What exactly is Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2014, 12:15 AM
RE: What exactly is Christianity
(16-06-2014 12:00 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:40 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  That is a mixture of ad hominem and no true scotsman fallacies. There is no reason that he can't know scripture as well or better than you do, regardless of your religious stance, which, btw, makes you no more an expert of theology than being English makes you an expert on anglo saxon history.
Respectfully, I never said he can't know scripture as well or better than I do. I said he doesn't know Christ as well as a disciple of Christ.

But what you have to realize is that what you are essentially saying is, "of course you don't believe it, because you don't believe it".

Understanding it is a very broad topic, keep in mind you think that your dog has an eternal soul. It is a very arrogant position to take to think that your understanding of these matters are more correct than millions of other thinkers, and to dismiss their views and understandings simply based on what makes you feel good. I know that arrogance is not something that you would like to attribute to yourself, yet there it is.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2014, 12:16 AM
(16-06-2014 12:00 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:40 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  That is a mixture of ad hominem and no true scotsman fallacies. There is no reason that he can't know scripture as well or better than you do, regardless of your religious stance, which, btw, makes you no more an expert of theology than being English makes you an expert on anglo saxon history.
Respectfully, I never said he can't know scripture as well or better than I do. I said he doesn't know Christ as well as a disciple of Christ.

Respectfully, I don't believe he claimed to know Christ, merely he claimed to know the religious text that inspires belief in him.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
16-06-2014, 12:28 AM
(16-06-2014 12:15 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:00 AM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, I never said he can't know scripture as well or better than I do. I said he doesn't know Christ as well as a disciple of Christ.

But what you have to realize is that what you are essentially saying is, "of course you don't believe it, because you don't believe it".

Understanding it is a very broad topic, keep in mind you think that your dog has an eternal soul. It is a very arrogant position to take to think that your understanding of these matters are more correct than millions of other thinkers, and to dismiss their views and understandings simply based on what makes you feel good. I know that arrogance is not something that you would like to attribute to yourself, yet there it is.
Respectfully, you are arriving at conclusions based upon assumptions. I never said anything you have attributed above. Nor do I think my understanding is more correct than millions of other thinkers. I don't even know many thinkers that I would be enabled to dismiss what they think. Yes I know Christ personally, and you can say that can't be true based on your discounting the existence of God. But your definition of god is a made up definition which is why you can discount god's existence. Under your definition of god I am an atheist too.
16-06-2014, 12:32 AM
(16-06-2014 12:16 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:00 AM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, I never said he can't know scripture as well or better than I do. I said he doesn't know Christ as well as a disciple of Christ.

Respectfully, I don't believe he claimed to know Christ, merely he claimed to know the religious text that inspires belief in him.
Thanks for the response. But the text you are referring to is not necessary to be inspired by the Christ. The Gospel is. True Christians would know this.
16-06-2014, 12:35 AM
What exactly is Christianity - Control for the masses.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
16-06-2014, 12:36 AM
(16-06-2014 12:32 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:16 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Respectfully, I don't believe he claimed to know Christ, merely he claimed to know the religious text that inspires belief in him.
Thanks for the response. But the text you are referring to is not necessary to be inspired by the Christ. The Gospel is. True Christians would know this.

Would this imply that some parts of the bible are false?
16-06-2014, 12:49 AM
(16-06-2014 12:36 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:32 AM)childeye Wrote:  Thanks for the response. But the text you are referring to is not necessary to be inspired by the Christ. The Gospel is. True Christians would know this.

Would this imply that some parts of the bible are false?
I am in no position to answer definitively since I don't understand all of scripture. Nor was I there obviously when it was written. However, I don't discount that possibility. I don't just read it and believe it. The reason there is a Holy Spirit of Truth is to reveal Truth.
16-06-2014, 12:54 AM
(16-06-2014 12:49 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:36 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Would this imply that some parts of the bible are false?
I am in no position to answer definitively since I don't understand all of scripture. Nor was I there obviously when it was written. However, I don't discount that possibility. I don't just read it and believe it. The reason there is a Holy Spirit of Truth is to reveal Truth.

Interesting. You have constructed your argument for biblical validity in this way:

All of the gospels are true
anything that is not the gospels may be false
ergo anything that contradicts the gospels must be false.

How do you know the gospels to be true?
16-06-2014, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014 01:29 AM by childeye.)
(16-06-2014 12:54 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:49 AM)childeye Wrote:  I am in no position to answer definitively since I don't understand all of scripture. Nor was I there obviously when it was written. However, I don't discount that possibility. I don't just read it and believe it. The reason there is a Holy Spirit of Truth is to reveal Truth.

Interesting. You have constructed your argument for biblical validity in this way:

All of the gospels are true
anything that is not the gospels may be false
ergo anything that contradicts the gospels must be false.

How do you know the gospels to be true?
You are mistaken about what I said. Your paraphrasing is not accurate. I didn't say the Gospels as in the four Gospels seen in the books of what is referred to as the new Testament. I said THEE Gospel which was foretold of in the Old Testament. In other words , the Gospel existed before the bible was ever written. It was told primarily by word of mouth. How do I know the Gospel is true. That's like asking how do you trust in Love?
16-06-2014, 01:57 AM
I believe the term that applies here is 'moving the goal posts'...I think.

The more truths we reveal through science, the more religion has to change its stance on what is/was metaphorical in their holy books.
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post