What evidence do we have that Aristotle existed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2013, 05:48 PM
RE: What evidence do we have that Aristotle existed?
(02-09-2013 03:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 02:24 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Enough, personally. Professionally, I don't even exist. I allowed my self to know one thing - that I love my Gwynnies - and the I part seems to have become secondary to the Gwynnies part. Huh

hahahahahaha ... You Gwynnie's bitch now. Laughat ... hahahahahaha

"What's that dear? Yes Sue I'll take the trash out now." Weeping

I don't take out the trash, I float it out, hearts in my eyes, farting rainbows. Blush

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:and whether documented eyewhitness accounts constitues as sound evidence.

Ever served on jury duty and watched a defense lawyer cross-examine an eye-witness? It isn't pretty. Most people are about as observant as a loaf of bread.
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Re: What evidence do we have that Aristotle existed?
...I think he was confused and meant Socrates. The only existing documents of Socrates existence are written by Plato and Xenophon and from plays.

Some believe he may be fictional.. It doesn't matter, if that's true, it's just more genius out of Plato for their differences in discourse in various writings.

Aristotle though published numerous texts on rhetoric and other topics. There's contemporary Sophists writings from the time who shared opposite views of Aristotle, and other cultural documents mentioning him as afterall, he was Alexander the greats mentor.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
02-09-2013, 09:14 PM
I just watched a video where hitchens described the existence of socrates as being unquestionable. Or along those lines anyways. But thank you all for the feedback. I have learned a great deal since joining this forum.

Your citizen Atheist
03-09-2013, 08:14 AM
You'll find plenty of "evidence" in these frequently cited works:
  • Ackrill, J., Categories and De Interpretatione, Translated with notes, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1963.
  • Annas, J., Metaphysics Books M and N, Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988.
  • Balme, D., De Partibus Animalium I and De Generatione Animalium I, (with passages from Book II. 1–3), Translated with an introduction and notes, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1992.
  • Barnes, J., ed. The Complete Works of Aristotle, Volumes I and II, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1984.
  • Barnes, J., Posterior Analytics, Second Edition, Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1994.
  • Bostock, D., Metaphysics Books Z and H, Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1994.
  • Charlton, W., Physics Books I and II, Translated with introduction, commentary, Note on Recent Work, and revised Bibliography, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1984.
  • Furley, D. J., ‘What Kind of Cause is Aristotle's Final Cause?,’ in M. Frede and G. Stricker (eds.), Rationality in Greek Thought, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999, pp. 59–79
  • Gill, M. L., ‘Aristotle's Metaphysics Reconsidered,’ Journal of the History of Philosophy, 43 (2005): 223–251
  • Graham, D., Physics, Book VIII, Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford Univesity Press, 1999.
  • Hussey, E., Physics Books III and IV, Translated with an introduction and notes, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1983.
  • Irwin, T. and Fine., G., Aristotle: Selections, Translated with Introduction, Notes, and Glossary, Indianapolis: Hackett, 1995.
  • Keyt, D., Politics, Books V and VI Animals, Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999.
  • Kirwan, C., Metaphysics: Books gamma, delta, and epsilon, Second Edition, Translated with notes, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1993.
  • Kraut, R., Politics Books VII and VIII, Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998.
  • Lennox., J, On the Parts of Animals, Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002.
  • Madigan, A., Aristotle: Metaphysics Books B and K 1–2, Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.
  • Makin, S., Metaphysics Theta, Translated with an introduction and commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006.
  • Pakaluk, M., Nicomachean Ethics, Books VIII and IX, Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999.
  • Robinson, R., Politics: Books III and IV, Translated with a commentary by Richard Robinson; with a supplementary essay by David Keyt, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996.
  • Saunders, T., Politics: Books I and II, Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996.
  • Shields, Christopher, De Anima, Translated with an introduction and commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008.
  • Smith, R., Topics Books I and VIII, With excerpts from related texts, , Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997.
  • Taylor, C., Nicomachean Ethics, Books II-IV, Translated with an introduction and commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006.
  • Williams, C., De Generatione et Corruptione, Translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1983.
  • Woods, M., Eudemian Ethics Books I, II, and VIII, Second Edition, Edited, and translated with a commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1992.
— And in these journals:
  • Ancient Philosophy
  • Archiv für Geschichte der Philosophie
  • Australasian Journal of Philosophy
  • American Philosophical Quarterly
  • Proceedings of the Boston Area Colloquium in Ancient Philosophy
  • Canadian Journal of Philosophy
  • History and Philosophy of Logic
  • History of Philosophy Quarterly
  • Journal of the History of Philosophy
  • Journal of Hellenic Studies
  • Journal of Philosophy
  • Journal of Philosophical Logic
  • Journal of Symbolic Logic
  • Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic
  • The New Scholasticism
  • Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy
  • Aristotelian Society Proceedings
  • Aristotelian Society Proceedings, Supplementary Volume
  • Philosophical Quarterly
  • Philosophical Review
  • Pacific Philosophical Quarterly
  • Philosophy and Phenomenological Research
  • Philosophical Studies
  • Philosophy of Science
  • Review of Metaphysics
  • Southern Journal of Philosophy

My blog: http://nomereape.tumblr.com/
03-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Is anyone claiming that Aristotle or Socrates was born of a virgin, performed miracles and rose from the dead?

Even if God and Jesus existed and I could live forever just by believing in them, I'm not so sure that eternal hellfire would be worse than having the omnipotent psychopath and his bastard kid looking over me for all eternity.