What happened to the gold Jesus got ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 10:56 PM
RE: What happened to the gold Jesus got ?
I know you're joking, but there is an interesting bit about Matthew's addition of this myth into his gospel. Matthew's tradition was addressed to Jews in the diaspora, specifically. They were his specific audience. The authors/editors can be seen as "defiant" Jews. They hated the Romans. So why would he/they add this little vignette to their myth ? Because the "wise men" ("from the East"), in a post-temple period, would be seen by Jews in the cult of the time, likely as Zoroastrian priests. They validated by their presence the importance of the person of their Christ, as opposed to the Roman Emperor. Of course this little story never happened, but there is a very real and specific reason it was added to this, and only this gospel.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2013, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2013 05:22 PM by ralphellis.)
RE: What happened to the gold Jesus got ?
(13-06-2013 12:13 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What did Mary and Joseph do with the gold the three wise men gave them for Jesus' birthday. Did Joseph loose it in a poker game?

According to the Talmud, it was bequeathed to Mary Magdalene and she used it to purchase the High Priesthood of Jerusalem for Jesus - the position Jesus obtained in Hebrews 7. Apparently the job cost a whole tarkub of coinage, or about 70 liters. But the Talmud says it was silver, not gold.

According to Hebrews 7, Jesus became high priest of Jerusalem (in about AD 63). It is a complex argument trying to justify why Jesus, who was not a Levite, could become high priest. The explanation is that he gave an oath, while the hereditary Levites did not. But the Talmud gives a much more believable explanation - Mary Magdalene bought (bribed?) the position for her husband with a tarkub of silver. Oh, and the Talmud specifically says that Mary Mag married Jesus.

Quote:
For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood .... And inasmuch as not without an oath he (Jesus) was made priest .... By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament. Hebrews 7:15-22

The Talmud goes on to say that Mary Magdalene was the richest woman in Judaea (much as the N.T. says). Her bedclothes were worth twelve thousand denarii, her daily perfume cost four hundred denarii, while her dowry was worth a million gold denarii. And she never set foot on the ground, and only trod on carpets.

Quote:
Mary Magdalene ... and Joanna, the wife of Chuza, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for (the disciples) out of their wealth. Luke 8:3

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ralphellis's post