What fuel will be used for space travel?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2011, 09:39 AM
What fuel will be used for space travel?
Just wondering what you guys think will be used as fuel in the future say 40 years from now?

The fish who keeps on swimming is the first to chill upstream.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2011, 09:59 AM
RE: What fuel will be used for space travel?
Sorry, Snuff, I guess you haven't heard the Good News. Jesus will be returning any day now, so your question is moot.

But, if you're just wanting to play, "What If?", then I like to occasionally pop in on Project Icarus to see what sorts of ideas they're generating. One possible idea is to harvest gas from Uranus. Hehe...no really. It's not a joke. Gas from Uranus will propel rockets. Hehe...It's really not a joke. Ok, but it is funny to say...Gas from Uranus. Come on, how can you not giggle at that?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
18-12-2011, 10:35 AM
I am definitely watching the antimatter or accelerated ions research news, this may be our best choice Smile

18-12-2011, 10:36 AM
The Mythbusters argued that any carbohydrate can potentially act as fuel, even for rockets. They attempted to use sausages as fuel, but they failed to ignite the salami (OK, that sounded wrong) at least with conventional ignition caps. However, the potential is there.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 3 users Like Malleus's post
18-12-2011, 10:36 AM
(18-12-2011 10:35 AM)Snuff Wrote:  I am definitely watching the antimatter or accelerated ions research news this may be our best choice Smile

Star Trek predicted 40 years ago that antimatter is the way to go.

Well, that and Dilithium Crystals. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
18-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I haven't heard anything about that Malleus but that would be interesting lol hopefully there aren't any space sharks who like salami!

[+] 1 user Likes Snuff's post
18-12-2011, 07:10 PM
There are several new technologies coming out but one they are working on now is probably our best bet atm. I read about it a while ago but here is some information on it.

VASIMR is a plasma-based propulsion system. An electric power source is used to ionize fuel into plasma. Electric fields heat and accelerate the plasma while the magnetic fields direct the plasma in the proper direction as it is ejected from the engine, creating thrust for the spacecraft. The engine can even vary the amount of thrust generated, allowing it to increase or decrease its acceleration. It even features an "afterburner" mode that sacrifices fuel efficiency for additional speed. Possible fuels for the VASIMR engine could include hydrogen, helium, and deuterium.

For more information: http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/traveli...lsion.html

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2011, 07:13 PM
One of my pet fantasy theories is there will someday be a space elevator, removing the need for rockets to carry us out of the atmosphere.

[Image: space-elevator-345.jpg]

~Izel
18-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Yeah I saw that elevator idea a while back. Nice idea but probably won't happen.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2011, 07:23 PM
(18-12-2011 07:20 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  Yeah I saw that elevator idea a while back. Nice idea but probably won't happen.

Man, why ya gotta be such a Debbie Downer?

Yeah, but that's why I said "fantasy theory." I heard some dude talking about nano-technology making it possible. But just like the thought of time-travel, it will be too costly and require too much power for it to ever happen in our lifetimes. But when the Federation gets established around the 23rd Century, it should be possible.

~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post