What evidence would convince you of the existence of god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2012, 10:40 AM
RE: What evidence would convince you of the existence of god?
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

*drumroll*

Nope. Drinking Beverage

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2012, 10:43 AM
(31-10-2012 07:08 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 05:10 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  If an all powerful being proved its existence we should find a way to capture it, put it on trial for its crimes against humanity and imprison/kill it forever.

Lolz. How the fuck... You and the four peeps who like this post... are dumb. Big Grin

Now now, Johnny. He was talking about The LC, not Gwyneth.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
31-10-2012, 10:43 AM
(31-10-2012 10:40 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

*drumroll*

Nope. Drinking Beverage

Disappointing.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
31-10-2012, 10:52 AM
(31-10-2012 10:43 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 07:08 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Lolz. How the fuck... You and the four peeps who like this post... are dumb. Big Grin

Now now, Johnny. He was talking about The LC, not Gwyneth.

Yabut. Imprision an all-powerful being? Kill it forever? That's just dumb shit right there. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
31-10-2012, 11:21 AM
(31-10-2012 07:08 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 05:10 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  If an all powerful being proved its existence we should find a way to capture it, put it on trial for its crimes against humanity and imprison/kill it forever.

Lolz. How the fuck... You and the four peeps who like this post... are dumb. Big Grin

Granted, that would be impossible by definition but then so is an omnipotent, omniscient being. Tongue

'The world holds two classes of men: intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence.' - Abdallah al-Ma'arri
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
31-10-2012, 11:35 AM
(30-10-2012 11:26 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Don't worry, you know me, I'm a die-hard atheist. But I got to thinking: what evidence would it take to convince me of the existence of a personal god? I ruminated on this for about ten minutes.

If god appeared to me, and me alone, and performed no enduring or testable miracles, I would not consider that compelling evidence, and after the experience would likely seek a psychiatrist. It's too easy for the mind to be fooled or to conjure hallucinations.

If god appeared to me and several other skeptics of sound mind in an environment where a hoax or mass hallucination seemed unlikely and performed substantial miracles, that would be more compelling, but I would still be very skeptical until his supernatural powers could be tested.

I finally got it though. I know what would convince me to drop my heathenous ways and become a god-fearing, bible-thumping Christian.

If god/Jesus appeared to me in the flesh in front of a dozen other skeptics and performed a substantial, enduring, and testable miracle for each of us that would be compelling. A substantial, enduring, and testable miracle for me would be if god were to cure my poor eyesight and give me 20/20 vision. I currently cannot read my computer screen or a book from 18 inches away with my glasses off. If god cured my nearsightedness that would be a substantial miracle which would presumably endure beyond the encounter, and which could be easily tested by going to the nearest optometrist and taking the wall chart test. Jesus cured the blind all the time, and I'm only half-blind, so this shouldn't be too hard for him.

SO I BESEECH THEE O MIGHTY LORD, CURE MY EYESIGHT SO THAT I MAY SEE NATURALLY WITHOUT THE AID OF GLASSES OR CONTACTS, SO THAT MY VISION BE SUBSTANTIALLY AND PERMANENTLY IMPROVED. DO THIS FOR ME AND I WILL DEVOTE MY LIFE TO YOUR WORSHIP AND YOUR GOSPEL AND I WILL LIVE A GOOD AND CHRISTIAN LIFE ACCORDING TO THE TEACHINGS OF JESUS AND THE BIBLE. THIS I SWEAR. AMEN.

I figure that's about as sincere as I can be. If I wake up tomorrow with 20/20 vision (or even a close facsimile thereof) I'll become a Christian. Bowing If not, well... Drinking Beverage

It's difficult to say, but for starters the god would have to be one never worshiped on this earth. None of those can be god and if any of those proved to me they actually exist and have great powers, I still would not worship them or consider them to be god. Doing so would violate my own moral code, common sense, or both.

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry
31-10-2012, 08:52 PM
For me, they would have to beam down, have a long, frank discussion about why they did what they did, what they hope to accomplish, and why so much of what we "know" of them is contradictory. They would also need to perform some testable, verifiable miracles in front of a group of observers - raising the dead, for example. Then I'd believe.
31-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I think the whole question of "what would convince me that an omnipotent omniscient etc God exists" is coming at it ass-backwards.

First, God shows up. We have a conversation. Maybe something less than a conversation. Perhaps an interaction over the phone involving bursts of prime numbers. Whatever. Something to convince me that this is a someone rather than just random chance. At this point, ________ exists. I can point to my medium of detecting it. Maybe not for the rest of the world, but for myself, at least.

THEN I start worrying and trying to figure out about (A) whether _________ is the Biblical, Koranic, or Other God, and (B) whether ______ has the qualities of omni-whatever. I suspect (B) could come down to, "okay, it's more powerful and aware than my ability to distinguish it from omnipotent and omniscient," at which point I can't really go any further.

But the order of operations goes, "Okay, I've identified something. Let's see what that something's like."

Warning Labels: Long-winded. Twisted sense of humor (including puns, literalisms, absurdisms, all complicated by sarcasm and deadpan delivery). Contrarian. Do not combine with high quantities of sugar, acid (corrosive or hallucinogenic), or people who take themselves too seriously.
31-10-2012, 11:49 PM
(30-10-2012 11:26 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  If I wake up tomorrow with 20/20 vision (or even a close facsimile thereof) I'll become a Christian. Bowing If not, well... Drinking Beverage

Please don't keep us in suspense ... Did it work?

31-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Posted just a few posts ago. Nope. Of course it didn't. Tongue

Christians: "Oh, but you didn't have enough FAITH. You didn't BELIEVE enough, you weren't SINCERE!!!"

Me: Go suck a dick for Jesus.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The response I got from telling a Ministry leader he has no evidence of God... TheLogicalAthiest 29 622 Yesterday 01:40 PM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf
  Evidence? Screw that! BlackMason 39 334 Yesterday 11:49 AM
Last Post: cjlr
  "The mind is proof of god's existence." Chujutsu 162 4,625 21-07-2014 03:42 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Arguments to convince religious people Mozart Link 11 289 02-07-2014 02:22 AM
Last Post: JONES
  The gods and super natural evidence thread Leo 22 450 03-06-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: WitchSabrina
  Jeremy E. Walker provides empirical evidence for the Christian God over other... rampant.a.i. 99 2,280 27-05-2014 12:57 AM
Last Post: morondog
  Yet More Evidence Why Religion Is A Poison WindyCityJazz 11 257 29-04-2014 04:41 PM
Last Post: WindyCityJazz