What even is religious faith?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2016, 07:52 PM
What even is religious faith?
Maybe hoping that something can happen when there's no proof? That's just wishful thinking though. O.o

Confidence? In what? There's no clear evidence!

With faith, you can't be certain. It's wishful thinking. When they have faith in God, they're hoping he's there and have convinced themselves that he's doing everything. Only the good things, though! Got a 100 on a test? Goddidit! Someone was born? Goddidit! Found my keys? Goddidit! C'mon! Then, when something bad happens: God works in mysterious ways. It's apart of God's plan. He can turn it around to something good. You can learn something from it.

What are people doing!?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2016, 07:58 PM
RE: What even is religious faith?
"It's faith, everyone has it, that's why it's called faith." - Said to me by this guy on a train training to become a Wiccan cleric/priest/whatever it would be called.

It's a term used in nonsense manner more than not in religious contexts. Often used in a begging the question format like that, well it's faith and faith is faith, therefore it's faith.

It's also a solid multi-purpose word so people arguing for religion can use faith in ways of knowing in your "heart" gods truth, wishful thought, or the equivalency of something like trust.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Synonyms of faith in English:
noun

1 he completely justified his boss's faith in him

trust, belief, confidence, conviction, credence, reliance, dependence;
optimism, hopefulness, hope, expectation

[ANTONYMS] mistrust

2 she gave her life for her faith

religion, church, sect, denomination, persuasion, religious persuasion, religious belief, belief, code of belief, ideology, creed, teaching, dogma, doctrine

Oxford English dictionary.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Faith is a chamelion word. It's a word than can be infused with any level of supernaturalism, while still retaining roughly the same definition.

Hebrews 11:1 has one of my least favorite definitions:
Quote:Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
So there you go, straight from the horse's mouth, religious faith is synonymous with confirmation bias. #IAmAProudApistevist

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
21-04-2016, 08:21 PM
(21-04-2016 07:52 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Maybe hoping that something can happen when there's no proof? That's just wishful thinking though. O.o

With faith, you can't be certain. It's wishful thinking. When they have faith in God, they're hoping he's there and have convinced themselves that he's doing everything. Only the good things, though! Got a 100 on a test? Goddidit! Someone was born? Goddidit! Found my keys? Goddidit! C'mon! Then, when something bad happens: God works in mysterious ways. It's apart of God's plan. He can turn it around to something good. You can learn something from it.

What are people doing!?

ugh that used to be me. before I started dating my boyfriend (and im ashamed of this now but its how I was taught) he would tell me the stories of his mother beating him when I asked why he doesn't believe. or tell me the war stories from him being in the military. how he would consider suicide when his wife divorced him and how he slept through rockets being launched at his base.
through all of this I said "maybe god is preparing you to help someone else" looking back now im sick of myself for saying that.
21-04-2016, 08:44 PM
(21-04-2016 08:21 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(21-04-2016 07:52 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Maybe hoping that something can happen when there's no proof? That's just wishful thinking though. O.o

What are people doing!?

ugh that used to be me. before I started dating my boyfriend (and im ashamed of this now but its how I was taught) he would tell me the stories of his mother beating him when I asked why he doesn't believe. or tell me the war stories from him being in the military. how he would consider suicide when his wife divorced him and how he slept through rockets being launched at his base.
through all of this I said "maybe god is preparing you to help someone else" looking back now im sick of myself for saying that.

I was similar. >.<
21-04-2016, 08:48 PM
I think religious faith is just feeling like you are loved by something benevolent and in the end you're just loving yourself since it's all in your head. Love is just a chemical and if you can create it just by thinking about Jesus or praying it can be like a drug or a high. Yes it feels nice but doesn't mean it's real.

It's like when we are kids and that feeling of excitement the night before Xmas and maybe staying up in bed trying to listen for Santa, it wasn't real but felt awesome and we may even feel it sometimes as adults even though we know it's fake.

If a lot of other people agree that the God that loves you also loves them and will protect you and make sure you spend eternity in a paradise after you die now you have more reason to hold on to it and will do anything not to let it go.

For Christians their ultimate fantasy is Jesus saving them from their inevitable death by showing up and beaming them to Heaven rapture style. It's insane to think intelligent people actually believe this but it has nothing to do with intellect at this point, it's all emotion and feelings of love and joy are more important to them than facts and knowledge.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
21-04-2016, 09:00 PM
I know intellectually what religious faith is supposed to be, but I've never felt it. I just can't suspend disbelief to that extent.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
21-04-2016, 09:10 PM
its the warm fuzzy feeling you get in your chest when your brain has been fully loaded with bullshit.
21-04-2016, 09:14 PM
(21-04-2016 09:10 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  its the warm fuzzy feeling you get in your chest when your brain has been fully loaded with bullshit.

oh.. i mistook that as my anxiety. welp.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post