What evidence would convince you of the existence of god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2012, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 01:28 AM by Janus VI.)
RE: What evidence would convince you of the existence of god?
Evidence : LIFE

If you do not believe in God, start listing the things you believe in.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2012, 01:32 AM
(30-10-2012 11:26 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  But I got to thinking: what evidence would it take to convince me of the existence of a personal god?

Asking this question is kind of like saying to me: 'What do you feel is missing from your life that keeps you from believing in God?'

I guess my answer would be that I would need God to stop being so damn 'mysterious in his ways' and stop being such an absentee parent.
[+] 2 users Like kpax's post
01-11-2012, 01:59 AM
(31-10-2012 04:43 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  What would convince me of the existence of god?

If I was to go to my internet banking right now and $10million dollars was in my account.
If that happened I would get on my knees and praise be the lord.

Nope, still atheist... and broke.

Sorry. God had the wrong bank account number. It's in my account.
01-11-2012, 04:08 AM
(01-11-2012 01:22 AM)Janus VI Wrote:  Evidence : LIFE

Here's a list of things I believe in:

-
-
-
-
-

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
01-11-2012, 04:51 AM
You say that if you had a religious experience, you would just brush it off. But really you wouldn't, as long as it looked real in their eyes, nothing else will convince them.
01-11-2012, 05:14 AM
(01-11-2012 04:51 AM)Magoo Wrote:  You say that if you had a religious experience, you would just brush it off. But really you wouldn't, as long as it looked real in their eyes, nothing else will convince them.

I must say I am a little confused at that statement.. It seemed to have changed a little at some point on it's way to the finish line.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
01-11-2012, 06:52 AM
(01-11-2012 05:14 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(01-11-2012 04:51 AM)Magoo Wrote:  You say that if you had a religious experience, you would just brush it off. But really you wouldn't, as long as it looked real in their eyes, nothing else will convince them.

I must say I am a little confused at that statement.. It seemed to have changed a little at some point on it's way to the finish line.

Finish line? That fucker blew a rod off the pole. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-11-2012, 07:18 AM
(01-11-2012 01:22 AM)Janus VI Wrote:  Evidence : LIFE

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

Nope. We know how life could have started with no creator. (See the Szostak videos on YouTube). It also could have been seeded from elsewhere. Love is a human emotion, anthropomorphically projected onto god(s). It's actually good evidence against a god.
I don't think I would actually consider it evidence for a god but it might give me pause IF, in conjunction with a god claim there was to be seen, or found something totally 100 percent "unique", or "other" from human culture. All gods, known so far, arise from the cultures that create them. If one were to be seen, with knowledge that was unknown in the culture, (for example if Jesus had told the followers about Penicillin, or how to do a Mitral Valve replacement), then one would have to take a look. Today if a god would appear who told us about what exists outside this universe, and how to verify the claim, or what Dark Energy is or something we don't know, or can't explain, maybe I would look. It will never happen.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-11-2012, 07:21 AM
What evidence to prove god existed? Well... lets start with God first.
Prove him and then we'll talk. :-)
01-11-2012, 11:16 AM
The only way I could believe in a deity is if he gave me magic powers. By magic I mean abilities that defy physics, like telekinesis, teleportation, conjuring a flaming sword, casting magic missile... And even then, it would need to be permanent so that I could be sure that it wasn't just a dream. I would need to test my abilities a lot and check for consistencies every morning for a long time to be sure I'm not hallucinating. Even then, it would not prove the god to be that of any religion, only that a being exists who has powers that contradict scientific understanding.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post