What does the word ‘god’ refer to?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
19-08-2016, 11:24 PM
RE: What does the word ‘god’ refer to?
(19-08-2016 03:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 03:24 PM)KerimF Wrote:  You remind me the young men of 'tabolano'...
I mean, I am sorry, you couldn't get what I said...
But please don't worry... I don't expect everyone can answer what I am looking for... rare persons only can Consider

Oh I get the nonsense you post. As with most crazy people, you think your nonsense is special, and only very smart people get it.

You are not special.

[Image: 51809869.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
19-08-2016, 11:24 PM
Hello!

(19-08-2016 05:29 PM)KerimF Wrote:  Don't you see? Wink
If it happens I write your last sentence as you did [ Can I make this more clear? ], someone will jump and shout: Please... please Kerim, try learning how to write English before you post here. In English, we say 'clearer' not 'more clear' Big Grin

Kerim

Hug

Nope, your use of the written language definitely is getting better!

Glad that some things about this forum are rubbing off on you. Wink

Thumbsup
19-08-2016, 11:26 PM
(19-08-2016 02:47 PM)KerimF Wrote:  To you personally and by using your own words, what does the word ‘god’ refer to?

It is a label that grown-ups attach to their imaginary friend.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
20-08-2016, 10:27 PM
(19-08-2016 02:47 PM)KerimF Wrote:  During a journey, I met some locals of a friendly town who were debating about the existence of ‘tabolano’; some said ‘tabolano’ exists while others insist that ‘tabolano’ doesn’t exist.

By curiosity, I asked some young men: “Would you please help me know what the word ‘tabolano’ refers to”.
From both sides, they all look at me and said: “What a silly question!”. Then they went on enjoying their debate about ‘tabolano’.

So I am sorry in advance for the following silly question that I should address to the members here, not as a group of people but as individuals:

To you personally and by using your own words, what does the word ‘god’ refer to?

Kerim

I've read that it is the word in the old Anglo Saxon language for good. For my part, it refers to an imaginary magic being.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
20-08-2016, 11:11 PM
(19-08-2016 02:47 PM)KerimF Wrote:  During a journey, I met some locals of a friendly town who were debating about the existence of ‘tabolano’; some said ‘tabolano’ exists while others insist that ‘tabolano’ doesn’t exist.

By curiosity, I asked some young men: “Would you please help me know what the word ‘tabolano’ refers to”.
From both sides, they all look at me and said: “What a silly question!”. Then they went on enjoying their debate about ‘tabolano’.

So I am sorry in advance for the following silly question that I should address to the members here, not as a group of people but as individuals:

To you personally and by using your own words, what does the word ‘god’ refer to?

Kerim

That's deep, man. So deep.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
20-08-2016, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2016 11:20 PM by Gloucester.)
I have not read all the replies so I might repear someone.

"God" is merely a word from the Germanic language family that refers to a supernatural entity who supposedly created all.

This possibly comes from a time when everything natural, especially storms etc, seemed to have no discernable origin.

Thus it is a word of ignorance that still labels a concept that may fill some form of "need" in the psychology of some humans, despite the efforts of all those who have found answers to those "mysteries" over the millenia.

Are you an atheist, Kerim?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
21-08-2016, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2016 12:51 AM by Deltabravo.)
Kerim,

In analytical philosophy there are terms used such as "meaningful" and "empty" which are used to help us look at how we use words. For instance you can talk about a "green rabbit" This term is meaningful because we can all imagine and understand the concept of a green rabbit but it is an empty concept because there are no green rabbits. If you said "invisible green rabbit" that would be both meaningless and empty because you can't have something which is both green and invisible.

God can be looked at in the same way. If a king decides to call himself a God then we can say this is meaningful and "full" because we can understand the concept of a man wanting to be called a God for whatever reason and such men have existed. If one says a God is a real corporeal being with a living body but that he lives in outer space or up a mountain we could also understand the concept but it would be empty because no such thing exists, as far as we know. It might become full if we could find such a being.

But when you talk about a God which needs physical powers to do physical acts but then you say he is invisible and in a world we cannot possibly know, then you are talking about a concept which is empty because no one will ever come across this type of god and meaningless because you set the concept up in a way that it cannot make sense to us as humans. So God is a green rabbit these days. He used to be a star sign or the Sun which we understood but as we gained understanding of these objects the concept of a God changed to corporeal but remote beings, men and then invisible empty nothing's which inhabit no place.

Just because you can formulate words to talk about impossible concepts doesn't mean they exist somewhere.
21-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Me...

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-08-2016, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2016 11:57 AM by Gloucester.)
(20-08-2016 10:27 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I've read that it is the word in the old Anglo Saxon language for good. . . .
The Anglo-Saxon for "good" is "god" but with a macron (like a minus sign) above the "o" that makes it rhyme with "goad".

"God" in A-S is "God" which, unsurprisingly, rhymes with "God"!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
22-08-2016, 11:01 AM
A dyslexic friend of mine owned a god. Vicious bastard too. Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.