What does religion have to offer that atheism lacks?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2016, 06:49 AM
RE: What does religion have to offer that atheism lacks?
(03-07-2016 06:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 06:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And contrary to popular imagination you're typical sunday service, is not devoted to preaching fire and brim stone, or about the fear of death.

Quite an assumption on your part.

You do realize that most of us come from a religious background and we know firsthand what church services are like. At least we are familiar with whatever flavor of church we were affiliated with.

Try again.

So I'm curious what percentage of Sunday sermons in the church your attend would you say were devoted to sermons about hell fire? What was the typical sermon in your view about, on any mundane sunday.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2016, 06:52 AM
(03-07-2016 06:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 06:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And contrary to popular imagination you're typical sunday service, is not devoted to preaching fire and brim stone, or about the fear of death.

Quite an assumption on your part.

You do realize that most of us come from a religious background and we know firsthand what church services are like. At least we are familiar with whatever flavor of church we were affiliated with.

Try again.

*your, not you're

This ^

Many of us broke away from DECADES of indoctrination. For you to imply we need to IMAGINE any of this shit is presumptuous of you and utterly misguided. Stop projecting your uninformed ideas on the rest of us.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-07-2016, 06:54 AM
(03-07-2016 06:52 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 06:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Quite an assumption on your part.

Try again.

*your, not you're

This ^

Many of us broke away from DECADES of indoctrination. For you to imply we need to IMAGINE any of this shit is presumptuous of you and utterly misguided. Stop projecting your uninformed ideas on the rest of us.

You ever heard of negativity bias?

But I'm all ears, if your experience in churches, was so dramatically different than the plethora of Church services I've attended, I'd like to hear about the typical service.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-07-2016, 06:55 AM
(03-07-2016 06:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Try again.

So I'm curious what percentage of Sunday sermons in the church your attend would you say were devoted to sermons about hell fire? What was the typical sermon in your view about, on any mundane sunday.

The Catholic churches I attended didn't dwell on hell.

I remember what they call homilies. Talks about marriage, family, good works, the church needs money, etc. When it was near Holy Days such as Easter and Christmas the sermons/homilies were based on those. During Lent, talks about sacrifice and repentance.

I heard very little talk about hell and/or the devil in church or in Catholic school.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
03-07-2016, 06:57 AM
Hey -- the Catholic Church has ritualistic cannibalism -- ya gotta love that!!!

signed

Jeffrey Dahmer
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-07-2016, 06:57 AM
(03-07-2016 06:55 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 06:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  So I'm curious what percentage of Sunday sermons in the church your attend would you say were devoted to sermons about hell fire? What was the typical sermon in your view about, on any mundane sunday.

The Catholic churches I attended didn't dwell on hell.

I remember what they call homilies. Talks about marriage, family, good works, the church needs money, etc. When it was near Holy Days such as Easter and Christmas the sermons/homilies were based on those. During Lent, talks about sacrifice and repentance.

I heard very little talk about hell and/or the devil in church or in Catholic school.

So basically, the themes of services you attended, were akin to my suggestion.

03-07-2016, 07:03 AM
(03-07-2016 06:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 06:55 AM)Anjele Wrote:  The Catholic churches I attended didn't dwell on hell.

So basically, the themes of services you attended, were akin to my suggestion.

Actually the theme to a Catholic mass is always the same. It leads up to the reenactment of the last supper. It's the same play every time with a commercial break where the priest picks a topic and talks about it. Hellfire just wasn't one of those topics.

I had to move to the deep south to learn that some believers think that Catholics are akin to Satanists...that was news to me and I grew up surrounded by Catholics.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

03-07-2016, 07:11 AM
(03-07-2016 06:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Try again.

In my Baptist church, hell was at least mentioned every Sunday. As for sermons devoted to hellfire, the vast majority of the sermons were about the world as a perilous place precisely because hellfire was the outcome, and there were always a couple of sentences about how horrible hell would be. The sermons also concentrated on our sinful natures and how the devil was always lying in wait to tempt us. As the "call" to salvation was done every week--that's when the pastor asks for anyone who wants to be saved to walk down to the front of the church--there was always hell on the agenda, sometimes in the forefront, other times off to the side.

The few Christians I know who are still attempting to convert me always default to Hell and eternal damnation as the reasons I should accept Jesus as my savior. As they can't point to any positives (their lives aren't measurably better than mine, they aren't measurably happier or more satisfied than I am, my wishes and hopes go as answered or un as their prayers), they go for the negative.
03-07-2016, 07:14 AM
(03-07-2016 07:11 AM)julep Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 06:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  So I'm curious what percentage of Sunday sermons in the church your attend would you say were devoted to sermons about hell fire? What was the typical sermon in your view about, on any mundane sunday.

In my Baptist church, hell was at least mentioned every Sunday. As for sermons devoted to hellfire, the vast majority of the sermons were about the world as a perilous place precisely because hellfire was the outcome, and there were always a couple of sentences about how horrible hell would be. The sermons also concentrated on our sinful natures and how the devil was always lying in wait to tempt us. As the "call" to salvation was done every week--that's when the pastor asks for anyone who wants to be saved to walk down to the front of the church--there was always hell on the agenda, sometimes in the forefront, other times off to the side.

The few Christians I know who are still attempting to convert me always default to Hell and eternal damnation as the reasons I should accept Jesus as my savior. As they can't point to any positives (their lives aren't measurably better than mine, they aren't measurably happier or more satisfied than I am, my wishes and hopes go as answered or un as their prayers), they go for the negative.

Out of curiosity, what denomination was that? Southern Baptist?

***NVM Just noticed you mentioned in your post

03-07-2016, 07:27 AM
My kids weren't raised in religion. However, they were all allowed to attend church with friends whenever they wanted to...or had to because they stayed the night in a home where Sunday morning services attendance was required. Between the three I think at least one of them attended Pentecostal, Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, UU, and even JW at one time or another.

At about age 11 my son went to a Christian music concert with a friend...the singer Carman if I remember correctly. He later went to a tent revival with that same friend. He came home so rattled by the screaming preacher threatening hellfire and brimstone that he has never attended another religious function. One occasion and he was done. I can't imagine what that sort of preaching does to a person when they have endured it from the cradle.