What fact started your journey towards atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2017, 12:17 PM
RE: What fact started your journey towards atheism?
(05-01-2017 08:40 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 02:36 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  For once it's not Catholic school! I almost feel like I should pull a George W. Bush and unfurl a "Mission Accomplished" banner.

The Catholics are already atheists.
Woo, deja vu. I saw some Trad Catholics the other day who were accusing Pope Francis of being an atheist, and saying that he's embracing "secular humanist" values instead of Christian ones.

(05-01-2017 11:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 08:40 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Catholics are already atheists.

Nah! They're polytheists. Have you seen that mass of saints and things?

Mass Effect:
- The memetic equivalent of a tumour.
- With a Shepard as the saviour.

If we want to expand the Christ figure of the heroic player character of Shephard, remember that he's resurrected in the second game, and sacrifices himself for humanity in the third. Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
05-01-2017, 01:13 PM
(05-01-2017 12:17 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 11:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Nah! They're polytheists. Have you seen that mass of saints and things?

Mass Effect:

If we want to expand the Christ figure of the heroic player character of Shephard, remember that he's resurrected in the second game, and sacrifices himself for humanity in the third. Tongue

Fair enough. I've not played it but I'll give you that.

Also... he's not real; he's a human construct.

Your serve.

Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-01-2017, 01:22 PM
(05-01-2017 12:17 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 11:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Nah! They're polytheists. Have you seen that mass of saints and things?

Mass Effect:

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-01-2017, 02:50 PM
As a kid, I noticed a few inconsistencies in Christian lore which led to several unanswered questions. For example, I never understood why Jesus's crucifixion was necessary. God's wrath was upon the human race, and he needed "innocent" blood, so when Jesus paid Adam and Eve's debt by dying, that allowed God, by his own standard, to forgive humanity. God's pettiness aside, I was also taught that God could do anything and that he was loving. In the Old Testament, animal sacrifice was needed to put away sin, thus the reason why Jesus is often referred to as "The Lamb of God." But that was God's law - a law he, an all-powerful, omniscient being, could have changed at any time. So I concluded that not only was this all was completely unnecessary, but also that God was kind of mean. And that was just one of many questions I had.

Some time later, my parents enrolled me in an evangelical school. Then everything just fell apart. :P
[+] 2 users Like Sloane's post
05-01-2017, 03:00 PM
If God created everything, and everything includes God, then wtf?
[+] 1 user Likes excitedpenguin's post
05-01-2017, 07:12 PM
(05-01-2017 01:13 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 12:17 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  If we want to expand the Christ figure of the heroic player character of Shephard, remember that he's resurrected in the second game, and sacrifices himself for humanity in the third. Tongue

Fair enough. I've not played it but I'll give you that.

Also... he's not real; he's a human construct.

Your serve.

Drinking Beverage

Also Shephard defeats the ultimate evil and casts it down from the stars/heavens...anyhow, sorry, you didn't play it, but I had to say something. Especially considering your rather well placed burn (albeit, one I disagree with) at the end. My exact words were to say out loud, "Well, I walked right into that line."

(05-01-2017 01:22 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 12:17 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  If we want to expand the Christ figure of the heroic player character of Shephard, remember that he's resurrected in the second game, and sacrifices himself for humanity in the third. Tongue

Love that video so much.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
23-02-2017, 07:32 PM
For me it was learning that Jews made up less than 1% of the population.

I was raised Jewish, which is to say that Judaism was my assigned childhood religion. After a while i got to thinking, why, if this is correct, isn't everyone Jewish?

It was around this time that i learned the phrase 'mutually exclusive.' I realized that for any religion to be right would mean that all the others weren't. All of them being wrong just seemed so much more likely.