"What happened in your childhood?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2013, 12:44 AM
"What happened in your childhood?"
Number 9 in this video is "What happened in your childhood?" The man in the video says his childhood was fine. Not so for me. I had a terrible childhood. So what? It does not change the fact that my present beliefs are the result of reason and logic.

Even if God and Jesus existed and I could live forever just by believing in them, I'm not so sure that eternal hellfire would be worse than having the omnipotent psychopath and his bastard kid looking over me for all eternity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post
08-10-2013, 06:28 AM
RE: "What happened in your childhood?"
True that! I hear those quite a bit. "Your childhood, your angry, oh I'm sorry what happened?"

It could never be that there is no evidence, the bible is bogus or we had an experience with reality. Dodgy

Twitter: @doubtingdragon
http://doubtingdragon.wordpress.com
09-10-2013, 07:22 AM
bad enough that I learnt people/organisations need to earn the right for me to have faith in them.
Passed on that logic to my kids.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Yes. It must have been my loving, doting, willing to do anything for me but making sure I was a strong, independent person, christian parents of mine that drove me to atheism. Dodgy

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
09-10-2013, 09:52 AM
What I find kinda offensive is when I say "well I was catholic and went to catholic schools" and people go "ah, that explains it."
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
09-10-2013, 10:17 AM
(09-10-2013 09:52 AM)natachan Wrote:  What I find kinda offensive is when I say "well I was catholic and went to catholic schools" and people go "ah, that explains it."

Interesting comment. Why is that?

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
09-10-2013, 10:59 AM
It's always said by Protestants who consider theirs the "one true faith." I will admit to carrying a small guttering torch for Catholicism.
09-10-2013, 11:21 AM
(09-10-2013 10:59 AM)natachan Wrote:  It's always said by Protestants who consider theirs the "one true faith." I will admit to carrying a small guttering torch for Catholicism.

I think I understand. But when I threw off the shackles of dogma, I realized it was all ridiculous, and the arguments therein are too, and I have no further need to acknowledge them.

As a catholic, I can see being offended, but as an atheist it's easy to disregard a protestant's slight as a pot calling a kettle black.

09-10-2013, 01:48 PM
(09-10-2013 09:52 AM)natachan Wrote:  What I find kinda offensive is when I say "well I was catholic and went to catholic schools" and people go "ah, that explains it."

I think the overwhelming view from non Catholics is that a Catholic upbringing is overly strict and most people rebel against it the first chance they get. Thus the stereotype of Catholic school girls being wild. I get it, I've seen it numerous times, but the assumption that your views are simply an act of rebellion is a bit condescending and belittling.

For me, I had a rough childhood but it had nothing to do with the religious structure of my family. I always had at least one parent who looked out for my best interests and cared for me. My beliefs may have come about differently if I had been raised in a different or more religious environment, but I think ultimately I would have arrived at atheism anyways.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
10-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Well it's kinda the arrogance. I went to catholic school till I was 14. And I got a great education from them. They taught me philosophy, literature, art, music, science. Hell, the first person to teach me Earth science and evolution was the pastor. And he didn't denegrate it, but taught it accurately and well. And I do value the history, the culture, the ritual associated with the Catholic Church. I value the sense of community that the church provides. My mother and brothers are still active in the church, and are very well balanced people (they've also been very understanding when I told them I was an atheist. Much more so than when I told them I didn't want to work for the Vatican).

As such I do find it rather offensive when some Protestant denegrates my beliefs by chalking it up to the corruption of Catholosism.