What evidence would convince you of the existence of god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2012, 03:32 AM
RE: What evidence would convince you of the existence of god?
(30-10-2012 11:26 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Don't worry, you know me, I'm a die-hard atheist. But I got to thinking: what evidence would it take to convince me of the existence of a personal god? I ruminated on this for about ten minutes.

If god appeared to me, and me alone, and performed no enduring or testable miracles, I would not consider that compelling evidence, and after the experience would likely seek a psychiatrist. It's too easy for the mind to be fooled or to conjure hallucinations.

If god appeared to me and several other skeptics of sound mind in an environment where a hoax or mass hallucination seemed unlikely and performed substantial miracles, that would be more compelling, but I would still be very skeptical until his supernatural powers could be tested.

I finally got it though. I know what would convince me to drop my heathenous ways and become a god-fearing, bible-thumping Christian.

If god/Jesus appeared to me in the flesh in front of a dozen other skeptics and performed a substantial, enduring, and testable miracle for each of us that would be compelling. A substantial, enduring, and testable miracle for me would be if god were to cure my poor eyesight and give me 20/20 vision. I currently cannot read my computer screen or a book from 18 inches away with my glasses off. If god cured my nearsightedness that would be a substantial miracle which would presumably endure beyond the encounter, and which could be easily tested by going to the nearest optometrist and taking the wall chart test. Jesus cured the blind all the time, and I'm only half-blind, so this shouldn't be too hard for him.

SO I BESEECH THEE O MIGHTY LORD, CURE MY EYESIGHT SO THAT I MAY SEE NATURALLY WITHOUT THE AID OF GLASSES OR CONTACTS, SO THAT MY VISION BE SUBSTANTIALLY AND PERMANENTLY IMPROVED. DO THIS FOR ME AND I WILL DEVOTE MY LIFE TO YOUR WORSHIP AND YOUR GOSPEL AND I WILL LIVE A GOOD AND CHRISTIAN LIFE ACCORDING TO THE TEACHINGS OF JESUS AND THE BIBLE. THIS I SWEAR. AMEN.

I figure that's about as sincere as I can be. If I wake up tomorrow with 20/20 vision (or even a close facsimile thereof) I'll become a Christian. Bowing If not, well... Drinking Beverage

Re "DO THIS FOR ME AND I WILL DEVOTE MY LIFE TO YOUR WORSHIP AND YOUR GOSPEL AND I WILL LIVE A GOOD AND CHRISTIAN LIFE ACCORDING TO THE TEACHINGS OF JESUS AND THE BIBLE. THIS I SWEAR. AMEN."

Impossible! The bible is so full of contradictory bullshit you wouldn't know whether you were Arthur or Martha. Plus you'd end up in prison.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
31-10-2012, 04:43 AM
What would convince me of the existence of god?

If I was to go to my internet banking right now and $10million dollars was in my account.
If that happened I would get on my knees and praise be the lord.

Nope, still atheist... and broke.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
31-10-2012, 05:10 AM
If an all powerful being proved its existence we should find a way to capture it, put it on trial for its crimes against humanity and imprison/kill it forever.

'The world holds two classes of men: intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence.' - Abdallah al-Ma'arri
[+] 5 users Like daylightisabadthing's post
31-10-2012, 05:57 AM
I was all "flaming agnostic" until the LC showed up on the jobsite, so I tend to think you all can be convinced there is a god. But I also think this is an intelligent group of eukaryotes, so you'd prolly come to the same conclusion I did, that there is no external god. Thumbsup

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
31-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Nothing.
If something happened I could not explain, I would never say "oh, god did it". There is no coherent definition of "godness".
A *definition* would be self-refuting.
I would just say "hmm, that's interesting, maybe we'll explain that some day".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

31-10-2012, 07:08 AM
(31-10-2012 05:10 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  If an all powerful being proved its existence we should find a way to capture it, put it on trial for its crimes against humanity and imprison/kill it forever.

Lolz. How the fuck... You and the four peeps who like this post... are dumb. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
31-10-2012, 07:16 AM
If a god were discovered by science, its properties understood, described, and tested... the term god would have to be exchanged in relation to this creature with a more descriptive term. As we have replaced "monster" with lion, tiger, and bear so we might replace "god" with more descriptive terms. "god" might be reserved for the even more terrible, and more imaginary creatures that remain undescribed.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
31-10-2012, 07:16 AM
(31-10-2012 07:08 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 05:10 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  If an all powerful being proved its existence we should find a way to capture it, put it on trial for its crimes against humanity and imprison/kill it forever.

Lolz. How the fuck... You and the four peeps who like this post... are dumb. Big Grin

We don't really have much to lose anyway.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
31-10-2012, 07:25 AM
If he could answer en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_mathematics

Through prayer, provide a consistent theology, and explain its self in a way that's not self contradictory.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
31-10-2012, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 07:31 AM by SomeOne.)
(30-10-2012 11:26 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Don't worry, you know me, I'm a die-hard atheist. But I got to thinking: what evidence would it take to convince me of the existence of a personal god?

That evidence (for me) would be that he actually start existing, reveal himself and demonstrate he can do things we dont.

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism