What fact started your journey towards atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 08:19 PM
What fact started your journey towards atheism?
What was the one fact, idea, argument, epiphany, etc. that started you on a path to disbelief? For me, it was the realization that there was nothing particularly special about Judeo-Christianity. There was nothing that made it any more convincing than any other faith. That was the beginning of my journey to atheism.

What was it for you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DoubtingThomas's post
03-01-2017, 08:24 PM
RE: What fact started your journey towards atheism?
I was 11 and asked a question in catechism class, and was given the response, "That's one of god's mysteries". It took a long time after that to finally just sever the ties. I didn't believe, but just went along with the program for a long while. I would have quit sooner, if the pressure to conform had been greater. I'm contrary like that.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
03-01-2017, 08:39 PM
I was fed the cherry picked passages in church. When I finally read the NT on my own, I got to the part about the zombies getting out of their graves and walking down the street. That was enough for me to start questioning Wink I also wasn't happy with my church's stance on a variety of issues (treatment of same sex couples, women, etc.). The Dawkins/Pell debate was a huge turning point for me and really started me on my path away from religion. I started doing a lot of investigation into the Bible (via scholarly research), delved deeper into science, anthropology, archaeology, etc. and realized I could no longer believe.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
03-01-2017, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 08:57 PM by Bucky Ball.)
The teacher was talking about going to heaven. I raised my hand.
I asked my 1st Grade teacher how one could *go somewhere* in a space-less/timeless environment.
She called my mother and told her I was trying to take over her class. Tongue
I mean fucking First Grade. Facepalm
My ma still laughs about that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 9 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-01-2017, 08:41 PM
(03-01-2017 08:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I asked my 1st Grade teacher how one could *go somewhere* in a space-less/timeless environment. She called my mother and told her I was trying to take over her class. Tongue
I mean fucking First Grade. Facepalm
My ma still laughs about that.

I can see that Tongue Laugh out load

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
03-01-2017, 09:02 PM
I never believed as long as I can remember but one thing I remember from when I was about five was one of my relatives bought me a picture Bible and it was on the living room floor open to a page where someone was stuck in a pit and they prayed and God sent ropes from the sky. Well my dad showed me the story and he said, "If you ever get stuck in a situation like that don't waste time praying. You start looking for some way out of there." I got the message.
03-01-2017, 09:26 PM
It wasn't any single fact that I can place my finger on. I've always been overly analytical (math was about the only class I enjoyed) and as far back as I can remember I'd be sitting in Sunday school listening to the latest lesson thinking to myself "this shit doesn't make sense".

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
03-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Our family wasn't very religious, I think my mom made us go to church mostly for the community connections. Catholic church.

I can remember being in church and thinking shit didn't add up. I am also a skeptic by nature. I remember getting in heated discussions (I think I was 13 or so?) with my friend about some 60 year old celibate male priest making declarations about what we can do as girls/women. This was way before we knew about the pedophilia. At this point, I hated the catholic church and what it stood for.

Honestly, I don't think I ever really believed in god.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
03-01-2017, 09:42 PM
I really didn't ever believe. I thought I was supposed to according to my Catholic upbringing. The pieces just didn't fit...finally I realized that I was told that I believed not that I really did believe.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
03-01-2017, 11:02 PM
One clear memory was when I read Rachel Carson's The Sea Around Us at about age 8.

The world was amazing, and natural.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user