What does religion have to offer that atheism lacks?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2016, 06:52 PM
What does religion have to offer that atheism lacks?
This follows on from the line of thought I was talking about earlier, where morality comes from and it's a question worth asking. I think all of us here can agree that truth isn't even a small part of it but is is still beguiling and I think an underlying reason for that is the same answer as my other question: community.

At the top level a religion is a community that operates in some respects like a nation but at the bottom level individual churches operate as distinct and personal communities on the scale of a small tribe, with similar goals, a mutual interest, and must importantly mutual aid, comfort, and support... and regular meetings, too. And the hierarchy of the church supports the individual churches. People who move to a new area can find a community to join with a ready nade "in" to that community based on their shared religion. That's a very useful and valuable resource and when people think about losing their religion that is a huge thing to lose. There is even some scientific evidence that the religious impulse is somehow linked to the impulse to be part of a community.

Humanists are striving to fill that gap, but are pretty unfocused in doing so and there is no other significant way in which atheist fill, or even can fill, that gap.On one level "the state" takes some of the strain but only in an impersonal way.That could also explain the church's antipathy to state welfare, because it undermines one of the legs that supports the church.

What the church has that atheism lacks is a community.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2016, 07:05 PM
RE: What does religion have to offer that atheism lacks?
Religion offers the illusion of control, and an escape from death. We know death is coming and can't stop it, so religion allays our fears of this eventual event by offering false hope that it can be conquered. The fact that the religious still often fear death shows that part of them doesn't buy it. The other aspect, the illusion of control, is also big. You can't control storms, or volcanoes, or drought. In theory you can't control a god, either, but while an unthinking storm can't be reasoned or pleaded with, a god in charge might be swayed if only you use the right words, burn the right incense, sacrifice the right children. Then there's the community aspect on top of it. Religion offers a lot, most of it lies.
[+] 3 users Like OddGamer's post
01-07-2016, 07:06 PM
An imaginary friend.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
01-07-2016, 07:11 PM
In other words, OP, we should form a United Atheist Church.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
01-07-2016, 07:15 PM
(01-07-2016 06:52 PM)neilxt Wrote:  What the church has that atheism lacks is a community.
Atheism doesn't lack anything.
There is no such thing as atheism.
We ascribe the label "atheist" to a person whom lacks a belief in gods.
Collectively we can say that all atheists lack a belief in gods.

But Athiests isn't a group. It is just a way to distinguish non believers from believers.

Most atheists belong to at least one community, the probably belong to many communities. Atheists don't lack community.
[+] 4 users Like Stevil's post
01-07-2016, 07:20 PM
[Image: Silly-organized-religion.jpg]

I mean... I guess you could still wear a funny hat as an Atheist. But not THOSE funny hats. Well, I suppose you could. But it would be strange.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
01-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Scape goat of responsibility.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
01-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Religion offers false hope. It offers delusion and imaginary rewards that can only be attained after you have died.

It offers imagined immortality and unconditional love from fictional characters.

Religion offers lies and atheism offers you a label you can pin on your shirt. That label, roughly translates to

"I don't believe in your bullshit. "

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
01-07-2016, 10:35 PM
(01-07-2016 07:11 PM)Foxen Wrote:  In other words, OP, we should form a United Atheist Church.

*coughherdingcatscough*

Actually, that's not an accurate metaphor.

Compared to atheists, cats are easy to herd.

Really, all you need is a laser pointer.

That doesn't work on atheists. That doesn't work on most atheists.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
01-07-2016, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2016 11:15 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(01-07-2016 06:52 PM)neilxt Wrote:  Humanists are striving to fill that gap, but are pretty unfocused in doing so and there is no other significant way in which atheist fill, or even can fill, that gap.On one level "the state" takes some of the strain but only in an impersonal way.That could also explain the church's antipathy to state welfare, because it undermines one of the legs that supports the church.

What the church has that atheism lacks is a community.

I'm not sure I read this the same as others posting in this thread.

Secular Humanism is trying to fill the gap left by religion, by bringing together (ideally) like-minded individuals. We have far to go.

Yes, the church does seem to bear strong dislike for state funded programs, because the outreach is part of them expanding their roles. I think in many politicians have zeroed in on that and usurped the message. It's bad for the government to have social programs, because that should be for the churches and communities to offer.

To further complicate this, church attendance is down and rightfully so and I think church corruption/scandals play a large part of this, rather than a rise in disbelief. If people don't want government to help fix the problems of society in general and the churches are unable to, then the idea of secular humanism might rise and find their organizational footing they seem to lack now.

But I remain very optimistic that eventually secular humanism will become the social norm, and will not exactly replace religion but work in a similar fashion without the woo and superstitions to betterment of all.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces