What exactly is Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2014, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 10:43 AM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
What exactly is Christianity
I've run into a lot of people in my time who say they do not take the bible literally and it is more about the morals involved. i.e. they don't literally believe that Eve came from Adam's rib but it's more of a metaphor. Can this person successfully be labeled a Christian? Why or why not? If not what would you call them?

A better question might be, what is the neccessary criteria for being a Christian?

The answers to these questions should help spark some new thought processes for me. On a side note, I think it would be cool to eventially become knowledgable in many religions so I can make a tree diagram that shows where and why each religion parts ways.

Thanks!

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes smileXsmileXsmile's post
15-06-2014, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 10:50 AM by Impulse.)
RE: What exactly is Christianity
Believing that Jesus is God. Honestly, I think that's it. Just look at all the variations of Christianity. It's about all the every one of them has in common.

Edit:
On further thought, I think there are some Christians who only believe that Jesus was some kind of messenger of God as opposed to God himself.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
15-06-2014, 10:55 AM
(15-06-2014 10:45 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Believing that Jesus is God. Honestly, I think that's it. Just look at all the variations of Christianity. It's about all the every one of them has in common.

Edit:
On further thought, I think there are some Christians who only believe that Jesus was some kind of messenger of God as opposed to God himself.

The very early Christians didn't think that.
They fought about what that meant in the councils, as they worked on cooking up their new beligion.

There are already many "tree" diagrams.

One is here. I don't agree with it entirely, but it's a start.
http://funki.com.ua/ru/portfolio/lab/wor...ions-tree/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-06-2014, 12:12 PM
(15-06-2014 10:38 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  I've run into a lot of people in my time who say they do not take the bible literally and it is more about the morals involved. i.e. they don't literally believe that Eve came from Adam's rib but it's more of a metaphor. Can this person successfully be labeled a Christian? Why or why not? If not what would you call them?

I often think many Christians consider the bible or other "holy" books to be "self help/guidance" books, more or less. I think they consciously know the stories are absurd fiction but they become confused when these stories are conflated with something they "believe in". Christians "believe" or are fairly certain their god can perform miracles like the things described in the stories... this makes them believe the stories are "of god" or divine.

(15-06-2014 10:38 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  A better question might be, what is the neccessary criteria for being a Christian?
A certainty that a god exists and is, or at least was, in charge of things like the creation of the universe and that this certainty guarantees an afterlife.

(15-06-2014 10:38 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  The answers to these questions should help spark some new thought processes for me. On a side note, I think it would be cool to eventially become knowledgable in many religions so I can make a tree diagram that shows where and why each religion parts ways.

Cool. Of course, your inquiries into how and why the Abrahamic religions part ways may vary. I've done some personal research... if I can find a summary, I'll post it. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-06-2014, 12:17 PM
I think the fact that there are so many different versions of Christianity speaks volumes in itself. Its extremely ambiguous and can be interpreted in so many different ways.

Assuming Jesus existed, I doubt he or his followers would recognize Christianity today.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
15-06-2014, 12:26 PM
(15-06-2014 10:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The very early Christians didn't think that.
They fought about what that meant in the councils, as they worked on cooking up their new beligion.

Comments like this are exactly why the OP is in the wrong place for asking such questions.

The early Christians believed Christ was God incarnate and were willing to die for this belief.

Why was the threat of death something they had to be concerned about?

Because the first Christians WERE JEWISH. And the belief that Jesus of Nazareth was One with the Father was blasphemous in the eyes of the Jewish Religious establishment which is what these Christians were proclaiming.
15-06-2014, 12:40 PM
(15-06-2014 12:26 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The early Christians believed Christ was God incarnate and were willing to die for this belief.

Because the first Christians WERE JEWISH. And the belief that Jesus of Nazareth was One with the Father was blasphemous in the eyes of the Jewish Religious establishment which is what these Christians were proclaiming.

Much like the people who drank the coolaid...they believed in their leader too.

Or the suicide bombers, they believe in heaven too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-06-2014, 12:53 PM
(15-06-2014 12:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  Much like the people who drank the coolaid...they believed in their leader too.

Or the suicide bombers, they believe in heaven too.

It is "Kool-aid".

And yes, Jim Jones' followers believed in their leader and so do the suicide bombers.

What is your point?
15-06-2014, 12:57 PM
(15-06-2014 12:26 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 10:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The very early Christians didn't think that.

Comments like this are exactly why the OP is in the wrong place for asking such questions.

The early Christians believed Christ was God incarnate and were willing to die for this belief.

Actually the OP is in the exact right place for asking such questions.
Why?
Because there seems to be quite a few people here that deal in facts and actual reality. People here do not generally base their ideas in tradition or nonsensical tales. It seems people here usually follow where the evidence leads.
Whenever for example I ask a devout Muslim about why no pigs I get "because Allah said so." I never get a real explanation. Just as I always get a magical explanation when asking about the origins of Islam itself.
The same is true when dealing with Christians or any other group that believes in magic. Asking a question of one who's judgement is clouded by faith is a great way to gain misinformation
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
15-06-2014, 12:59 PM
(15-06-2014 10:45 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Believing that Jesus is God. Honestly, I think that's it.
And no-one knows who Jesus is, no-one knows Jesus. Of course many people imagine having a relationship with him.

But Jesus is just a name.
They imagine the name Jesus to be associate as male and they imagine this name to be god or son of god or both at the same time No

So putting the word "Jesus" and the word "God" together.
Making a random choice to believe Jesus is god then a person is randomly saved, gets to go to heaven and savour the belief that non Christians will be tortured for eternity.