What fact started your journey towards atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 11:08 PM
RE: What fact started your journey towards atheism?
It was two things for me: Firstly, how each faith and denomination claimed that its version was The Truth; and secondly, the Problem of Evil, which occurred to me when I saw the Iranian Revolution unfold in front of me in 1978.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-01-2017, 01:31 AM
Parents sucked at indoctrinating me so this particular fairy tale popular in my country seemed foolish.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
04-01-2017, 02:31 AM
Mythology and legends tales that I read I suppose as when it came to brief religion reading courses it all read in the same fairy tale manner

And certain stories, even from film or video games lead me to grasp the idea of questioning so called historical crazy realities.

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
04-01-2017, 02:32 AM
For me, it was primarily due to the fact that we moved around so much (military childhood) and each place we went I was told by my sunday school teachers and public school teachers to believe different things. Like how at first I was taught dinosaurs lived millions of years ago (God guided evolution). Then, suddenly, it was only 6000 years ago. And people rode them like horses.

The last straw was when I went to a private middle school and was told science and evolution were basically a lie, but they 'had' to 'teach' us about it, though we shouldn't believe any of it cuz reasons.

I didn't know who or what to believe anymore, and found it odd that none of these claims were backed by proof, so I decided to teach myself. I also read the Bible thoroughly.

Within a couple of years I was an agnostic atheist.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 4 users Like Loom's post
04-01-2017, 05:12 AM
(04-01-2017 02:32 AM)Loom Wrote:  For me, it was primarily due to the fact that we moved around so much (military childhood) and each place we went I was told by my sunday school teachers and public school teachers to believe different things. Like how at first I was taught dinosaurs lived millions of years ago (God guided evolution). Then, suddenly, it was only 6000 years ago. And people rode them like horses.

The last straw was when I went to a private middle school and was told science and evolution were basically a lie, but they 'had' to 'teach' us about it, though we shouldn't believe any of it cuz reasons.

I didn't know who or what to believe anymore, and found it odd that none of these claims were backed by proof, so I decided to teach myself. I also read the Bible thoroughly.

Within a couple of years I was an agnostic atheist.

If I was really brave, I'd love to have ridden a T Rex. Talk about a kick-ass ride! Mounting it and putting on the bridle would have been a death-defying experience. Guess I'll stick to my iron chariot. It's faster and I'm sure it has better breath. Big Grin
04-01-2017, 05:40 AM
(03-01-2017 08:19 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  What was the one fact, idea, argument, epiphany, etc. ...

A noticeable lack of lightning bolts.

Yes

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
04-01-2017, 07:12 AM
True story.

When I first read this thread title:

What fact started your journey towards atheism?

I thought it said:

What fart started your journey towards atheism?

That'd have been a hell of a curry. Ohmy

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
04-01-2017, 07:12 AM
It was a process for me that started at around age 10 with my Sunday school teachers talking about the "biblical reasons" that supported the subjugation of black people by white people and of females by males. I found that the Christians I knew (Southern Baptists, mostly) used the Bible to justify what they wanted to do and to control other people's behavior way more than they used things like the Ten Commandments or Jesus's precepts as principles to live by.

At first, I thought that that just meant that those Christians were misreading the Bible. But the more I read the Bible myself, the more I realized how incoherent and self-contradictory it was, and how lax morally. It was much more easy to use the Bible to support being horrid than it was to use the Bible to support being kind. Various bits of the Bible can be cited to support virtually any position; that's what makes it such an effective tool of oppression: it lets you choose any target that you find annoying/threatening. Now I know that the Christians of my childhood had, indeed, been using the Bible as it was intended, continuing the age-old tradition of being dicks for the divine.

This led me to the first big move away from religion, acknowledging that the God character of Christianity (and Judaism, and Islam) is morally reprehensible. From there to atheism was a less complicated process, though.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
04-01-2017, 07:42 AM
Like a few of the other guys here, even as a kid forced by my parents to go to Sunday school [sic], all the biblical stories never quite made any sense to my juvenile but skeptical mind. Somehow I seemed to know innately that the bible was nothing more than an elaborate fairly tale, and so I dismissed it as any sort of truthful account of the real world.

So I guess even from the age of 5 or six, I was an atheist—without knowing it to be so called. Talking animals and men walking on water or living inside a whale for three days? Yeah... sure thing LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-01-2017, 09:58 AM
My parents taught me to think rather than to kneel.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.