What does the word ‘god’ refer to?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
19-08-2016, 04:16 PM
RE: What does the word ‘god’ refer to?
(19-08-2016 03:41 PM)KerimF Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 02:57 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Now see, you lied. This isn't a question for atheists, it's a question for theists. They are the ones claiming that a god exists so they have to define it so that it can be evaluated. It isn't my fault that they can't come up with a consistent or even coherent definition. Not even the Format Christians™ do that.

Thank you. I understand from you that god doesn't exist for you because the word god doesn't have a consistent or even coherent definition.

But, on the other hand, this tells me that you, unlike I, like depending on other's definitions to decide if something does exist or not.

Kerim

Your reply is incoherent. Nobody can decide whether or not any particular thing exists until that thing is defined. That is why some people here are igtheists. They take no position on God's existence unless and until someone provides a coherent definition of "God". Why should it be up to us to provide that definition? Let those who claim existence tell us what it is that they claim exists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
19-08-2016, 04:18 PM
(19-08-2016 04:07 PM)KerimF Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 03:49 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Do atheists exist in a different reality? Pretty sure we're all sharing the same dimension here, unless you are writing to us from a parallel universe where things are little different, but yes the word "god" is part of a curse in our reality, maybe not in yours.

You are right.
I am afraid that humans may like similar in their appearance but, in reality, they are not. And although they are all brought into life with brilliant intelligent brains (unless one is hit by a sort of weakness or illness), one cannot find even two persons having exactly the same priorities in life hence following the same paths to live them at best.

Kerim

Huh? Ok I was joking that you live in another reality, yes I know you can't find two people who think or feel the same or live the same life. Why do you think that's a powerful truth you are sharing? It's pretty obvious and I'm a twin, I was literally born with a copy of myself and I know for a fact me and my sister are different people living two completely different lives, isn't that amazing? Rolleyes

Also who says "Humans may look similar..." sounds like an alien giving a lecture in a human biology class, I'm starting to understand your flimsy grasp of English, everything you type sounds weird and you think it sounds smart. You should re-read what you write and think "Can I make this more clear?" and edit it.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
19-08-2016, 04:20 PM
(19-08-2016 03:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 03:24 PM)KerimF Wrote:  You remind me the young men of 'tabolano'...
I mean, I am sorry, you couldn't get what I said...
But please don't worry... I don't expect everyone can answer what I am looking for... rare persons only can Consider

Oh I get the nonsense you post. As with most crazy people, you think your nonsense is special, and only very smart people get it.

You are not special.

Where you are, I am sure there is one special person who has the skill to discover who could also be special (or not) in his surroundings.

Anyway, please be free and keep insulting me. Many on the internet told me clearly that they feel much better after doing it. It is a solid sign (evidence) of their freedom and it helps them hide their inability to provide a serious reply; positive or negative.

Kerim

Facts that don't need evidences:
Sheep for milk live in peace because it is the will of their rich owners.
Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
Whoever has ears will hear.
19-08-2016, 04:23 PM
(19-08-2016 04:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 03:41 PM)KerimF Wrote:  Thank you. I understand from you that god doesn't exist for you because the word god doesn't have a consistent or even coherent definition.

But, on the other hand, this tells me that you, unlike I, like depending on other's definitions to decide if something does exist or not.

Kerim

Your reply is incoherent. Nobody can decide whether or not any particular thing exists until that thing is defined. That is why some people here are igtheists. They take no position on God's existence unless and until someone provides a coherent definition of "God". Why should it be up to us to provide that definition? Let those who claim existence tell us what it is that they claim exists.

Yup, the only correct answer for an atheist, we're not the ones claiming this concept exists, we don't have to define it.

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
19-08-2016, 04:25 PM
(19-08-2016 03:46 PM)KerimF Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 03:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  God refers to part of a curse word.

You goddamn idiot!

Oh... Do you really mean that all what you hear in the word god... is being a part of a curse word?

In this case, I would be real surprised if god... referring to a curse word... could exist in your reality Big Grin

Kerim

Pretty much. When I hear the word "god" I wanna attached "damn" . Kinda like when I hear the word "jesus" I wanna say "jesus fucking christ"......kinda like that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
19-08-2016, 04:25 PM
(19-08-2016 03:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 03:29 PM)KerimF Wrote:  If you don't know for sure what the word god refers to in your opinion, why you didn't say simply: "I don't know" Drinking Beverage

God is what humans have used to explain that which they had not understood yet.

If this is how the word 'god' is seen, it is obvious that such a god doesn't exist.

Kerim

Facts that don't need evidences:
Sheep for milk live in peace because it is the will of their rich owners.
Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
Whoever has ears will hear.
19-08-2016, 04:28 PM
Slack.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-08-2016, 04:28 PM
(19-08-2016 04:25 PM)KerimF Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 03:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  God is what humans have used to explain that which they had not understood yet.

If this is how the word 'god' is seen, it is obvious that such a god doesn't exist.

Kerim

Yup. Like fairies and gnomes and leprechauns.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Do you mean this?

[Image: about-toblerone.png]

People have various meanings and connotations, what is used in a specific context is best to ask. The label of a word doesn't matter so much as the idea or concept meant if the goal is understanding the concept.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-08-2016, 04:31 PM
(19-08-2016 03:41 PM)KerimF Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 02:57 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Now see, you lied. This isn't a question for atheists, it's a question for theists. They are the ones claiming that a god exists so they have to define it so that it can be evaluated. It isn't my fault that they can't come up with a consistent or even coherent definition. Not even the Format Christians™ do that.

Thank you. I understand from you that god doesn't exist for you because the word god doesn't have a consistent or even coherent definition.

Kerim

1. You're using the word "god" as a singular proper noun, as if it has already been adequately defined, which it has not.

2. unfogged didn't just make that assertion that "god" doesn't exist. You're putting words in unfogged's mouth. The words "for you" which follow do not add any meaning to the sentence, either. The reality of these claims are independent of any person's whims. Phrases such as "it's true for me" are either A. figurative or B. false

3. Self described atheists tend to reject specific claims, on the basis of them being untestable, logically paradoxical, and/or incompatible with empirical evidence.

4. When a person is making a claim, the person judging that particular claim does need the claimant to provide their own definition, yes.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 4 users Like cactus's post