What does you name "mean"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2013, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 04:47 PM by smoothcriminal.)
RE: What does you name "mean"?
Jordan

Hebrew

Biblical Meaning:
The name Jordan is a Biblical baby name. In Biblical the meaning of the name Jordan is: The river of judgment.

Hebrew Meaning:
The name Jordan is a Hebrew baby name. In Hebrew the meaning of the name Jordan is: To flow down. Flowing down.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Quote:Dominique is the French feminine and masculine form of Dominic, hence it is unisex. It is of French and Latin origin, and its meaning is "of the lord".

See? The lord sent me here to watch over you hopeless heathens.

The Dark Lord of Mordor that is. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
03-11-2013, 06:21 PM
John

USAGE: English, Biblical
PRONOUNCED: JAHN (English) [key]

Meaning & History:

English form of Iohannes, the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered saints. The first is John the Baptist, a Jewish ascetic who was considered the forerunner of Jesus Christ. The second is the apostle John, who is also traditionally regarded as the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation.

This name was initially more common among Eastern Christians in the Byzantine Empire, but it flourished in Western Europe after the First Crusade. In England it became extremely popular: during the later Middle Ages it was given to approximately a fifth of all English boys.

Funny story: To this day, my favorite counter-argument used against me by a christian was a hilariously vapid attack on my name. I'll quote him precisely:

"@ John [REDACTED] .. why dont u change ur name from John to well.. 'Mr. No Name' cas if u dont believe in Jesus why hav his disciple name still?"

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
03-11-2013, 06:27 PM
(03-11-2013 06:21 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  John

Meaning & History:

English form of Iohannes, the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered saints. The first is John the Baptist, a Jewish ascetic who was considered the forerunner of Jesus Christ. The second is the apostle John, who is also traditionally regarded as the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation.

This name was initially more common among Eastern Christians in the Byzantine Empire, but it flourished in Western Europe after the First Crusade. In England it became extremely popular: during the later Middle Ages it was given to approximately a fifth of all English boys.

Funny story: To this day, my favorite counter-argument used against me by a christian was a hilariously vapid attack on my name. I'll quote him precisely:

"@ John [REDACTED] .. why dont u change ur name from John to well.. 'Mr. No Name' cas if u dont believe in Jesus why hav his disciple name still?"

You dexter looking motherfucker!!!!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
03-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Adrian

Meaning and History: Form of Hadrianus (see HADRIAN). Several saints and six popes have borne this name, including the only English pope, Adrian IV, and the only Dutch pope, Adrian VI. As an English name, it has been in use since the Middle Ages, though it was not popular until modern times.
03-11-2013, 10:18 PM
(03-11-2013 06:27 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 06:21 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  John

Meaning & History:

You dexter looking motherfucker!!!!

You miss me, kitten? Tongue

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2013, 10:22 PM
(03-11-2013 10:18 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 06:27 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  You dexter looking motherfucker!!!!

You miss me, kitten? Tongue

Fuck yeah, damn. Today was a good day, you and Vosur returned, I am kicking Mafia ass... Nothing can go wrong today...

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
03-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Darwins Bulldog, bitches !!

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
03-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Anuroop (uh-noo-roop) (easier than it looks, trust me)
Hindi/Sanskrit
Means "worthy of", "suitable".

"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian."
- J. B. S. Haldane on what evidence would be required to falsify evolution
05-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Stone.

Quote:Peter is a common masculine given name. It is derived, via Latin "petra", from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "stone" or "rock".[1]

According to the New Testament, Jesus gave Saint Peter (whose given name was Simon) the name Kephas or Cephas meaning "stone" in Aramaic.[2] Saint Peter, according to ancient tradition, became the first bishop of Rome. Roman Catholics consider him to have been the first Pope and all subsequent popes to have been his successors, and therefore sometimes refer to the Pope or the Papacy itself as Peter.

Bow down to me, bitches!

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson