What fact started your journey towards atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2017, 10:04 AM
RE: What fact started your journey towards atheism?
"The creator of the universe" showing up on the job site with the line, "I have need of a prophet." I mean, how many options ya gotta bypass to descend to the Z-string fat ol' useless motherfucker like me to preach yer gospel? Laugh out load

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Lutheran school. Those puppies can pop out atheists quicker than a secular second. Guess it's kinda in their charter to be rebellious what with smearing 95 feces all over a church door and whatnot.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Well, I never was a believer and never went to church so....

The first time I heard about Jesus was when I was almost 10 years old and was singing Away In the Manger in school and asked this girl next to me who Jesus was?
Laugh out load

She was flabbergasted that I didn't know who the hell Jesus was. I still laugh about that. Laugh out load

Also when I finally heard the story of Mary being a virgin I thought " yeah, right." Dodgy So the real story is that this little girl got pregnant and tried to cover it up with claims of the messiah.

I can visualize how it all went down:
Mary: "Um, yeah. Mom and Dad, I'm pregnant with the messiah. This angel came to me and told me I'm gonna give birth to gods child. Yeah, that's the ticket. Old man Joseph isn't the father....it's really god's kid, I swear! "

Dad: "Sure Mary, now go outside and milk the goats."

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
04-01-2017, 10:28 AM
I think it was actually the lack of facts that did it.
04-01-2017, 10:32 AM
(04-01-2017 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Lutheran school. Those puppies can pop out atheists quicker than a secular second. Guess it's kinda in their charter to be rebellious what with smearing 95 feces all over a church door and whatnot.

95 feces .... lol
That's a new one on me.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-01-2017, 11:33 AM
(03-01-2017 08:19 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  What was the one fact, idea, argument, epiphany, etc. that started you on a path to disbelief? For me, it was the realization that there was nothing particularly special about Judeo-Christianity. There was nothing that made it any more convincing than any other faith. That was the beginning of my journey to atheism.

What was it for you?

A youth minister gave a sermon on suicide where he was mad at his grandmother because he'd never see her again because she was in hell because she jumped off of a bridge. Not a single word about what to do if you are depressed. Not a single word about how to tell if your friends are family are depressed. Not a single word about helping people get the help they need. Nothing. Notta. Zip. Zilch. Just a bunch of preaching about this particular "moral" dictation from god. That made me realize that I didn't agree with whatever moral character he was selling so I started trying to find god myself. Instead of finding god, I found that I didn't believe in god. Took 3-4 years of questioning though to get there.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
04-01-2017, 11:39 AM
(04-01-2017 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Lutheran school. Those puppies can pop out atheists quicker than a secular second. Guess it's kinda in their charter to be rebellious what with smearing 95 feces all over a church door and whatnot.

That was Martin Lufer and his feces. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
04-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Biology and physics. Real science.

I was raised without access to cable or broadcast television (we had a TV and VCR, but got videos from the public and church libraries, which were "God-approved" by my parents' reckoning) to prevent our exposure to "the World", so I spent my childhood reading.

I enjoyed reading science fiction and fantasy books, as well as encyclopedias (yeah I was such a smart/dorky little kid that my folks got me a How It Works encyclopedia set for my birthday, one year), and was exposed to enough science that when an evangelist came to our church from the Discovery Institute and told us why evolution was a Great Lie Of Satan™, I was able to spot some of the problems... while my preacher nodded along and said "amen".

Realizing my church was able to be so wrong, I started to investigate many of my church's claim. I had already read the Bible through once, in "study the whole Bible" fragments (as part of the evangelical Apologetics training that the smartest, most "on-fire-for-Jesus" kids in my church got), but went back and did so again, directly... and with a more critical eye. I began to look to other types of Christian denominations' explanations for things and at non-evangelical (fundamentalist) scholarship of the Bible's history and texts.

Within a few weeks, I began to ask questions of my pastor that led me to realize he was not honest, or that the positions were not rationally supportable. I walked away from the church and within five years (by the end of college) I openly called myself an atheist.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
04-01-2017, 12:05 PM
Mathematics

A few years ago, my classmates and I were devising hypotheses about certain aspects of probability theory in school and testing them for their validity afterwards. The idea of validating knowledge in a systematic way was and still is very appealing to me.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
04-01-2017, 12:29 PM
I'm another that never had to journey to atheism but was there as far back as I can remember. I always liked reading and things like mythology, science fiction, and science fact were all high on the list of favorites. The claims of religion were just so obviously identical to other myths and so opposed to science that there was no chance of believing them to be real.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP