What does this so called "tolerant" people think?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2016, 02:48 AM
What does this so called "tolerant" people think?
The basic reason why I chose freethinking is seeing the horrible division created by religions in Human mind. I come from India which has a numerous number of religions. While I am proud about the fact that the tolerance level of my country is high when compared to many other countries, there are some disturbing facts that haunt me.

A lot of people I know claim to be highly tolerant, but when it comes to them or their family, they turn out to be extremely orthodox. for eg. their kids marriage, they cant even think of getting them married off to any other religion, forget religion, even community or fucking sub communities.

A lot believe religious tolerance is complete when they have friends belonging to a different religion, or when without any apprehension are ready to mingle with them, mind you love shouldn't happen.

So how do we think we can grow any further without realizing we all are one. I mean why are people so stupid to divide each others based on some freaking myths, which they term "traditions' & "cultures".

I strongly believe a positive change or would rather rephrase as a "revolution" should happen among the youth now to change this ugly religious perception.

Would love to hear your opinions and feelings on what I have expressed! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes freethinker77's post
21-04-2016, 04:34 AM
RE: What does this so called "tolerant" people think?
(21-04-2016 02:48 AM)freethinker77 Wrote:  The basic reason why I chose freethinking is seeing the horrible division created by religions in Human mind. I come from India which has a numerous number of religions. While I am proud about the fact that the tolerance level of my country is high when compared to many other countries, there are some disturbing facts that haunt me.

A lot of people I know claim to be highly tolerant, but when it comes to them or their family, they turn out to be extremely orthodox. for eg. their kids marriage, they cant even think of getting them married off to any other religion, forget religion, even community or fucking sub communities.

A lot believe religious tolerance is complete when they have friends belonging to a different religion, or when without any apprehension are ready to mingle with them, mind you love shouldn't happen.

So how do we think we can grow any further without realizing we all are one. I mean why are people so stupid to divide each others based on some freaking myths, which they term "traditions' & "cultures".

I strongly believe a positive change or would rather rephrase as a "revolution" should happen among the youth now to change this ugly religious perception.

Do this.

Go out onto the street. Somewhere safe to do so. Rotate 360 degrees.

You are the smartest person within that sphere.

What was it Sting said? Oh yeah I remember.

It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile
Be yourself no matter what they say

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
21-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Freethinking and a general curiosity about the universe is an excellent way to live. As Hitch once said... "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way..."

I hate to have to say this, but living in such a religious country, you might want to be cautious about who you talk to about it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2016, 12:20 AM
(21-04-2016 02:48 AM)freethinker77 Wrote:  So how do we think we can grow any further without realizing we all are one.

What do you mean by grow? Also we aren't one - people have different customs, traditions, habits, values. They live in different even if now kinda homogenized cultures.

(21-04-2016 02:48 AM)freethinker77 Wrote:  I mean why are people so stupid to divide each others based on some freaking myths, which they term "traditions' & "cultures".

People are doing something that you disagree with so they're stupid? That's the spirit of tolerance.

(21-04-2016 02:48 AM)freethinker77 Wrote:  I strongly believe a positive change or would rather rephrase as a "revolution" should happen among the youth now to change this ugly religious perception.

Neither different cultures nor tradition are "ugly religious perceptions".

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
26-04-2016, 09:43 PM
The revolution must start with one person. If Gandhi didn't say that, well, he lived his truth instead.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus (341-270B.C.E.)
[+] 1 user Likes larry-new's post
26-04-2016, 09:51 PM
(21-04-2016 02:48 AM)freethinker77 Wrote:  The basic reason why I chose freethinking is seeing the horrible division created by religions in Human mind. I come from India which has a numerous number of religions. While I am proud about the fact that the tolerance level of my country is high when compared to many other countries, there are some disturbing facts that haunt me.

Does the "Indian tolerance" extend to the caste system ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-04-2016, 10:36 PM
I'm not so sure India is one of the more tolerant nations concerning religion, socially. Religious violence resulting in scores of deaths happens there occasionally, resulting in individual deaths seemingly too often. I'm not casting stones -- America still has a long ways to go itself -- and it's possible that my view is colored by a one-sided media presentation.

(26-04-2016 09:43 PM)larry-new Wrote:  The revolution must start with one person. If Gandhi didn't say that, well, he lived his truth instead.

He said something the same in spirit: "Be the change you wish to see."