What happened to the people you grew up with?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 09:02 AM
What happened to the people you grew up with?
One of my old School friends was beaten up two weeks ago in the City Center/Town where I live, was hospitalised and died three days later.

Found out today that another one of my school friends has been sentenced to 8 years imprisonment for grooming and raping two of his own daughters.

What happened to the people you grew up with? Do you know anyone who became famous through something good or bad. Are there people who are successful who you thought would amount to nothing??

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
01-12-2015, 09:09 AM
RE: What happened to the people you grew up with?
I have only one friend I lost touch with from HS, he got married and decided he wasn't going to be the edgy joker around his wife. Outside that everyone else were either acquaintances or bullies, on my direct street it was all guys who were bullies, so really I don't give a fuck. My HS friend, sure I wouldn't mind a short convo to see how he is doing. But I have great friends now and especially a mother who loves me to no end and is still my biggest supporter.

The rest about cliques and popularity is utter bullshit.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
01-12-2015, 09:10 AM
I wasted money on my 20 year HS reunion, wont go to my 30th or 40th or any, all BS show off crap.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
I've created such a new life for myself, I have almost no contact with friends from the past. I do have one friend I've known since we were 5, also named Eric, and one friend from college, and 2 friends from seminary. And those I rarely am in touch with. Mostly I have friends at work and on the interwebz.

What a sad pathetic human I should be. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
01-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Initially I thought nothing but I guess a couple things lately this past year I can think of. Because I've just lately thought about this that I know nothing about 99% of people I grew up with when talking with a friend at work who just got on facebook and there is so many people of his age-group talking on there. I felt there is a charm to that as I see it may be that younger generations get the silly details of social networking out of their systems as we've had it as teenagers already. Though that may be a false trend or one that will shift with time.

Sometime about year ago I guess I did hear this kid I grew up with I never was too fond of. Him and his older brother that was my neighbor's fried, along with their dad always seemed to be that overly cocky group in athletics. I guess the story, that I hadn't looked up too much since was He was a Gym teacher at our Elementary School and baseketball coach and was sleeping with one of the 8th grade girls on his basketball team.

Also last winter the only friend I am in touch with from HS's childhood best friend that I hung out with a few times drowned in a pond by his house last winter.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
01-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Most of the people I grew up with are still living in the same area and doing and believing the same things (it is amazing how strong the influence of family and community is on religious and political views).

Couple of buddies went into the military, went to the middle east, and didn't come back the same people.

As far as I am aware, no one has made any major news for doing anything really good or really bad among my childhood cohorts.

There are a couple of buddies from high school who I never hung out with much that, thanks to Facebook, I really wish I had. And, also thanks to Facebook, I have come to realize that the people I did hang out with the most are the ones I'd rather not interact with today. Funny how time can provide that perspective.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
01-12-2015, 09:40 AM
(01-12-2015 09:30 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Initially I thought nothing but I guess a couple things lately this past year I can think of. Because I've just lately thought about this that I know nothing about 99% of people I grew up with when talking with a friend at work who just got on facebook and there is so many people of his age-group talking on there. I felt there is a charm to that as I see it may be that younger generations get the silly details of social networking out of their systems as we've had it as teenagers already. Though that may be a false trend or one that will shift with time.

This makes me think about my first foray on FB. I had something over 500 "friends"...actual people that I had known at some point in my life. Finally, I realized that I had lost touch with these people for a reason, and Facebook felt like an artificial sort of reunion. I tried culling the list, but finally I just ditched that account, and a year later started a new one, mostly with people from TTA at first.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
01-12-2015, 09:47 AM
I've only kept tabs on one of my friends from school.....

He was in the CIA for a while, as was his wife.

(and nope - I'm not saying nothing about nothing).

Then he got out, came back to Michigan - and got bounced around quite a bit working for different companies - and now is in Louisiana working for an oil company. Don't get to see him much. He's supposed to be up this month..

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-12-2015, 10:05 AM
My best man and best friend is the guy I grew up with, and I`m still good friends with few more childhood friends.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
01-12-2015, 10:10 AM
The only thing you have in common with the people you grew up with was the fact that your parents all had unprotected sex in the same geographic region at roughly the same time. There is a reason most people lose track of their old friends and find they have nothing to talk about when you do see them again.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post