What exactly is skepticism, really?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2013, 12:13 PM
RE: What exactly is skepticism, really?
A skeptic is someone who does not believe without sufficient evidence. The amount of evidence that it takes to turn a skeptic into a believer, however, is entirely subjective, as evidence itself is.

Science and skepticism go hand-in-hand in a way that nothing else does; scientists are skeptical towards their own findings.

Many scientists, when confronted with a new theory (even of their own), will try (with every ounce of effort) to prove it wrong, so that new theories may come along and change how we view the world, while ensuring that this view is within the bounds of mathematics and proven science.

A proven theory within science is only a theory that has yet to be proven wrong, paired with the characteristic of operating within the real world.

So, a skeptic is someone who does not believe without sufficient evidence, and, when sufficient evidence is produced (however subjective it may be), a skeptic will shift their view of reality to varying degrees; around evidence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
26-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Michael Shermer does a pretty good job of describing what a skeptic is in this video..
http://intjforum.com/showthread.php?t=116140&page=5
01-01-2014, 06:10 PM
(26-12-2013 01:25 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Michael Shermer does a pretty good job of describing what a skeptic is in this video..

Is that video on youtube, I cant access the link to that forum

"People who use quotes when running out of talking points to repeat or for lack of being capable of producing any kind of argument in a debate, are braindead fools who are incapable of thinking for themselves let alone arguing for themselves or their point of view" - The Germans are coming, member of TTAF
02-01-2014, 06:12 AM
(01-01-2014 06:10 PM)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 01:25 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Michael Shermer does a pretty good job of describing what a skeptic is in this video..

Is that video on youtube, I cant access the link to that forum

Sorry about that! Wrong link.
Here it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQOcdPohRKw
02-01-2014, 07:59 PM
(24-11-2013 06:12 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Skepticism = Anything anybody says is most likely bullshit.
Including yourself.

Trust no one. Not even Girly.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-03-2014, 01:34 PM
If skepticism is defined as believing only when there is evidence (where is the source for that definition anyways?) then aren't court judges and detectives skeptics per definition?

(02-01-2014 06:12 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 06:10 PM)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:  Is that video on youtube, I cant access the link to that forum

Sorry about that! Wrong link.
Here it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQOcdPohRKw

That's all nice stuff, but what about the specifics? Say the "scope" issues that skeptics regularly fight over? Can god claims be examined by skepticism? Daniel Loxton would say absolutely not. Shermer seems to be of two minds on the issue. Some people would say yes, absolutely, gods are fair game.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
03-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Personally to me it means , to err on the side of that which is more likely to be true, and then try to find out more about the subject.

I know that oversimplifies it, but its worked well for me so far.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
03-03-2014, 04:15 PM
(24-11-2013 07:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  My working definition is simply the refusal to accept claims without evidence.

It is not equivalent to science, it is necessary to be skeptical to do science.
What he said...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Drowning in Skepticism elconquistador 5 163 17-06-2014 02:37 PM
Last Post: Freethought
  Equal opportunity skepticism Chas 9 608 29-05-2014 07:08 PM
Last Post: gnostic130189
  The trouble with skepticism.... evenheathen 54 1,541 19-09-2013 12:41 PM
Last Post: gall