What does religion have to offer that atheism lacks?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2016, 10:34 PM
RE: What does religion have to offer that atheism lacks?
As far as I'm concerned there's all kinds of things religion can offer. It very well might be the case that it's healthier to be religious. But if you don't believe you don't believe. That's it. It's like trying to argue it's better to be old than young. If you're old you can't be young. If you don't believe you can't believe. It's not a choice. You either have the mental capacity to understand it's ridiculous bullshit or you don't. If believing in God made me a billionaire and twenty years old for as long as I wanted to be I still wouldn't believe in God. So what the fuck does it matter to me what religion has to offer. It doesn't offer anything to me. Maybe if I took a stupid pill and became able to believe things that are obviously false. I don't know how that works. It's hard for me to believe that anybody believes. It doesn't seem plausible. It's got to be less than one percent of people who say they believe who actually do. There's just no way that many people are that stupid. It's inconceivable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
02-07-2016, 11:12 PM
Hats. It offers hats.

[Image: Balpreet-Singh-World-Sikh-Organization-of-Canada-01.jpg]

[Image: Bundesarchiv_Bild_121-0320,_Krakau,_Gef%...wester.jpg]

[Image: alex1.jpg]

[Image: pope.jpg]

[Image: 152676.jpg]

[Image: reportint20130825062947663.JPG]

[Image: native-american.jpg]

[Image: flying_spaghetti_monster_pastafarian_wea...lander.jpg]

[Image: hat3_1452879594808_30013766_ver1.0_640_480.jpg]

Opps. That last hat was something worn at the Ascot in the UK. It just kinda snuck in there somehow. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
02-07-2016, 11:30 PM
I'll be goddamned if the pope doesn't look positively satanic.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
02-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Bingo. Religion has bingo on Wednesday nights.
Pancake breakfasts and donuts on the first Sunday of the month.
Atheism don't got that shit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-07-2016, 02:03 AM
(02-07-2016 11:30 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I'll be goddamned if the pope doesn't look positively satanic.

Yep, I can see the resemblance:

[Image: pope.jpg]
[Image: 60355721.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
03-07-2016, 05:30 AM
(02-07-2016 11:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Bingo. Religion has bingo on Wednesday nights.
Pancake breakfasts and donuts on the first Sunday of the month.
Atheism don't got that shit.

Thank god.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
03-07-2016, 05:33 AM
well, on sundays christians get to get up early and listen to a man read cherry picked passages from a book of gibberish that is so readily available that you can find one at any sleazy motel room. what fun.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
03-07-2016, 06:28 AM
(01-07-2016 06:52 PM)neilxt Wrote:  Humanists are striving to fill that gap, but are pretty unfocused in doing so and there is no other significant way in which atheist fill, or even can fill, that gap.On one level "the state" takes some of the strain but only in an impersonal way.That could also explain the church's antipathy to state welfare, because it undermines one of the legs that supports the church.

The problem with humanism, is that's it not very appealing, beyond wearing a pin, or an occasional bumper sticker. Humanism in an organized sense, has as much trouble, if not more trouble, putting people in their pews, as liberal/progressive christian churches do.

The attitude towards it, seems more or less seeing it as benign and harmless, but not necessarily attractive, or appealing enough to join a humanist organization, or evoke committed participation. You'll have more people interested in joining an internet group like this one, than attending a humanist service.

At least with churches, you have a community, sermons, revolving around concepts of everyday life, like forgiveness, love, goodness, charity, models to aspire to, songs that people feel moved by, passion. And contrary to popular imagination you're typical sunday service, is not devoted to preaching fire and brim stone, or about the fear of death.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-07-2016, 06:45 AM
Warm fuzzies and simultaneous death threats. What’s not to like? Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-07-2016, 06:47 AM
(03-07-2016 06:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And contrary to popular imagination you're typical sunday service, is not devoted to preaching fire and brim stone, or about the fear of death.

Quite an assumption on your part.

You do realize that most of us come from a religious background and we know firsthand what church services are like. At least we are familiar with whatever flavor of church we were affiliated with.

Try again.

*your, not you're

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post