What exactly is Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2014, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 04:31 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: What exactly is Christianity
(15-06-2014 04:23 PM)Anna Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:06 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Of course that explanation assumes that Muhammad actually existed. He may have I don't know but it's much more plausible.
If a person wants to know the actual origins of Islam or any religion it does no good to ask someone who presupposes that the religion is true. It's pretty likely that the person will not investigate honestly.

Thats true. I come from a Muslim family and even though I don't believe any of Muslim teachings I still think that Mohammed may have been real and not mythical because he didn't perform any miracles like Jesus did, he just went to people with Quran and preached his religion, was poor and didnt claim to be god. He may have been mythical but its just my view that since no magic was involved he might be real and just wrote a book about how he assumed things work and impressed a bunch of people.

Anna,
Have you read or heard of Robert Spencer ?
Actually there was a lot of magic involved. An angel dictated, supposedly, the Quran. We know that parts of the Quran pre-existed in Arabic culture, as well as stones around which communities walked, (as in the Haj). Then there was the magic trip/flight to Jerusalem. Was that not magic ? We know where the developers of Islam got Allah from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUC5Su5P8D4

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2014, 04:33 PM
(15-06-2014 04:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:23 PM)Anna Wrote:  Thats true. I come from a Muslim family and even though I don't believe any of Muslim teachings I still think that Mohammed may have been real and not mythical because he didn't perform any miracles like Jesus did, he just went to people with Quran and preached his religion, was poor and didnt claim to be god. He may have been mythical but its just my view that since no magic was involved he might be real and just wrote a book about how he assumed things work and impressed a bunch of people.

Anna,
Actually there was a lot of magic involved. An angel dictated, supposedly, the Quran. We know that parts of the Quran pre-existed in Arabic culture, as well as stones around which communities walked, (as in the Haj). Then there was the magic trip/flight to Jerusalem. Was that not magic ? We know where the developers of Islam got Allah from.

Right! I remember those stories now. Didn't he also fly to heaven?
15-06-2014, 04:35 PM
(15-06-2014 04:23 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  Jesus Christ is the true image of God sent by God, as in His Character. This True Image of God sent by God reveals a self sacrificing Love even unto death, even while forgiving those who crucify him. Obviously, since God sent a true image of Himself to believe in, we were therefore corrupted in our wills by belief in a false image upon which we reasoned right and wrong, which also corrupted the moral spirit in our souls. We therefore needed a True image of God to replace the false image we before believed in. The word Christ/Messiah actually means the True Image of God sent by God.

It doesn't matter whether the story of Adam and Eve is literal or metaphor. In spiritual terms Male/female simply means one was made from the other which means one came before the other, which then implies different perspectives based upon such circumstances.

Yes. Adam came before Eve. If he had just a little more stamina maybe she wouldn't have had enough time to fuck around with forbidden fruit.

This joke deserves acknowledgement goddammut!
15-06-2014, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 04:46 PM by childeye.)
(15-06-2014 04:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  Jesus Christ is the true image of God sent by God, as in His Character. This True Image of God sent by God reveals a self sacrificing Love even unto death, even while forgiving those who crucify him. Obviously, since God sent a true image of Himself to believe in, we were therefore corrupted in our wills by belief in a false image upon which we reasoned right and wrong, which also corrupted the moral spirit in our souls. We therefore needed a True image of God to replace the false image we before believed in. The word Christ/Messiah actually means the True Image of God sent by God.

It doesn't matter whether the story of Adam and Eve is literal or metaphor. In spiritual terms Male/female simply means one was made from the other which means one came before the other, which then implies different perspectives based upon such circumstances.

Another load of meaningless drivel, with no references.

"Jesus Christ is the true image of God sent by God, as in His Character." is a non sequitur.
What exactly were the Jews (his "chosen people") worshiping all those years before ?

"The word Christ/Messiah actually means the True Image of God sent by God."
is a flat-out lie.

"It doesn't matter whether the story of Adam and Eve is literal or metaphor. In spiritual terms Male/female simply means one was made from the other which means one came before the other, which then implies different perspectives based upon such circumstances."

I see you can twist and rationalize and try to make any piece of garbage look pretty, if you try.

Thumbsup
Respectfully you are not a Christian. You therefore don't know what you're talking about, which is understandable.
15-06-2014, 04:41 PM
(15-06-2014 04:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:23 PM)Anna Wrote:  Thats true. I come from a Muslim family and even though I don't believe any of Muslim teachings I still think that Mohammed may have been real and not mythical because he didn't perform any miracles like Jesus did, he just went to people with Quran and preached his religion, was poor and didnt claim to be god. He may have been mythical but its just my view that since no magic was involved he might be real and just wrote a book about how he assumed things work and impressed a bunch of people.

Anna,

I know a bit about him but haven't read any of his works yet.
Yes it was a revelation, it was Gabriel who dictated the Quran. And about that trip, it's what he said. I dont think there were any witnesses who saw him mount a winged horse and fly all the way to jerusalem then up into the heavens. This is fairytale shit, and I am ashamed to accept that every Muslim believes this but it is not possible and it shouldnt be believed since no one saw him do that, it may as well have been a dream. Its said that angel Gabriel cut his esophagus down to his stomach and emptied the contents and filled it with a golden fluid of wisdom, I mean really?

All great truths begin as blasphemy - George Bernard Shaw
15-06-2014, 04:42 PM
(15-06-2014 04:33 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Anna,

Right! I remember those stories now. Didn't he also fly to heaven?

Yup, he took a connecting flight on a winged horse to Jerusalem then launched himself to the heavens and met the other deceased prophets.

All great truths begin as blasphemy - George Bernard Shaw
[+] 1 user Likes Anna's post
15-06-2014, 04:45 PM
(15-06-2014 04:40 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Another load of meaningless drivel, with no references.

"Jesus Christ is the true image of God sent by God, as in His Character." is a non sequitur.
What exactly were the Jews (his "chosen people") worshiping all those years before ?

is a flat-out lie.

"It doesn't matter whether the story of Adam and Eve is literal or metaphor. In spiritual terms Male/female simply means one was made from the other which means one came before the other, which then implies different perspectives based upon such circumstances."

I see you can twist and rationalize and try to make any piece of garbage look pretty, if you try.

Thumbsup
You are not a Christian. You therefore don't know what you're talking about which is understandable.

You are not an atheist. You therefore don't know what you are talking about which is understandable...
I don't know if you are a Christian or an atheist or whatever but you can probably see how I came off as a condescending asshole there.
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
15-06-2014, 04:49 PM
(15-06-2014 04:45 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:40 PM)childeye Wrote:  You are not a Christian. You therefore don't know what you're talking about which is understandable.

You are not an atheist. You therefore don't know what you are talking about which is understandable...
I don't know if you are a Christian or an atheist or whatever but you can probably see how I came off as a condescending asshole there.
You don't sound like an asshole to me. You simply stated a fact. I am not an atheist depending upon how you define the term God. I am an atheist if the term god is defined as anything that is not real.
15-06-2014, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 07:33 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(15-06-2014 04:40 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Another load of meaningless drivel, with no references.

is a flat-out lie.

Thumbsup
Respectfully you are not a Christian. You therefore don't know what you're talking about, which is understandable.

Unfortunately for you, (still not having produced even ONE reference) it is one of my (few) fields of expertise. Nowhere does it say you have to be a believer to be a scholar. There are many scholars that are not believers, AND you again have stated something without backing it up with any reasoning or reference. In fact you stated something flatly false. I lie. Being a believer does not make you an expert in anything.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-06-2014, 07:21 PM
(15-06-2014 12:26 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The early Christians believed Christ was God incarnate and were willing to die for this belief.

Why was the threat of death something they had to be concerned about?

Because the first Christians WERE JEWISH. And the belief that Jesus of Nazareth was One with the Father was blasphemous in the eyes of the Jewish Religious establishment which is what these Christians were proclaiming.

First of all, is there any evidence outside the Bible that the founders of Christianity were killed? If so, what is it? If not, then you're using the founder's deaths to justify the truth of the Bible, and you're using the Bible to make the claim they were killed. It's circular.

Secondly, even if it weren't circular, all you've proven is they really believed it. Belief doesn't make something true, or do you believe all of the world's religions are simultaneously true?

(15-06-2014 12:53 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  And yes, Jim Jones' followers believed in their leader and so do the suicide bombers.

What is your point?

It means that just because someone is willing to die for something doesn't make it true; it just means they really really believe in it. Unless you're asserting the claims of the Jonestown cult and Islam are also true.