What exactly is Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2014, 02:00 AM
RE: What exactly is Christianity
(16-06-2014 01:24 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:54 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Interesting. You have constructed your argument for biblical validity in this way:

All of the gospels are true
anything that is not the gospels may be false
ergo anything that contradicts the gospels must be false.

How do you know the gospels to be true?
You are mistaken about what I said. Your paraphrasing is not accurate. I didn't say the Gospels as in the four Gospels seen in the books of what is referred to as the new Testament. I said THEE Gospel which was foretold of in the Old Testament. In other words , the Gospel existed before the bible was ever written. It was told primarily by word of mouth. How do I know the Gospel is true. That's like asking how do you trust in Love?

Translation: I am talking out of my ass as per normal and have no grasp on the history of my cult but like talking in circles to cover this fact up.

Yeah for the record I am going to say the guy studying in Harvard Divinity college has a better grasp of the material than someone who is playing fast and loose with simple definitions.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
16-06-2014, 02:05 AM
(16-06-2014 01:24 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 12:54 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Interesting. You have constructed your argument for biblical validity in this way:

All of the gospels are true
anything that is not the gospels may be false
ergo anything that contradicts the gospels must be false.

How do you know the gospels to be true?
You are mistaken about what I said. Your paraphrasing is not accurate. I didn't say the Gospels as in the four Gospels seen in the books of what is referred to as the new Testament. I said THEE Gospel which was foretold of in the Old Testament. In other words , the Gospel existed before the bible was ever written. It was told primarily by word of mouth. How do I know the Gospel is true. That's like asking how do you trust in Love?

I am confused. Are you claiming that the new testament gospels may not be divinely inspired? Wouldn't that imply that everything in the bible could be false?
16-06-2014, 02:43 AM
(16-06-2014 02:00 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 01:24 AM)childeye Wrote:  You are mistaken about what I said. Your paraphrasing is not accurate. I didn't say the Gospels as in the four Gospels seen in the books of what is referred to as the new Testament. I said THEE Gospel which was foretold of in the Old Testament. In other words , the Gospel existed before the bible was ever written. It was told primarily by word of mouth. How do I know the Gospel is true. That's like asking how do you trust in Love?

Translation: I am talking out of my ass as per normal and have no grasp on the history of my cult but like talking in circles to cover this fact up.

Yeah for the record I am going to say the guy studying in Harvard Divinity college has a better grasp of the material than someone who is playing fast and loose with simple definitions.
Cop-out.
16-06-2014, 02:44 AM
(16-06-2014 02:43 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 02:00 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Translation: I am talking out of my ass as per normal and have no grasp on the history of my cult but like talking in circles to cover this fact up.

Cop-out.

I agree your cherry picking is a cop-out.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-06-2014, 02:46 AM
(16-06-2014 02:05 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 01:24 AM)childeye Wrote:  You are mistaken about what I said. Your paraphrasing is not accurate. I didn't say the Gospels as in the four Gospels seen in the books of what is referred to as the new Testament. I said THEE Gospel which was foretold of in the Old Testament. In other words , the Gospel existed before the bible was ever written. It was told primarily by word of mouth. How do I know the Gospel is true. That's like asking how do you trust in Love?

I am confused. Are you claiming that the new testament gospels may not be divinely inspired? Wouldn't that imply that everything in the bible could be false?
No I'm claiming the Gospel was preached before the bible was written. The bible contains the Gospel according to etc...
16-06-2014, 02:47 AM
(16-06-2014 02:05 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  

No I'm claiming the Gospel was preached before the bible was written. The bible contains the Gospel according to etc...
16-06-2014, 02:49 AM
(16-06-2014 02:44 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 02:43 AM)childeye Wrote:  Cop-out.

I agree your cherry picking is a cop-out.
Please elaborate on what you mean by cherry picking.
16-06-2014, 02:51 AM
(16-06-2014 02:47 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 02:05 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I am confused. Are you claiming that the new testament gospels may not be divinely inspired? Wouldn't that imply that everything in the bible could be false?

I don't understand the distinction. If it was preached before it was written, and it was true when it was preached, it would still be true once someone wrote it done.

I will ask again, how do you know the gospels are true?
16-06-2014, 02:59 AM
What exactly is Christianity
(16-06-2014 02:47 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 02:05 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I am confused. Are you claiming that the new testament gospels may not be divinely inspired? Wouldn't that imply that everything in the bible could be false?

Oh come on. The gospels in the current bible were voted in by committee, were written 30 or more years after the events described, and gospels that date 2-6 CE aren't considered canon or divinely inspired.

You're cherry picking from a cherry picked tertiary source.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
16-06-2014, 03:36 AM
"The Gospels were preached before the Bible was written!"

"Where did you get that from?"

"The Bible."