What does religion have to offer that atheism lacks?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2016, 07:37 AM
RE: What does religion have to offer that atheism lacks?
(03-07-2016 07:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  At about age 11 my son went to a Christian music concert with a friend...the singer Carman if I remember correctly. He later went to a tent revival with that same friend. He came home so rattled by the screaming preacher threatening hellfire and brimstone that he has never attended another religious function. One occasion and he was done. I can't imagine what that sort of preaching does to a person when they have endured it from the cradle.

You don't have to imagine, most children are raised in a religious home, went to church. They don't seem particularly anymore maladjusted, less happy, than children raised void of attending church. And most wellbeing indexes, place individuals that attend church, higher in a variety of areas, than those that don't.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2016, 07:41 AM
(03-07-2016 06:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 06:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Quite an assumption on your part.

You do realize that most of us come from a religious background and we know firsthand what church services are like. At least we are familiar with whatever flavor of church we were affiliated with.

Try again.

So I'm curious what percentage of Sunday sermons in the church your attend would you say were devoted to sermons about hell fire? What was the typical sermon in your view about, on any mundane sunday.

On any mundane Sunday at my Churches, I heard sermons that were about a completely false view of the World, a view that was based on a false metaphysics, no epistemology to speak of, a truly evil ethics and authoritarianism. I can get together with people and sing and share fellowship and have cake and cookies afterwards without being fed philosophical poison. Religion is what it is and teaches what it teaches regardless of how often the death threats are made explicit.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
03-07-2016, 07:44 AM
(03-07-2016 06:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 06:52 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  This ^

Many of us broke away from DECADES of indoctrination. For you to imply we need to IMAGINE any of this shit is presumptuous of you and utterly misguided. Stop projecting your uninformed ideas on the rest of us.

You ever heard of negativity bias?

But I'm all ears, if your experience in churches, was so dramatically different than the plethora of Church services I've attended, I'd like to hear about the typical service.

First you project your generalizations and when called on it THEN you ask for personal experiences? Dodgy

Next time ask first.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-07-2016, 07:50 AM
(03-07-2016 07:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 07:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  At about age 11 my son went to a Christian music concert with a friend...the singer Carman if I remember correctly. He later went to a tent revival with that same friend. He came home so rattled by the screaming preacher threatening hellfire and brimstone that he has never attended another religious function. One occasion and he was done. I can't imagine what that sort of preaching does to a person when they have endured it from the cradle.

You don't have to imagine, most children are raised in a religious home, went to church. They don't seem particularly anymore maladjusted, less happy, than children raised void of attending church. And most wellbeing indexes, place individuals that attend church, higher in a variety of areas, than those that don't.

I was talking about the screaming hellfire preachers. Since I didn't live that experience I surmise that being yelled at like that can become background noise for some. It is shown on this forum that a lot of people suffer long term negative effects of being told they are going to burn in hell for eternity for being human.

I am not going to jump out there and claim that I know how the effects of years of exposure to such things can affect a person in the short or long term.

I do know that continued exposure to screaming anger and threats didn't do me any favors. Luckily I didn't have to dress up and go to church for treatment like that.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
03-07-2016, 07:53 AM
(03-07-2016 07:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You don't have to imagine, most children are raised in a religious home, went to church. They don't seem particularly anymore maladjusted, less happy, than children raised void of attending church. And most wellbeing indexes, place individuals that attend church, higher in a variety of areas, than those that don't.

Citation please.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

03-07-2016, 07:58 AM
(03-07-2016 07:53 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 07:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You don't have to imagine, most children are raised in a religious home, went to church. They don't seem particularly anymore maladjusted, less happy, than children raised void of attending church. And most wellbeing indexes, place individuals that attend church, higher in a variety of areas, than those that don't.

Citation please.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/152723/Religi...being.aspx

"In other words, regular churchgoers seem to do better than non-churchgoers or occasional churchgoers in terms of their daily positive wellbeing experiences. This underscores previous Gallup research that finds very religious Americans do better across numerous dimensions of wellbeing than do those who are less religious or not at all religious."

http://www.gallup.com/poll/153374/church...ndays.aspx

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-07-2016, 08:05 AM
In the first set of numbers the Very Religious and the Non-Religious show a difference of 3.5. How is that a significant difference?

Also note that the Moderately Religious have a lower wellbeing number than the Non-religious.

This is supposed to be proof of what?

A span of 63.7 to 69.2 isn't impressive.

You did provide a citation but it didn't prove your analysis.

03-07-2016, 08:09 AM
The other graph is based on how often religious people attend church.

Some people who identify as religious don't attend services on a regular basis, or at all. Atheists aren't even in the equation.

Again, it's a citation that doesn't back what you say.

03-07-2016, 08:41 AM
I don't understand the question. Smile
03-07-2016, 08:44 AM
(03-07-2016 08:09 AM)Anjele Wrote:  The other graph is based on how often religious people attend church.

Some people who identify as religious don't attend services on a regular basis, or at all. Atheists aren't even in the equation.

Again, it's a citation that doesn't back what you say.

Of course it doesn't if you read it as supportive of something I didn't suggest.

The question you earlier suggested, "I can't imagine what that sort of preaching does to a person when they have endured it from the cradle."

My studies, at least show that while you might imagine negative effects among those exposed to common christian preachings from the cradle, the opposite seems to be true, that overall, individuals who attend church (exposed to such preachings frequently), show positive effects on well-being surveys.