What exactly is Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2014, 03:25 PM
RE: What exactly is Christianity
(16-06-2014 02:51 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 02:47 AM)childeye Wrote:  No I'm claiming the Gospel was preached before the bible was written. The bible contains the Gospel according to etc...

I don't understand the distinction. If it was preached before it was written, and it was true when it was preached, it would still be true once someone wrote it done.

I will ask again, how do you know the gospels are true?
The distinction was made several posts ago when I said that the scriptures are not necessary to be a Christian. The reason that is important for me to establish is to eliminate the false premise that Christians simply believe what they read.

You ask how I know the Gospel is true. The Gospel is like a question posed as a statement. Fundamentally it is asking me if I believe that God is of a character that would sacrifice Himself for others or sacrifice others for Himself. It is not about whether it is provable. It is about trust and distrust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2014, 03:30 PM
(16-06-2014 03:25 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 02:51 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I don't understand the distinction. If it was preached before it was written, and it was true when it was preached, it would still be true once someone wrote it done.

The distinction was made several posts ago when I said that the scriptures are not necessary to be a Christian. The reason that is important for me to establish is to eliminate the false premise that Christians simply believe what they read.

You ask how I know the Gospel is true. The Gospel is like a question posed as a statement. Fundamentally it is asking me if I believe that God is of a character that would sacrifice Himself for others or sacrifice others for Himself. It is not about whether it is provable. It is about trust and distrust.

Ah, the ever defensible "I feel it in my soul" argument.
16-06-2014, 03:31 PM
(16-06-2014 03:25 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 02:51 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I don't understand the distinction. If it was preached before it was written, and it was true when it was preached, it would still be true once someone wrote it done.

Is your name Oscar Meyer perchance?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
16-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Christianity much like atheism is what the name implies. Belief int he Christ, and atheism is "no(belief in) God".
Christianity though runs into a rut in that it not only has the concept of the Christ/Messiah wrong in accordance to Judaic teachings but their Christ is non existent historically although historically based and they do not even follow the teachings of Christ.
I guess the best way to describe Christianity is the world's largest fuck up

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo
16-06-2014, 04:34 PM
(16-06-2014 03:30 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 03:25 PM)childeye Wrote:  The distinction was made several posts ago when I said that the scriptures are not necessary to be a Christian. The reason that is important for me to establish is to eliminate the false premise that Christians simply believe what they read.

Ah, the ever defensible "I feel it in my soul" argument.
I don't get what you mean. I see nothing to defend.
16-06-2014, 04:41 PM
(15-06-2014 02:44 PM)Anna Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 12:57 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Actually the OP is in the exact right place for asking such questions.
Why?
Because there seems to be quite a few people here that deal in facts and actual reality. People here do not generally base their ideas in tradition or nonsensical tales. It seems people here usually follow where the evidence leads.
Whenever for example I ask a devout Muslim about why no pigs I get "because Allah said so." I never get a real explanation. Just as I always get a magical explanation when asking about the origins of Islam itself.
The same is true when dealing with Christians or any other group that believes in magic. Asking a question of one who's judgement is clouded by faith is a great way to gain misinformation

From what I know, they say Muslims shouldn't eat pig because it wallows in its own filth and sometimes eat it too so thats that. And regarding origins of islam, its quite complicated, but it goes something like Islam started with Adam and Eve, and Abraham and Moses and Jesus were all prophets of Allah spreading the religion. I've heard that the bible mentions the coming of a last prophet and even mentions his name (but I am not sure about this) so then came Mohammed and he was the final prophet and Koran was the last of scriptures. But those who didn't accept him as a prophet and continued to follow Jesus are now called Christians. Otherwise its said that all the previous prophets were spreading the religion of Allah but some people chose to believe only Moses or Jesus and thus they are not labelled as Muslims, but they are called Ehl-e-Kitaab, meaning 'of the book'.

The pig, like a number of other 'forbidden' critters, has cloven hooves. That's why it's forbidden. The devil has cloven hooves and that's why eating cloven hooved critters is forbidden.
16-06-2014, 04:54 PM
(16-06-2014 04:41 PM)CyberLN Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 02:44 PM)Anna Wrote:  From what I know, they say Muslims shouldn't eat pig because it wallows in its own filth and sometimes eat it too so thats that. And regarding origins of islam, its quite complicated, but it goes something like Islam started with Adam and Eve, and Abraham and Moses and Jesus were all prophets of Allah spreading the religion. I've heard that the bible mentions the coming of a last prophet and even mentions his name (but I am not sure about this) so then came Mohammed and he was the final prophet and Koran was the last of scriptures. But those who didn't accept him as a prophet and continued to follow Jesus are now called Christians. Otherwise its said that all the previous prophets were spreading the religion of Allah but some people chose to believe only Moses or Jesus and thus they are not labelled as Muslims, but they are called Ehl-e-Kitaab, meaning 'of the book'.

The pig, like a number of other 'forbidden' critters, has cloven hooves. That's why it's forbidden. The devil has cloven hooves and that's why eating cloven hooved critters is forbidden.

Cattle have cloven hooves. So do goats, sheep, and deer. Just sayin'.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
17-06-2014, 06:24 AM
(16-06-2014 04:41 PM)CyberLN Wrote:  The pig, like a number of other 'forbidden' critters, has cloven hooves. That's why it's forbidden. The devil has cloven hooves and that's why eating cloven hooved critters is forbidden.

I doubt that's the reason why. Back when those rules were written, they had no concept of Satan. The first mentioning you see of Satan in the old testament is in Job. There, he was referred to as the satan (meaning the adversary or the accuser), and it was his job to try and get Job to falter. It's quite a while into the Old Testament before the article is dropped, giving him the name "Satan". As the New Testament progressed, this is when Satan was dubbed "the Deceiver" and was given phenomenal cosmic powers to try and tempt us.

That being said, I'm not sure that there is any Biblical mentioning of Satan having cloven hooves, at least not written during the same period where people were saying "don't eat pigs" (anyone who knows otherwise, correct me if I'm wrong). Most of what people think of when they actually envision Satan comes from Bible fan-fiction, such as Dante's Inferno (crazy beast) or Milton's Paradise Lost (beautiful angel). Actual descriptions in the Bible of his appearance are very few and very vague.
17-06-2014, 10:55 AM
(16-06-2014 04:41 PM)CyberLN Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 02:44 PM)Anna Wrote:  From what I know, they say Muslims shouldn't eat pig because it wallows in its own filth and sometimes eat it too so thats that. And regarding origins of islam, its quite complicated, but it goes something like Islam started with Adam and Eve, and Abraham and Moses and Jesus were all prophets of Allah spreading the religion. I've heard that the bible mentions the coming of a last prophet and even mentions his name (but I am not sure about this) so then came Mohammed and he was the final prophet and Koran was the last of scriptures. But those who didn't accept him as a prophet and continued to follow Jesus are now called Christians. Otherwise its said that all the previous prophets were spreading the religion of Allah but some people chose to believe only Moses or Jesus and thus they are not labelled as Muslims, but they are called Ehl-e-Kitaab, meaning 'of the book'.

Huh

.... guess that means that the devil doesn't have eyes, because eating things with eyes isn't forbidden.

Guess that means that the devil doesn't have a tail, because eating things with tails isn't forbidden.

Guess that means that the devil doesn't have horns, because eating things with horns isn't forbidden.

... or skin. Or hair. Or teeth. Or a nose. Or...

It can't be that there's actually no causal link between features purportedly possessed by the devil, and the dietary restrictions of two of the three Abrahamic faiths, as could be determined by a few seconds of elementary critical thinking. No, that can't be it at all.

Dang, popular imagery of the devil must be ALL kinds of inaccurate!
17-06-2014, 10:59 AM
[Image: tumblr_kwncu71XCw1qzr8bso1_500.png]

Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]