What evidence do we have that Aristotle existed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2013, 11:50 AM
What evidence do we have that Aristotle existed?
I was just presented with this argument. All i can find as far as evidence goes is writtings, eye whitness accouts etc. What say you on this matter?

Your citizen Atheist
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2013, 11:55 AM
RE: What evidence do we have that Aristotle existed?
(02-09-2013 11:50 AM)sequoyah Wrote:  I was just presented with this argument. All i can find as far as evidence goes is writtings, eye whitness accouts etc. What say you on this matter?

It is utterly Irrelevant if he is a real person or if he is just an amalgamation of several philosophers since it was his ideas not his being that is important. I take it this is the response to Jesus may not have existed.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
02-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Actually no but that did arise. It actually came about when I questioned the validity of eyewhitness accounts of UFOs and whether documented eyewhitness accounts constitues as sound evidence. I said no naturally.

Your citizen Atheist
02-09-2013, 12:10 PM
(02-09-2013 12:04 PM)sequoyah Wrote:  Actually no but that did arise. It actually came about when I questioned the validity of eyewitness accounts of UFOs and whether documented eyewitness accounts constitutes as sound evidence. I said no naturally.

Well, you're right; eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable - memories are extremely malleable. The more people whose testimonies agree, and the more corroborating evidence, the more weight one may ascribe...

En eyewitness can only report what they, subjectively, experienced, which may or may not have any relation to what actually happened - let alone the possibility for (mis)interpretation.

There are so many references to the life and works of a man named Aristotle who lived in a very specific time and place that the logical conclusion is that he did indeed exist.

This is a tricky area, of course, since it's not as though one can quantify 'trustworthiness'. Some things pass the threshold. Some do not.

... this is my signature!
02-09-2013, 12:12 PM
(02-09-2013 12:04 PM)sequoyah Wrote:  Actually no but that did arise. It actually came about when I questioned the validity of eyewhitness accounts of UFOs and whether documented eyewhitness accounts constitues as sound evidence. I said no naturally.

Eyewitness accounts are the lowest form of evidence in science.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-09-2013, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 09:31 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Irrelevant.
His ideas stand on their own.
The Greeks, in general, did not go around inventing people, and claim they existed, if in fact they didn't. They had no problem saying "truths can be transmitted by myth". They had no motivation to invent him. There were not dozens of philosophers running around, all claiming to be top dog, which could be confused with each other, (unlike Jebus). No one claims that Aristotle was uniquely chosen by a deity to perform a sacrificial function, or that anything important rests on whether or not he actually existed. Therefore, it's a twist on the "fallacy of the false analogy". The Greeks did not admit that they employed "pious fraud" if the outcome required it. The Christian Fathers did admit that they lied, if they thought they needed to. The Greeks were not running around trying to convert people to the cults of their philosophers, claiming they performed miracles, or rose from the dead. The question is an attempt to make a comparison which is invalid. Aristotle actually left writings, that he himself produced.
He actually interacted with real historical people who themselves left a record (writings) of the interactions, with him. (Alexander the Great). Unlike Jebus the Nazorite.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

My claim that someone knew an ordinary guy named Bob doesn't require much verification. Until Bob becomes relevant for one reason or another, his existence can be a given.

My claim that someone knew a demigod named Bob requires extraordinary and in depth probing.
02-09-2013, 01:34 PM
(02-09-2013 12:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Well, you're right; eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable - memories are extremely malleable. The more people whose testimonies agree, and the more corroborating evidence, the more weight one may ascribe...
Time is also important.
If a person, a witness writes down their testimony within minutes of the event, it has more weight than if they write it down several decades later.
02-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Enough, personally. Professionally, I don't even exist. I allowed my self to know one thing - that I love my Gwynnies - and the I part seems to have become secondary to the Gwynnies part. Huh

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-09-2013, 03:04 PM
(02-09-2013 02:24 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Enough, personally. Professionally, I don't even exist. I allowed my self to know one thing - that I love my Gwynnies - and the I part seems to have become secondary to the Gwynnies part. Huh

hahahahahaha ... You Gwynnie's bitch now. Laughat ... hahahahahaha

"What's that dear? Yes Sue I'll take the trash out now." Weeping

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post