunate because of the connotations that brings of some kind of supernatural interaction.

It needs a new word because "spirituality" is poisoned by religion. "Mindfulness" maybe... I'd go with "grok" except it is too harsh sounding for the state. Big Grin

The main problem I have with "spiritual but not religious" is that it really doesn't tell you much other than that the person doesn't closely follow an organized religion. They might simply meditate to reach grok or they might believe in a god and think they communicate with angels and see auras and whatever other woo they find convincing. It's a useless term because the meaning is different for every individual that uses it.

For me it's not just self-awareness, it's that I also implement yogic philosophy via ancient texts into my life. That's why I use the term "spiritual" because I'm not really sure what else you would call it without my getting into a whole soliloquy (The whole I'm an atheist who follows a sattvic diet, uses chakras, says om, follows yogic philosophy, etc, thing). If there was another term that better describes my philosophy of life, I would gladly use it. I certainly don't use the term to feel special-I just think it's the best term available to describe my philosophy of life.

(20-09-2017 12:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(19-09-2017 07:54 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Isn't that just being honest?

Sure. Try telling that to people who import their own values into that word "spirituality" -- because as much as they complain that it is not defined, they sure do gripe against it wherever they see it. <shrug>

I didn't import my own values into the assessment that this is woo/religion. I read the description written.

- Implementing the teachings of ancient texts
- following the diet from same
- using chakras
- etc...

Where did I import my own definition into this definition?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
20-09-2017, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2017 12:27 PM by jennybee.)
(20-09-2017 11:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 07:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  For me it's not just self-awareness, it's that I also implement yogic philosophy via ancient texts into my life. That's why I use the term "spiritual" because I'm not really sure what else you would call it without my getting into a whole soliloquy (The whole I'm an atheist who follows a sattvic diet, uses chakras, says om, follows yogic philosophy, etc, thing). If there was another term that better describes my philosophy of life, I would gladly use it. I certainly don't use the term to feel special-I just think it's the best term available to describe my philosophy of life.

(20-09-2017 12:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Sure. Try telling that to people who import their own values into that word "spirituality" -- because as much as they complain that it is not defined, they sure do gripe against it wherever they see it. <shrug>

I didn't import my own values into the assessment that this is woo/religion. I read the description written.

- Implementing the teachings of ancient texts
- following the diet from same
- using chakras
- etc...

Where did I import my own definition into this definition?

Traditionally yoga is/was religious. Now for me, if I added in that I personally was doing yoga to connect with a higher power, it of course, would absolutely be religious.

All that said, the westernized version of yoga is anything but religious. If you go to a gym for instance and take a Power Yoga class, it literally is only exercise, no otherworldly powers are invoked, students are not instructed that they must believe in Hindu deities or else their yoga card is revoked. Basically, students can believe (or not believe) as they wish. There are xtian yogis, Buddhist yogis, Jewish yogis, atheist yogis...conforming to a certain religion in the westernized version of yoga is not required or advocated for in the least.

The part of my post re: the ancient texts, sattvic diet, chakras etc--they can be used and have been used traditionally for religious purposes. However, their traditional purpose was also to faciilitate health and wellness. So as I say, I use chakras merely as a focal point during meditation sometimes. This is because one way to meditate is to focus your mind on one thing. That is why I use the chakras on occasion (I also use other things) just as a focal point to keep my mind steady so it doesn't stray. There is nothing religious about what I do as I don't believe in energy centers (i.e. chakras).

I follow a sattvic diet which again--not for religious purposes--I do it because it's a really healthy diet (basically clean eating, no processed foods). Traditionally, this was also done for health and wellness--not just for purity of mind to better connect to a higher plane. Obviously, as an atheist, I don't think my diet is allowing me to connect to a higher plane.

I implement the ancient texts only in regards to health and wellness. The difference between the Bible and Hindu ancient texts is that they incorporate health and wellness aspects within their pages. The Hindu texts also have some really good philosophy that I enjoy reading about and implementing into my life because, imo, there are a lot of valuable things there. But again, I am not doing it to connect with a higher power.

So yes, yoga *can* be religious but it doesn't have to be. It's only religious if you are implementing these things as a way to connect with a higher power. For example, if you went into a yoga class today in th States, not reading anything about yoga, you would have no idea it had any religious components since all you are doing is headstands, stretches, and core and arm strengthening poses. This by itself is not religious--as there are no religious components involved. It would be like doing pilates.

Traditionally, yoga is about calming the mind and the body to connect to a higher plane and it's also about health and wellness. These two things together make it religious. If you take out the "connecting to a higher plane" and simply use the ancient texts for health and wellness, there really is no religious component to it.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post