What does you name "mean"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2013, 07:37 AM
RE: What does you name "mean"?
(02-10-2013 06:50 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I once had a class with your brother.... Or a random other guy named Race.

Did this class happen to take place in western Pennsylvania? Blink

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2013, 07:38 AM
What the hell is going on here? I'd say I've met tens of thousands of people in my lifetime. I have NEVER heard of anyone name 'Race', or any variation of it (excluding perhaps Speed Racer). Now three of you know a 'Race'?

Mind=Blown

02-10-2013, 07:50 AM
(02-10-2013 07:38 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  What the hell is going on here? I'd say I've met tens of thousands of people in my lifetime. I have NEVER heard of anyone name 'Race', or any variation of it (excluding perhaps Speed Racer). Now three of you know a 'Race'?

Mind=Blown

I would gladly turn back the years and let you deal with the Rayce that was in my life. Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
02-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Re: RE: What does you name "mean"?
(02-10-2013 07:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 06:50 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I once had a class with your brother.... Or a random other guy named Race.

Did this class happen to take place in western Pennsylvania? Blink

Prognosis... Negative. Twas in Illinois.

This name is spreading.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-10-2013, 10:53 AM
(02-10-2013 07:00 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Sierra. It means "mountain range" in Spanish, referring specifically to a mountain range with jagged peaks. Dodgy

It also means "saw" Wink

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
02-10-2013, 12:27 PM
(01-10-2013 10:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Solicitor of prostitution or toilet or anonymous. John is such a great name. Dodgy

Ivan would be the Slavic equivalent of John or the relative of the Latin name Johannes, corresponding to the English John.

This Slavic version of the name originates from New Testament Greek, which is in turn derived from Hebrew יוֹחָנָן (Yôḥānān, meaning “‘Yahweh is gracious’”). The name is ultimately derived from the Biblical Hebrew name יוחנן (pronounced [joχanan]), short for יהוחנן (pronounced [jəhoχanan]), meaning "Yahweh is merciful".

Bit of a difference between being "gracious" and being "merciful"... think; serial killer with self control. Angel It's anyone's guess who wins with that god.

As a Prophet, the name of John seems fairly appropriate... or at least safer. A proclaimer only proclaims.... nothing to do with proaction. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
02-10-2013, 01:07 PM
DANIEL
USAGE: English, Hebrew, French, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Polish, Czech, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovene, Croatian, Macedonian, Armenian, Georgian, Biblical, Biblical Greek
OTHER SCRIPTS: דָּנִיֵּאל (Hebrew), Даниел (Macedonian), Դանիէլ (Armenian), დანიელ (Georgian), Δανιηλ (Ancient Greek)
PRONOUNCED: DAN-yul (English), dah-nee-EL (Jewish), dan-YEL (French), DAH-nee-el (German), DAHN-yel (Polish) [key]
Meaning & History
From the Hebrew name דָּנִיֵּאל (Daniyyel) meaning "God is my judge". Daniel was a Hebrew prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament. He lived during the Jewish captivity in Babylon, where he served in the court of the king, rising to prominence by interpreting the king's dreams. The book also presents Daniel's four visions of the end of the world.

Due to the popularity of the biblical character, the name came into use in England during the Middle Ages. Though it became rare by the 15th century, it was revived after the Protestant Reformation. Famous bearers of this name include English author Daniel Defoe (1660-1731), Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli (1700-1782), and American frontiersman Daniel Boone (1734-1820).
Related Names

VARIANTS: Danilo (Spanish), Danilo (Portuguese), Danijel, Danilo (Slovene), Danijel, Danilo (Croatian), Taniel (Armenian)
DIMINUTIVES: Dan, Dannie, Danny (English), Dan (Czech), Dani (Spanish), Dan, Dănuț (Romanian), Danko (Croatian)
FEMININE FORMS: Danette, Daniela, Daniella, Danielle, Danita (English), Danièle, Danielle (French), Daniela (German), Daniela (Polish), Daniela (Czech), Daniela (Spanish), Daniela (Portuguese), Daniela (Romanian), Daniela, Danijela (Slovene), Danijela (Croatian)
OTHER LANGUAGES: Danel (Basque), Daniyyel (Biblical Hebrew), Danihel (Biblical Latin), Deniel (Breton), Danail (Bulgarian), Daniël, Daan (Dutch), Taneli, Tatu (Finnish), Dániel, Dani (Hungarian), Daniele, Danilo (Italian), Danielius (Lithuanian), Daniil (Russian), Danijel, Danilo, Danko (Serbian), Deiniol (Welsh)

Source Link
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2013, 01:56 PM
So I searched my name in that site and everything makes sense now

Contribute Add to List
IGNATIUS
USAGE: Late Roman
PRONOUNCED: ig-NAY-shəs (English) [key]
Meaning & History
From the Roman family name Egnatius, meaning unknown, of Etruscan origin. The spelling was later altered to resemble Latin ignis "fire". This was the name of several saints, including the third bishop of Antioch who was thrown to wild beasts by emperor Trajan, and by Saint Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556), founder of the Jesuits, whose real birth name was in fact Íñigo.

It wasn't that other sites didn't know the meaning of my name, is that my name actually means unknown... I wonder if that was the word used for people whose name wasn't know, as anonymous today. That would mean I'm Anonymous, creator of uncountable pieces of art and sayings and a social movement by myself... BOW TO ME!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAAHA

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
02-10-2013, 03:26 PM
(02-10-2013 01:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  This was the name of several saints, including the third bishop of Antioch who was thrown to wild beasts by emperor Trajan...

Trajan - he was always doing stuff like that - guy hated the fuck out of christees.

Crazy bastard - ha - good times. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
(30-09-2013 10:47 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  The name Laura is derived from the bay laurel plant, which in the Greco-Roman era was used as a symbol of victory, honor or fame. (In the form of a woven crown)

Also, it was weird seeing all the comments from dozens of Laura's talking about Laura (minus the one guy named Osman who said Laura is a pretty name ).

We have the same first name! Yes the laurel plant was woven and placed on the winners of the ancient Olympic games. My mother loved an old timey song by Frank Sinatra called "Laura" and named me after that song.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”