What does science say about firearms?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
04-10-2017, 03:38 PM
RE: What does science say about firearms?
(04-10-2017 12:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-10-2017 12:32 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Ok, take a swimming pool and try to suddenly murder 59 people.

I could do it. Drinking Beverage

If anyone could, I suspected it would be you. Blink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
04-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Could someone confirm this—or shoot it down... uh. Confused

"I was standing in a shooting range 15 miles south of Kennesaw, Ga., a place known as “America's Gun City” because of a law requiring residents to own firearms."

And if it's in fact true, what's the reasoning behind it?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-10-2017, 08:57 PM
I remember that on the news when I was a kid.

Dead Milkman Lyrics:

"There's a town in Georgia where it's on the books
If we all have guns then we won't have crooks"
04-10-2017, 09:03 PM
https://youtu.be/r3AO8hUwQpE

Dead Milkmen song
04-10-2017, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017 09:13 PM by JDog554.)
(04-10-2017 08:35 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Could someone confirm this—or shoot it down... uh. Confused

"I was standing in a shooting range 15 miles south of Kennesaw, Ga., a place known as “America's Gun City” because of a law requiring residents to own firearms."

You can read about it here but

tl;dr the law exists but was never meant to be enforced, it was created as a symbolic response to a handgun ban in a city in Illinois to support the 2nd amendment.

Even More tl;dr

No one is required to own a gun.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
04-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Watered down or not that's pretty high on the nut-o-meter, especially pre-trump
05-10-2017, 04:03 AM
(04-10-2017 12:22 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  Similar to having a swimming pool

Or a rental truck.

You have to be odd to be #1.
05-10-2017, 05:22 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 05:28 AM by OakTree500.)
(04-10-2017 03:14 PM)ImFred Wrote:  The only sane solution is to fill all the swimming pools with assault rifles.

Or fill guns with pool water?

[Image: giphy.webp]

Here's what Chris Rock has to say about it:

Quote:You don’t need no gun control, you know what you need? We need some bullet control.

I think all bullets should cost five thousand dollars… five thousand dollars per bullet… You know why? Cause if a bullet cost five thousand dollars there would be no more innocent bystanders.

Yeah! Every time somebody get shot we’d say, ‘Damn, he must have done something ... Shit, he’s got fifty thousand dollars worth of bullets in his ass.’

And people would think before they killed somebody if a bullet cost five thousand dollars. ‘Man I would blow your fucking head off…if I could afford it.’ ‘I’m gonna get me another job, I’m going to start saving some money, and you’re a dead man. You’d better hope I can’t get no bullets on layaway.’

So even if you get shot by a stray bullet, you wouldn't have to go to no doctor to get it taken out. Whoever shot you would take their bullet back, like "I believe you got my property.”

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
05-10-2017, 05:53 AM
We have a pool in our back yard. It would be really tough to carry it to a concert site to kill people with it. The number of potential victims is quite small.

We have guns too. We employ appropriate safety measures for both.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
05-10-2017, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 06:10 AM by BikerDude.)
(04-10-2017 08:35 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Could someone confirm this—or shoot it down... uh. Confused

Yes.
And it is the height of stupidity.
There is no reasoning behind it.
It's undoubtedly fueled by paranoia. Probably irrational fear of muslims.
I just can't imagine what it is like to live in fear that is enough to send you over the deep end.
And it's nothing new.
Fear has always brought out the lunatic in people.
Hunter Thompson wrote about something similar in his book "Hell's Angels" when he interviewed the mayor of Laconia NH about a riot that had occurred at the Laconia Motorcycle rally. A motorist drove into a crowd of bikes and hit one of them.
The crowd pulled him from the car and rolled it over and someone set it ablaze.
Cops came and broke it up.
But in the wake of it you can see that there is no limit on the bullshit that people can convince themselves of.
Keep in mind that in 1964 there wasn't a single Hell's Angel within 2000 mile of New Hampshire.

Quote:Mayor Lessard spent most of Sunday investigating the riot, and by Monday he was able to report it
had been Communist- inspired and of Mexican origin, with the Hell's Angels doing the legwork. The
mayor, the police chief and the local safety commissioner agreed that the Hell's Angels had "caused
all the trouble." They had been plotting it for months.
I expected a denial of the strange intelligence attributed to him by The New York Times. . . but no, he
was proud of his insights and eager to be quoted further. I had no sooner mentioned the Hell's Angels
than he began to ramble about "ringleaders, Communists and narcotics." He was privy to information
that four Hell's Angels had been arrested in Connecticut, en route to Laconia with a "carload of drugs,
hand weapons and a sawed-off shotgun." He was not sure whether these four had trained south of the
border. "I'd rather not say where we got the information that they trained in Mexico," he said.
"It was confidential. It came in the mail. But I turned it over to the FBI right away. They're following up on
the Communist angle. We got some pictures of them wearing swastikas."*
* No swastikas were visible in any of the photos he sent me, which presumably were the most
convincing he could round up.
When I asked him how many Hell's Angels had been arrested he said none, or none that admitted it
anyway. Not even those four bums in Connecticut would admit to being Angels. At one point
somebody in Laconia had seen a car with California plates, but it too had disappeared.
About halfway through our talk I got a strong whiff of the transmogrification factor, but I was hardly
prepared for the mayor's special fillip on it. There were plenty of Hell's Angels at the riot, "but they
escaped," he explained, "behind a wall of fire." While he elaborated on this I checked my calender to
make sure I hadn't lost track of the days. If it was Sunday, perhaps he had just come back from church
in a high, biblical state of mind. At any moment I expected to hear that the Angels had driven their
motorcycles straight into the sea, which had rolled back to let them pass. But no, it wasn't like that.
The mayor was not loath to give details of the escape; he wanted law enforcement agencies
everywhere to be warned of the Angels' methods. Knowledge is power, he opined.
So Mayor Lessard described for me, in what sounded like sober tones, how the Hell's Angels — prior
to the riot — had soaked a major egress road with gasoline. And then, at the height of the violence,
just as they were about to be arrested, they roared out of town at great speed. . . and the last one to
cross the gasoline soak dropped a match on it. A sheet of flame exploded in the night, making pursuit
impossible. Yes, it was the old firewall technique, a legacy of the Boer War. It was highly successful
in Laconia. The lawmen were stopped in their tracks by heat so intense that it presumably scrambled
the crystals in their shortwave-radio transmitters. Had the Hell's Angels been any less clever, they
might have been intercepted, by means of a general alert, somewhere between New Hampshire and
California.
As it was, they made it back safely, and with plenty of time to shake the cross-country dust out of their
clothes for the Bass Lake Run just two weeks later. There was no denying the wizardry of it, and
when the clan came together it was a prime topic of conversation. Everybody wanted to congratulate
the hardies who'd pulled it off. . . but for some reason nobody spoke up. The only Angel who knew
anything more about Laconia than what the others had read in the newspapers was Tiny, whose ex-
wife had called him from a Laconia telephone booth at the height of the action. One of the low points
of the Bass Lake Run was Tiny's rueful declaration that no Angels had made it to Laconia.

Now imagine a whole town consumed with this sort of lunacy passing laws that everybody needs to be armed.
Except it's probably Muslims training in Mexico to come in and take over their jerk water shit hole.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]