What does the word ‘god’ refer to?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
19-08-2016, 04:55 PM
RE: What does the word ‘god’ refer to?
(19-08-2016 04:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 03:41 PM)KerimF Wrote:  But, on the other hand, this tells me that you, unlike I, like depending on other's definitions to decide if something does exist or not.

Thanks for admitting you make up definitions for yourself and then rely on your fictions.

Sorry, I didn't expect you believe you don't have an intelligent human brain as of the ones who have the right to give you the non-fiction definitions.

And please don't tell me the majority has to be right.
Almost the entire world was wrong when Galileo was right and this is one of too many examples in human history.

By the way, if I had to depend on other's thoughts I couldn't have the chance to gain my daily bread (and some extra) for about 4 decades. I have had to design various special electronic controllers based of my thoughts only even if some of them looked to some others as fictions.

Anyway, I understand that you have to see in me the person you used seeing in you Big Grin

Kerim

Facts that don't need evidences:
Sheep for milk live in peace because it is the will of their rich owners.
Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
Whoever has ears will hear.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Ok, I'm confused...are y'all coming over to try my peppers and play with my dogs, or not? I thought we had all this worked out...Huh
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
19-08-2016, 05:16 PM
(19-08-2016 04:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 03:41 PM)KerimF Wrote:  Thank you. I understand from you that god doesn't exist for you because the word god doesn't have a consistent or even coherent definition.

But, on the other hand, this tells me that you, unlike I, like depending on other's definitions to decide if something does exist or not.

Kerim

Your reply is incoherent. Nobody can decide whether or not any particular thing exists until that thing is defined. That is why some people here are igtheists. They take no position on God's existence unless and until someone provides a coherent definition of "God". Why should it be up to us to provide that definition? Let those who claim existence tell us what it is that they claim exists.

In brief, the god (actually there are many gods offered on the table along history) as defined/presented by others cannot exist in my reality, logically speaking.

On the other hand, it is natural that the god, as I perceive based on my personal logical reasoning, exists in my reality as I personally also exist in it Big Grin

But I am afraid that whatever could exist to me it doesn't have to exist to all men as well.
I think I owe you even a simple example.
My father who passed away when I was 9 does exist in me as long as I live while the entire world doesn't have to now anything about him.
Should I ignore my loving father just because the world is not interested in him?
Sorry, for the time being, this is the best example I had in mind.

Kerim

Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
19-08-2016, 05:29 PM
(19-08-2016 04:18 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 04:07 PM)KerimF Wrote:  You are right.
I am afraid that humans may look similar in their appearance but, in reality, they are not. And although they are all brought into life with brilliant intelligent brains (unless one is hit by a sort of weakness or illness), one cannot find even two persons having exactly the same priorities in life hence following the same paths to live them at best.

Kerim

Huh? Ok I was joking that you live in another reality, yes I know you can't find two people who think or feel the same or live the same life. Why do you think that's a powerful truth you are sharing? It's pretty obvious and I'm a twin, I was literally born with a copy of myself and I know for a fact me and my sister are different people living two completely different lives, isn't that amazing? Rolleyes

Also who says "Humans may look similar..." sounds like an alien giving a lecture in a human biology class, I'm starting to understand your flimsy grasp of English, everything you type sounds weird and you think it sounds smart. You should re-read what you write and think "Can I make this more clear?" and edit it.

Don't you see? Wink
If it happens I write your last sentence as you did [ Can I make this more clear? ], someone will jump and shout: Please... please Kerim, try learning how to write English before you post here. In English, we say 'clearer' not 'more clear' Big Grin

Kerim

19-08-2016, 06:09 PM
(19-08-2016 05:29 PM)KerimF Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 04:18 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Huh? Ok I was joking that you live in another reality, yes I know you can't find two people who think or feel the same or live the same life. Why do you think that's a powerful truth you are sharing? It's pretty obvious and I'm a twin, I was literally born with a copy of myself and I know for a fact me and my sister are different people living two completely different lives, isn't that amazing? Rolleyes

Also who says "Humans may look similar..." sounds like an alien giving a lecture in a human biology class, I'm starting to understand your flimsy grasp of English, everything you type sounds weird and you think it sounds smart. You should re-read what you write and think "Can I make this more clear?" and edit it.

Don't you see? Wink
If it happens I write your last sentence as you did [ Can I make this more clear? ], someone will jump and shout: Please... please Kerim, try learning how to write English before you post here. In English, we say 'clearer' not 'more clear' Big Grin

Kerim

Actually "more clear" and "clearer" are grammatically acceptable and you understood what I wrote right? You can still ask yourself when you write something "Does it make sense?" If not, time to edit.

Was my response to you confusing? That's the difference, your style of writing is confusing and lacks coherence..actually your entire intention of even making this thread doesn't make any sense. Why do you care how an atheist defines "God" or "Gods", it's pretty obvious any definition we have been presented with led us to believe it was a fictional being, isn't that what matters? You would need to go back and ask the theists how they define it so you can understand it, not us.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
19-08-2016, 06:33 PM
A god refers to an invented non-existant fictional being that some very gullible people believe actually exist without a shread of evidence to justify that belief.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
19-08-2016, 07:14 PM
(19-08-2016 03:41 PM)KerimF Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 02:57 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Now see, you lied. This isn't a question for atheists, it's a question for theists. They are the ones claiming that a god exists so they have to define it so that it can be evaluated. It isn't my fault that they can't come up with a consistent or even coherent definition. Not even the Format Christians™ do that.

Thank you. I understand from you that god doesn't exist for you because the word god doesn't have a consistent or even coherent definition.

But, on the other hand, this tells me that you, unlike I, like depending on other's definitions to decide if something does exist or not.

Kerim
We really don't give a shit. Also wtf are you saying? I can't even.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like ricepudding12's post
19-08-2016, 09:42 PM
(19-08-2016 05:16 PM)KerimF Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 04:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Your reply is incoherent. Nobody can decide whether or not any particular thing exists until that thing is defined. That is why some people here are igtheists. They take no position on God's existence unless and until someone provides a coherent definition of "God". Why should it be up to us to provide that definition? Let those who claim existence tell us what it is that they claim exists.

In brief, the god (actually there are many gods offered on the table along history) as defined/presented by others cannot exist in my reality, logically speaking.

On the other hand, it is natural that the god, as I perceive based on my personal logical reasoning, exists in my reality as I personally also exist in it Big Grin

But I am afraid that whatever could exist to me it doesn't have to exist to all men as well.
I think I owe you even a simple example.
My father who passed away when I was 9 does exist in me as long as I live while the entire world doesn't have to now anything about him.
Should I ignore my loving father just because the world is not interested in him?
Sorry, for the time being, this is the best example I had in mind.

Kerim

Holding on to the memories of your dead father is not the same as your belief in a god. You can prove that your father existed (I'm assuming). You cannot prove your god exists. Bad example.

Maybe you should try to better describe your god, which exists apparently only in your own reality.
19-08-2016, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2016 10:36 PM by Reltzik.)
(19-08-2016 02:47 PM)KerimF Wrote:  During a journey, I met some locals of a friendly town who were debating about the existence of ‘tabolano’; some said ‘tabolano’ exists while others insist that ‘tabolano’ doesn’t exist.

By curiosity, I asked some young men: “Would you please help me know what the word ‘tabolano’ refers to”.
From both sides, they all look at me and said: “What a silly question!”. Then they went on enjoying their debate about ‘tabolano’.

So I am sorry in advance for the following silly question that I should address to the members here, not as a group of people but as individuals:

To you personally and by using your own words, what does the word ‘god’ refer to?

Kerim

Welcome to ignosticism. I'm here too, because I don't have an answer either.

... well, okay, I figure every believer and quite a few non-believers have their own personal conception of what a god is or isn't, but it's on a case-by-case basis and there's very little by way of a universal definition. Some general themes, perhaps, and some definitions to avoid because they'd confuse 90% of the people you talk to, but no clear definition that's, well, definitive.

... okay, I'm declaring myself done with my gazillion edits of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
19-08-2016, 10:53 PM
(19-08-2016 02:47 PM)KerimF Wrote:  So I am sorry in advance for the following silly question...

If you're sincerely "sorry" for posting this "silly" question, can I then ask you why you decided to do so regardless of this acknowledgement? Was it to deliberately to waste our time? And how many of the other plethora of your questions here have been posted for silly reasons?

Quote:To you personally and by using your own words, what does the word "god" refer to?

A god is a mythical "being" created by humans and given supernatural powers or attributes such as immortality, omniscience, telekinesis, and invisibility. These creations can serve multiple purposes, such as imaginary protection from one's enemies or explanations for the origin of things such as good and evil, fire and wind, or life and death.

Albert Einstein said in a letter written on 3 January 1954: "The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post