What does the word ‘god’ refer to?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
22-08-2016, 01:10 PM
RE: What does the word ‘god’ refer to?
(22-08-2016 11:01 AM)SYZ Wrote:  A dyslexic friend of mine owned a god. Vicious bastard too. Tongue

"In Dog we Trust"

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2016, 01:30 PM
(19-08-2016 02:47 PM)KerimF Wrote:  To you personally and by using your own words, what does the word ‘god’ refer to?
It refers to a 3 letter word that exists only in language and imagination.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
13-09-2016, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2016 06:17 AM by KerimF.)
(19-08-2016 04:31 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 03:41 PM)KerimF Wrote:  Thank you. I understand from you that god doesn't exist for you because the word god doesn't have a consistent or even coherent definition.

But, on the other hand, this tells me that you, unlike I, like depending on other's definitions to decide if something does exist or not.

Kerim

1. You're using the word "god" as a singular proper noun, as if it has already been adequately defined, which it has not.

2. unfogged didn't just make that assertion that "god" doesn't exist. You're putting words in unfogged's mouth. The words "for you" which follow do not add any meaning to the sentence, either. The reality of these claims are independent of any person's whims. Phrases such as "it's true for me" are either A. figurative or B. false

3. Self described atheists tend to reject specific claims, on the basis of them being untestable, logically paradoxical, and/or incompatible with empirical evidence.

4. When a person is making a claim, the person judging that particular claim does need the claimant to provide their own definition, yes.

In brief, if someone thinks that a person born blind should also see/perceive the light and its colours as he does with his good eyes, then being subjective is nonsense.

To me in the least, only a god that has rules to be followed by men cannot exist. The real Creator has no need to command his creatures.
The real Creator has already embedded his instructions/rules in what we usually call instincts (written on DNAs for example).

Therefore, on these days, a ruling god is surely a man-made one.

The image of my Creator has to be the source of all logical answers that I need to know about my existence, life (and death) and the world as it is, in reality (not as presented in great speeches, TV or internet lately).

But since what I need to know (see the example of the blind above) may not interest other humans, I don't see any need for many people in the world to know my Creator.
After all, anyone who feels a real need to know beyond what his instincts tell him has also the ability to discover his Creator by himself as I did.
The good news is that almost all creatures on earth are made very happy/satisfied following their instincts only; so they don't need anything else to discover about their existence and life.

Kerim

Facts that don't need evidences:
Sheep for milk live in peace because it is the will of their rich owners.
Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
Whoever has ears will hear.
13-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Kerim - you claim Your creator is the source of all logical answers.

If you discovered a library of infinite size, could you determine if it was actually infinite and could you determine if any of the information from the library was correct or not ?

You have no way of knowing if your creator is the source of all logical answers and you have no way of knowing if any answers you receive are correct or not.

If you really have a connection to all logical answers, then every test you take, you should be able to answer every question correctly.

You should be able to answer questions when you can't even understand the question.

Example describe what a 9th dimension torg looks like while you are in a state of holga.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
13-09-2016, 12:56 PM
ZThe word God has no set definition. As such if conversing at length with a theistic person I will usually identify as an igtheist. Tell me what you mean by God and I'll tell you if I buy it. Is your God that rock? Great we can both agree that rock exists. Is your God an omnipotent man who lives on a cloud? Nope, doesn't exist.

However the word God also has cultural history which does add some baggage on to it. Most commonly it confers a sense of agency and intent. Usually it comes with the idea of dominion or control over the universe. While these things are not universal to all God definitions these are implications which are fairly common with the God concept. And I don't buy into that concept. I see no reason to believe that such a thing exists.

Am I depending on others definitions? Kind of. Let's take another example. Let's say a bunch of eople are talking about tables. We don't know if it's a metal lab table, a wooden kitchen table, or a bar, but we all have the same basic idea. Perhaps I say I don't want a table in my house because I think it's not prorate for my home. Then another person comes along and points to a cat and asks me if I am against tables. He uses the word to refer to cats.

There is a cultural context that surrounds the word God just like there is around any word. If you don't share the cultural understanding of what the word means, fine. We are not talking about the same thing.

Address the ideas, not the semantics.
13-09-2016, 05:51 PM
(13-09-2016 10:22 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Kerim - you claim Your creator is the source of all logical answers.

If you discovered a library of infinite size, could you determine if it was actually infinite and could you determine if any of the information from the library was correct or not ?

You have no way of knowing if your creator is the source of all logical answers and you have no way of knowing if any answers you receive are correct or not.

If you really have a connection to all logical answers, then every test you take, you should be able to answer every question correctly.

You should be able to answer questions when you can't even understand the question.

Example describe what a 9th dimension torg looks like while you are in a state of holga.

Thank you for being serious in your reply... I mean it (I was told that the inverse of what a sentence says... could also be heard Wink )

I don't need an infinite number of answers; just the ones related to the important questions I was interested in.

I know if an answer is correct or not by applying the same scientific processes I follow when I design and build my electronic controllers. The only difference is that the unit under test is my being Wink

Therefore, the logical answers, I discovered, are related to my being. They may, or may not, be useful to other humans.

The role of my Creator is just to confirm what I have discovered. This is much like the teacher's book on which a student could find the final answer only of each exercise.

Kerim

Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
13-09-2016, 05:55 PM
(13-09-2016 05:51 PM)KerimF Wrote:  The role of my Creator is just to confirm what I have discovered. This is much like the teacher's book on which a student could find the final answer only of each exercise.

Well that's a novel analogy. Does this smack of Spinozism? Not sure.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-09-2016, 06:11 PM
(13-09-2016 12:56 PM)natachan Wrote:  ZThe word God has no set definition. As such if conversing at length with a theistic person I will usually identify as an igtheist. Tell me what you mean by God and I'll tell you if I buy it. Is your God that rock? Great we can both agree that rock exists. Is your God an omnipotent man who lives on a cloud? Nope, doesn't exist.

However the word God also has cultural history which does add some baggage on to it. Most commonly it confers a sense of agency and intent. Usually it comes with the idea of dominion or control over the universe. While these things are not universal to all God definitions these are implications which are fairly common with the God concept. And I don't buy into that concept. I see no reason to believe that such a thing exists.

Am I depending on others definitions? Kind of. Let's take another example. Let's say a bunch of eople are talking about tables. We don't know if it's a metal lab table, a wooden kitchen table, or a bar, but we all have the same basic idea. Perhaps I say I don't want a table in my house because I think it's not prorate for my home. Then another person comes along and points to a cat and asks me if I am against tables. He uses the word to refer to cats.

There is a cultural context that surrounds the word God just like there is around any word. If you don't share the cultural understanding of what the word means, fine. We are not talking about the same thing.

Address the ideas, not the semantics.

My human logic says... On these days, a ruling god has no reason to exist and therefore if such a god does exist for some people, it is surely a man-made one.

The reason is simple. The real Creator has already implemented his rules in what we may call DNAs and instincts, in the form of embedded instructions. So it doesn't matter if a creature knows he has a Creator or not because in both cases it has no choice but following the Creator rules via the guidance of its instincts.

So if it is said that the Creator has contacted the human race, it won't be about more rules but about... let us stop here, it is 3:12 AM here Wink

Kerim

15-09-2016, 09:45 PM
(19-08-2016 02:47 PM)KerimF Wrote:  During a journey, I met some locals of a friendly town who were debating about the existence of ‘tabolano’; some said ‘tabolano’ exists while others insist that ‘tabolano’ doesn’t exist.

By curiosity, I asked some young men: “Would you please help me know what the word ‘tabolano’ refers to”.
From both sides, they all look at me and said: “What a silly question!”. Then they went on enjoying their debate about ‘tabolano’.

So I am sorry in advance for the following silly question that I should address to the members here, not as a group of people but as individuals:

To you personally and by using your own words, what does the word ‘god’ refer to?

Kerim
A being which no greater can be imagined.
16-09-2016, 07:41 AM
(15-09-2016 09:45 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 02:47 PM)KerimF Wrote:  During a journey, I met some locals of a friendly town who were debating about the existence of ‘tabolano’; some said ‘tabolano’ exists while others insist that ‘tabolano’ doesn’t exist.

By curiosity, I asked some young men: “Would you please help me know what the word ‘tabolano’ refers to”.
From both sides, they all look at me and said: “What a silly question!”. Then they went on enjoying their debate about ‘tabolano’.

So I am sorry in advance for the following silly question that I should address to the members here, not as a group of people but as individuals:

To you personally and by using your own words, what does the word ‘god’ refer to?

Kerim
A being which no greater can be imagined.

A being which is imagined.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post