What does the word ‘god’ refer to?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
23-10-2016, 05:46 AM
RE: What does the word ‘god’ refer to?
(19-08-2016 02:57 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Now see, you lied. This isn't a question for atheists, it's a question for theists. .......

The atheists know the definition of the True God, but the ignostics do not know.
Atheists are not ignostics, aren't they?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2016, 06:06 AM
(23-10-2016 05:46 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 02:57 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Now see, you lied. This isn't a question for atheists, it's a question for theists. .......

The atheists know the definition of the True God, but the ignostics do not know.

Since this imaginary "true god" has no proof of its existence it has no official definition. Whatever definition any random theist pulls out of his/her ass is equally worthless.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
23-10-2016, 06:35 AM
(23-10-2016 05:46 AM)theBorg Wrote:  

I know the definitions of many imaginary things.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
23-10-2016, 06:58 AM
(23-10-2016 06:06 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(23-10-2016 05:46 AM)theBorg Wrote:  The atheists know the definition of the True God, but the ignostics do not know.

Since this imaginary "true god" has no proof of its existence it has no official definition. Whatever definition any random theist pulls out of his/her ass is equally worthless.

Let us remember that just believing in Science doesn't make the believer a scientist. Even a non-educated person, scientifically speaking, can also believe in Science. But in this case, this means he accepted to become a blind follower of those who claim being scientists Wink

Also, just believing that a Creator does exist doesn't let the believer different, in term of knowledge, from the one who doesn't believe it does. Their only difference is that the former believer accepted to be a blind follower of the so-called representatives of a certain god or goddess (presented as the True Creator) while the latter one diddn't.

In other words, saying that a god exists or not doesn't provide any information by itself. This is why I asked the question of this thread.

So, for example, if one defines the word 'god' as referring to something imaginary... such a god cannot exist for him... by definition Wink

Facts that don't need evidences:
Sheep for milk live in peace because it is the will of their rich owners.
Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
Whoever has ears will hear.
23-10-2016, 07:05 AM
(23-10-2016 06:35 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-10-2016 05:46 AM)theBorg Wrote:  The atheists know the definition of the True God, but the ignostics do not know.

I know the definitions of many imaginary things.

In this case, all these defined things as being imaginary shouldn't exist in your realm for sure (I try avoiding the expression... in your reality Wink ).

Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
23-10-2016, 08:54 AM

[Image: 4241485.jpg]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
23-10-2016, 09:21 AM
(23-10-2016 07:05 AM)KerimF Wrote:  
(23-10-2016 06:35 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I know the definitions of many imaginary things.

In this case, all these defined things as being imaginary shouldn't exist in your realm for sure (I try avoiding the expression... in your reality Wink ).

Saying realm instead of reality doesn't make your assertions less fucking wrong or stupid. You're just playing word games so you don't have to back what you say up.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
23-10-2016, 09:29 AM
(23-10-2016 06:58 AM)KerimF Wrote:  
(23-10-2016 06:06 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Since this imaginary "true god" has no proof of its existence it has no official definition. Whatever definition any random theist pulls out of his/her ass is equally worthless.

Let us remember that just believing in Science doesn't make the believer a scientist. Even a non-educated person, scientifically speaking, can also believe in Science. But in this case, this means he accepted to become a blind follower of those who claim being scientists Wink

The difference being that a person, educated or not, doesn't HAVE to accept what scientists say blindly because at any point the person can test the claims of scientists to see if they are accurate.
There is evidence that can be evaluated, tested, demonstrated, and falsified and if it doesn't hold up its rejected. Science is self correcting, has peer review, and can be easily tested and rejected.

Which makes it better than your silly childish beliefs which have NONE of these very good things. You HAVE to take your beliefs in faith, we do not.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
23-10-2016, 02:01 PM
(23-10-2016 09:29 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(23-10-2016 06:58 AM)KerimF Wrote:  Let us remember that just believing in Science doesn't make the believer a scientist. Even a non-educated person, scientifically speaking, can also believe in Science. But in this case, this means he accepted to become a blind follower of those who claim being scientists Wink

The difference being that a person, educated or not, doesn't HAVE to accept what scientists say blindly because at any point the person can test the claims of scientists to see if they are accurate.
There is evidence that can be evaluated, tested, demonstrated, and falsified and if it doesn't hold up its rejected. Science is self correcting, has peer review, and can be easily tested and rejected.

Which makes it better than your silly childish beliefs which have NONE of these very good things. You HAVE to take your beliefs in faith, we do not.

I thought we both agreed that I am stupid.

But it seems you are not sure yet about it, so you try collecting more proofs about my stupidity from whatever I wrote. But don't you waste your time by doing this? I already told you that it is normal/natural that I look real idiot to very smart persons, as you are.

Or perhaps, you feel that one of your duties in life is to help people (as the readers here) whose minds may not be as brilliant as yours know the posts that they should consider as idiotic (like mine) or real interesting (as yours). In this case, you are a real hero around here.

23-10-2016, 02:35 PM
(23-10-2016 02:01 PM)KerimF Wrote:  
(23-10-2016 09:29 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  The difference being that a person, educated or not, doesn't HAVE to accept what scientists say blindly because at any point the person can test the claims of scientists to see if they are accurate.

I thought we both agreed that I am stupid.

But it seems you are not sure yet about it, so you try collecting more proofs about my stupidity from whatever I wrote. But don't you waste your time by doing this? I already told you that it is normal/natural that I look real idiot to very smart persons, as you are.

Or perhaps, you feel that one of your duties in life is to help people (as the readers here) whose minds may not be as brilliant as yours know the posts that they should consider as idiotic (like mine) or real interesting (as yours). In this case, you are a real hero around here.

Kerim,

If someone makes posts on here that are counter-factual, that is, not congruent with reality, and tries to make those assertions as points in a discussion, then people who know that the facts or argumentation being made are dead wrong will consider that person an idiot, and will likely tell them so.

It's not YOU, and it's not even religious people. We have plenty of atheistic people who come on here and say genuinely stupid stuff, and we're happy to talk to them the same way.

The difference is that Christians not only tend to be fed a lot of bullshit, which they come here to regurgitate (they're convinced it's true because they trust the people who told them, and are appalled that we don't simply swallow it, too), but that you have such a martyr complex built into your programming that you all think it's some kind of personal crusade against you, or personal hatred by atheists here.

1) We don't care what religion you are.

2) We don't belittle people just for who they are.

3) We don't give extra leeway to one belief or another, including our own.

So knock it off and try to just address the things that are being brought up.

You asserted that most people must have what you called blind faith in science, and he explained for you that while what you said is true in the sense that most people don't know how to run science experiments, it ignores the fact that we can have confidence in the fact that anyone can test anything science claims at any point, in the openly-available international public record of scientific claims, and there are hosts of people who do constantly check for errors. Therefore it is not "blind" faith, but faith that the Scientific Method works as we have seen it work.

The same is not true for any of your un-testable, un-detectable, magical claims about god(s). That requires blind faith in what you were told because there's nothing else to check.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post