What happened to the people you grew up with?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2015 02:37 PM by yakherder.)
RE: What happened to the people you grew up with?
(01-12-2015 09:34 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Couple of buddies went into the military, went to the middle east, and didn't come back the same people.

The other side of that coin pretty much describes me, though pre middle east. The first time I returned home was immediately after boot camp and a few months of training in Pensacola, and everything was relatively normal. I met up with my high school friends, we did the same shit we always did, and not much was different. By the time my next visit came around, they were a couple years into college and I was coming back from fun times ranging from finding murdered children during anti drug operations to watching gang rapes from refugee camps in what has since been declared South Sudan. I went to my best friend's dorm to chat, but we really had very little to talk about. Everything I previously had in common with anyone was gone. We'd all moved in completely different directions, and in a very short amount of time. I pretty much felt like a complete alien, and that was before the shit in the middle east had even started. By the end of that long month of leave, I couldn't wait to just get the fuck out of there and get back to Japan, where I was stationed at the time. I'd made new friends, and most of those new friends are still friends today, almost 20 years later.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
01-12-2015, 02:38 PM
There were about 700 people in my senior class so I only knew a fraction of them. Of the ones I have kept up with there are a couple of doctors, a few lawyers, a bunch of engineers, some small business owners, a couple of semi successful professional musicians, a marine general and one guy that climbed far enough up the corporate ladder to be able to afford his own jet. I know of a bunch of junkies / meth heads many of who have been in and out of prison a few times. Donny over dosed on heroin in 97. I was the one that found the body a week after the fact. John was still in his teens when he was killed by a cop when he tried to run during a drug bust. Steve Thompson was executed by the state in 1998 for the brutal kidnapping, torture, rape and murder of Robin Balarzs in 1984. Rumor has it that Kevin was killed when his grandmother’s tombstone fell on him while trying to dig up her grave so he could steel her 4 carat diamond engagement ring.

We were a diverse bunch…

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
01-12-2015, 02:42 PM
We moved around a lot when I was a kid, so I have nobody I grew up with, so to speak. I did live go to middle school and high school in the same city, but I left the day after high school graduation and have only been back three times for less than a week, total.

Sometimes I have a kind of vague, nostalgic curiosity about what happened to the people I knew. A couple of google searches of my old classmates have produced Jeebus-quoting realtors, so I'm not sure I've missed much.
01-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Most of them are on my facebook friends list now. It is pretty awesome. Some people who were bullies back in school, they're not on there. lol I don't forget! Laugh out load

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
01-12-2015, 03:04 PM
I do remember once coming across an ex of my sister's during one of my visits. I'd always despised him, mostly because, out of respect for my sister, I couldn't kick his ass no matter how bad I wanted to. When I came across him a few years later, I was getting a burrito at Taco Bell and he was my cashier. Nothing against fast food workers, but I couldn't help but feel just a little smug.

'Murican Canadian
01-12-2015, 03:09 PM
I have no idea. As a kid I basically lived alone.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
01-12-2015, 03:22 PM
One is still my best friend, although she lives in Munich and we rarely see each other. We email almost daily. I was 3 years old and she was 2 when we met. She was the neighbor's kid.

I lost contact with everyone else, some are dead I heard. I ran into the kid from across the street a few years ago - she was my stewardess on a flight.

But my old friend is a treasure - seeing her is always like we had just been together all that time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-12-2015, 03:56 PM
People I grew up with? Why, I think they're all dead. Or as good as dead.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
01-12-2015, 03:59 PM
(01-12-2015 03:56 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  People I grew up with? Why, I think they're all dead. Or as good as dead.

How many of their skulls you still got hanging up somewhere? Evil_monster

Laugh out load I kid! Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
01-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Two kids from my high school grew up to be somewhat famous: Shane Rawley pitched in the major leagues, and Kurt Ollmann became a professional opera singer. I played grade school baseball against Rawley and saw Ollmann play the male lead in our high school's production of South Pacific, but I didn't really know either of them or hang out with them. They just went to the same school as me. The people I actually did hang out with -- I haven't seen any of them for many years, and have no idea what became of them.

Of my current friends, the one that goes back the farthest dates from the 1980s, when we worked at the same company. But I was already in my late 20s when I met him, so I can't say we grew up together.