What fact started your journey towards atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2017, 02:36 PM
RE: What fact started your journey towards atheism?
(04-01-2017 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Lutheran school. Those puppies can pop out atheists quicker than a secular second. Guess it's kinda in their charter to be rebellious what with smearing 95 feces all over a church door and whatnot.
For once it's not Catholic school! I almost feel like I should pull a George W. Bush and unfurl a "Mission Accomplished" banner.

(04-01-2017 10:19 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, I never was a believer and never went to church so....

The first time I heard about Jesus was when I was almost 10 years old and was singing Away In the Manger in school and asked this girl next to me who Jesus was?
Laugh out load

She was flabbergasted that I didn't know who the hell Jesus was. I still laugh about that. Laugh out load

Funny story...when I was in high school, Passion of the Christ came out. One guy in my computer class had to have it explained to him that there was NOT a zombie sequel after Jesus rose from the grave, because he had never heard the story either. The guy who explained it to him was later my partner in undergrad on a philosophy movie review project who said, "I don't know how anyone in our culture can not be a Believer!" Meanwhile, while he ate with his family and prayed about our paper, I hammered out a thing on how Independence Day is about nihilism, in order to satisfy our professor, before pastor's kid (the partner) could make it an attempt to convert the prof and get us both an F.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
04-01-2017, 04:34 PM
I forget what brand of Christianity this particular church subscribed to, but I remember my experiences there very well. Preacher was loud and aggressive, environment was HIGHLY sexist (women had to wear plain dresses, once he caught my mom praying over someone else and held an entire fucking sermon about how women shouldn't do that and it's a man's job), fire-and-brimstone teachings, very brainwashy in general environment.

Made all sorts of false promises. "GAAAWD will talk back when you pray to him!" Didn't hear shit. "YOUR FOOD WILL TASTE BETTER WHEN YOU PRAY OVER IT!!" Didn't taste anything different. Then he did a sermon on the unforgivable sin, that very night I tried to do it, and from then on I had a raging fear of hell, even though I couldn't help but wonder why God would burn a 9 year old girl forever for simply insulting something.

Years later, cue my trip to a Christian friend where my fears of hell came back full force, and I immediately began looking up everything I could debunking it all.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Diddlyboop's post
04-01-2017, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2017 08:56 PM by Kernel Sohcahtoa.)
I'd say that my journey toward atheism/agnosticism really began during my sophmore year of high school. In English class, we began reading Inherit The Wind along with seeing the 1960 film of the same name. Now, by no means was I any kind of intellectual (nor do I imply that I'm one now): I went to military school, and unfortunately, I was more interested in playing soldier than in gaining a true appreciation for the beauty and excitement of ideas and knowledge. However, studying this material helped me realize that I identified much more with the agnostic/atheist camp than I did with the religious/theistic camp (I had been brought up to practice Judaism, and I completed my Barmitzvah; however, my family was pretty lax and not strict about Judaism). Furthermore, to be frank and honest, the strong desire to conform to the herd, which was depicted in the play and in the film, made me realize that social connection and acceptance/belonging were the principal reasons why religion/theism had any sort of sway over me. Hence, this experience was instrumental in helping me define my own path toward free-thought, reason, and inquiry while respecting the paths other people choose to take.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 4 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
04-01-2017, 07:36 PM
(04-01-2017 07:10 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  In English class, we began reading Inherit The Wind along with seeing the 1960 film of the same name.
I would recommend anyone here who hasn't seen that movie to watch it asap. It's one of my all-time favorites. Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
04-01-2017, 07:51 PM
As someone who considered myself a "non-practicing" Christian for a long time, just finally having the free time and motivation in college to be able to do some serious self-guided research on other people's religious beliefs, like Catholicism, Judaism, and Mormonism was enough to raise some serious doubts.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
05-01-2017, 05:14 AM
I was never indoctrinated in the first place, although I imagine things might have been different of my parents hadn't divorced; hooray for that? But even the cultural myth had little hold over me because I loved reading mythology as a child, especially Egyptian and Greek (too bad Kevin Sorbo is a nutter now, because I grew up loving Hercules on SciFi Channel). It doesn't take much to see that Christianity is just a myth that people take seriously, one that has yet to be laid to rest in that mass grave for former religions collectively known as mythology.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-01-2017, 07:21 AM
(05-01-2017 05:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I was never indoctrinated in the first place...

Wasn't either. Came to agnosticism on my own. It took god to get me to atheism. Laugh out load

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Reading the entire bible at age 10, just after reading Grimm's fairy tales. Looked like the same thing to me so I filed the bible away along with my fairy tale books and moved on to other stuff to read.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
05-01-2017, 08:40 AM
(04-01-2017 02:36 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Lutheran school. Those puppies can pop out atheists quicker than a secular second. Guess it's kinda in their charter to be rebellious what with smearing 95 feces all over a church door and whatnot.
For once it's not Catholic school! I almost feel like I should pull a George W. Bush and unfurl a "Mission Accomplished" banner.

The Catholics are already atheists.

#sigh
05-01-2017, 11:32 AM
(05-01-2017 08:40 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 02:36 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  For once it's not Catholic school! I almost feel like I should pull a George W. Bush and unfurl a "Mission Accomplished" banner.

The Catholics are already atheists.

Nah! They're polytheists. Have you seen that mass of saints and things?

Mass Effect:
- The memetic equivalent of a tumour.
- With a Shepard as the saviour.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post