What evidence you got to prove the existence of God ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2015, 06:08 AM
RE: What evidence you got to prove the existence of God ?
(02-09-2015 11:18 PM)Ghostbuster Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 09:46 PM)Aliza Wrote:  G-d is not a male. G-d has no gender at all. He's only referred to as a He because of the English language's tendency to assume masculinity when the gender is unknown. In Hebrew, G-d is referred to as both male and female according to "gender" of the vocabulary and the attributes that G-d is exhibiting.

Did you watch my video?

May be in Hebrew it means He or she, but in other languages when it means he it's a male and it's masculine.

I just want to make sure I’m being clear here. It’s not just that G-d is genderless in Hebrew only, like it’s some accident of the language. There are numerous citations within the Hebrew Scripture, and also discussions at length in the Talmud, which show that the Jewish understanding of G-d is that G-d has no physical form and no gender.

Following the line of succession here, the entire “OT” serves as the foundation on which Christianity is built, and it also serves as the starting point from where Islam took root. Both of these religions are off-shoots of Judaism, and their concepts of G-d are built on the Jewish concept.

While I can’t speak on authority for all Christians and Muslims, I’ve spoken to at least a handful of Christians who have been taught that G-d is really a genderless, bodiless “entity”, but they say “he” because there simply isn’t a better word to describe G-d.

I’ll grant that Mormonism (if my understanding is correct) views their god as being human-like with human attributes and human characteristics, but their views are supported with detailed descriptions of their god, which do detail a male figure and not a female one. They’re not just ignorantly calling him a “he” without ever having considered the possibility that they haven’t expanded their minds enough to entertain other explanations.

Video? It was posted specifically for you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2015, 07:03 AM
(03-09-2015 02:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 09:46 PM)Aliza Wrote:  G-d is not a male. G-d has no gender at all. He's only referred to as a He because of the English language's tendency to assume masculinity when the gender is unknown. In Hebrew, G-d is referred to as both male and female according to "gender" of the vocabulary and the attributes that G-d is exhibiting.

The god of the Abrahamic faiths is overwhelmingly masculine.

Yahweh Sabaoth (the lord of host/armies), the Canaanite regional war god with jurisdiction over the lands of Judea and the basis for the god of the Old Testament, was married to the goddess Asherah. However even that was a later addition after editors started to merged and subsume El Elyon (the one most high) with Yahweh on their gradual path to monotheism, as El was Asherah's original husband. The vocabulary quirks seen in the Old Testament are often a result of later editors trying to change earlier polytheistic stories and make them mesh better with later monotheistic sensibilities.

Ooooh! Videos! I can't view them until probably Sunday due to too much stupid homework, but I'm looking forward to them. Thanks for posting them. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
03-09-2015, 09:21 AM
(02-09-2015 10:46 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 07:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Because to me if Physicalism were true than God does not exist, but I guess that would amount to trading one unfalsifiable for another?

Materialism is falsifiable.

Then couldn't we say God beliefs, nearly all of of which would be false if Physicalism is true, also be falsifiable?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-09-2015, 10:52 AM
(03-09-2015 09:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 10:46 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Materialism is falsifiable.

Then couldn't we say God beliefs, nearly all of of which would be false if Physicalism is true, also be falsifiable?

Most of them are.

The only exceptions are those which fall into the category of garage dragons, and therefore don't exist anyway.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
03-09-2015, 11:04 AM
(03-09-2015 02:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

The god of the Abrahamic faiths is overwhelmingly masculine.

Yahweh Sabaoth (the lord of host/armies), the Canaanite regional war god with jurisdiction over the lands of Judea and the basis for the god of the Old Testament, was married to the goddess Asherah. However even that was a later addition after editors started to merged and subsume El Elyon (the one most high) with Yahweh on their gradual path to monotheism, as El was Asherah's original husband. The vocabulary quirks seen in the Old Testament are often a result of later editors trying to change earlier polytheistic stories and make them mesh better with later monotheistic sensibilities.

Yup. Women were second class citizens and therefore, were not god-like. Man was made first--a woman was made second. God made Adam--but made Eve out of Adam. That should tell you something right there about the early biblical and cultural interpretation of women. Women were also looked at as wicked sluts who led men astray. The Bible is littered with that interpretation.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
03-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Also Jesus refers to God as his father...

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
03-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Also God "appears" as a man in Gen. 32:22-32 and "wrestles" with Jacob.

03-09-2015, 11:19 AM
(03-09-2015 11:11 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Also God "appears" as a man in Gen. 32:22-32 and "wrestles" with Jacob.

You do know you can edit a post right? Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
03-09-2015, 11:20 AM
In terms of evidence for God, there is no evidence. Like none. Not one shred. Do some believers try and bend science and history and archaeology and facts and try to fit them into the Bible--yeah they do. But if you have to bend things to make them fit and/or ignore other things that don't fit--that should tell you something right there.

As a former Christian, my pastor would say that's why it's called faith...or taking a leap of faith. He also told me that of course, God isn't going to make it *easy* for us to believe--he wants us to trust in Him to take that leap.

03-09-2015, 11:31 AM
(03-09-2015 11:19 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 11:11 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Also God "appears" as a man in Gen. 32:22-32 and "wrestles" with Jacob.

You do know you can edit a post right? Tongue

Lol yeah sorry working while type Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post