What happens to a capitalist country when the jobs become automated?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2012, 10:18 PM
RE: What happens to a capitalist country when the jobs become automated?
I agree with muffs, but I also agree with chas. How odd. Yes I like well cooked steak, but I also like steak tartar soooooo I absolutely loath medium or anthing else in between. ( ̄ー ̄)

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Fun fact: The red shit you think is blood that pours out when you cook red meat is not in fact blood but rather something that makes the muscles move. The name of it has slipped my mind.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
20-12-2012, 01:49 AM
(19-12-2012 11:41 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Fun fact: The red shit you think is blood that pours out when you cook red meat is not in fact blood but rather something that makes the muscles move. The name of it has slipped my mind.

Flavor? Deliciousness? I refuse to eat shoe leather. I'll eat a baby panda's toes if they're tasty. While his mother is forced to watch. And being raped. By me.

No but back on topic somewhat, there are degrees of automation. This isn't "get the machines to help us" of the industrial revolution. We're entering into future technology, where the machines will be self-run and self-operated. Employment will be cut drastically. Just look at the self-checkout counters at stores. There aren't "higher skilled and better trained workers" replacing unskilled labor. There's one lonely dude named Chet who stands there and helps with minor problems for about 6-8 machines. Population is still increasing and the required jobs are doomed to decrease. At some point in human existence, we will reach a point where there won't be any need to work. All I'm asking is what happens then?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
20-12-2012, 04:15 AM
(20-12-2012 01:49 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Population is still increasing and the required jobs are doomed to decrease. At some point in human existence, we will reach a point where there won't be any need to work. All I'm asking is what happens then?

Don't panic, dude.
There will always be job opportunities in prostitution.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-12-2012, 04:18 AM
(20-12-2012 04:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 01:49 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Population is still increasing and the required jobs are doomed to decrease. At some point in human existence, we will reach a point where there won't be any need to work. All I'm asking is what happens then?

Don't panic, dude.
But if nobody had jobs and everybody resorted to prostitution...?? Consider

20-12-2012, 04:20 AM
(20-12-2012 04:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 04:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Don't panic, dude.
But if nobody had jobs and everybody resorted to prostitution...?? Consider

... We'd all be fucked!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-12-2012, 04:25 AM
(20-12-2012 04:20 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 04:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  But if nobody had jobs and everybody resorted to prostitution...?? Consider

... We'd all be fucked!
[Image: Misc-I_see_what_you_did_there.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
20-12-2012, 06:06 AM
(19-12-2012 12:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Didn't watch the video, I'll watch it later.

BUT on the topic, the same as when people in history have always been replaced by machines.
The people will have a whine about it but eventually those people will be redistributed into different jobs.
Overall the work force will get higher skilled, more specialized and thus higher wages.

Take mining for example. Back in the day mining was done by hand with pickaxe.
As technology grew those men were put out of jobs, BUT higher skilled jobs were required to operate the new heavy machinery. Today mining is a well paid job, certainly in Australia at the moment you'll often be earning the same as a doctor back here. Why? Because the jobs required have become fewer, but are far more specialized and higher tech.
Look at the Alaskan oil fields, the skill and training required to drive one of those massive dump trucks is astounding.
Mining industry on the whole has gone from really really shit work, to much higher skill required and as such, higher wages.
The same with almost every other industry.
Like sure grocery stores are becoming more automated with those self-check-outs, but people are still required to fix them. People are required to build them. To install them. All higher tech jobs then cashier.

It all comes back to that basic principle of efficiency of resources.
A country has a limited amount of work force and so you want that work force in as higher skilled jobs as possible. This is the basic principle that has gotten the West to where the West is today. Through globalization the private market has been able to become on the whole much more efficient in the way it distributes the workforce. That is to say that the workforce on the whole has become more skilled and have higher wages.

The downside of course is that initially you do have that loss of job. BUT give it time and that evens out but this time with the benefit of slightly more efficient workforce each time.

Here is the USA we have gone a different route. We now require you to have 4 year degrees to do tasks that should not require it. To work in the field of day care, home health aid, vet tech, and a whole host of other jobs that used to not require it. On top of the new job requirements, the employers that used to pay well now pay less than before. My cousin got a degree (4 year) and she has a job folding towels in a retail store. I don't have one and I make almost twice what she does. The government here only cares about feeding more money to the colleges. So many restrictions on what you can do without a degree of some sort and even with one getting an actual high paying job is like hitting the lottery. You must be lucky and know someone. Many places that groom dogs are starting to require school. How long will it be before they decide to make it that you need to go deep into debt to get a degree. Dog grooming places pay 50% commission ususally for an experienced groomer. I don't see how they can really raise their rates enough to pay employees what they should if they require getting a degree. I have also talked to many people that were high income and then their jobs were shipped over-seas. Now they have the joys of working at places like walmart for almost nothing.
20-12-2012, 09:50 AM
(19-12-2012 08:24 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 07:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  Which part of "overcooked" do you not understand?
No I understand the concept of overcooked.
But the idea that medium-well done steak is "overcooked" is odd considering the best way to cook a steak is to chuck it on the bbq until it's dead.
No, that's not the best way.

Assuming a steak approximately 1" thick:
  • Put it on the grill for 7 - 8 minutes (depends on the starting temperature of the meat);
  • Turn it over and grill for 7 - 8 minutes;
  • Done.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2012, 11:28 AM
(19-12-2012 12:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You must be lucky and know someone.

I've seen a lot of evidence for that over the past five years. Of course, it was always true, but it happens even more now. I have seen highly qualified people overlooked for the few decent paying jobs.

The process of applying for jobs has become highly automated, also, with perhaps the majority of it occurring online. As a result, I think we are going to see work forces increasingly composed of very average people. The automated process discriminates against creatives and unconventional thinkers. HR departments are looking for obedient cogs for the machine; people who won't rock the boat.