What happens when we die?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2012, 08:38 AM
What happens when we die?
Little is actually known by what happens during the process of death. It is probably why religion can be such a toxic force in modern life. What we do know [scientifically] is that the brain doesn't die along with the rest of the body. It is actually one of the last organs to shut down. So, here is my theory: It is a dream. The afterlife is nothing more than a dream. The synaptic nerves are still active during the time death, so we are essentially dreaming until the brain officially dies, then probably our dreams die out, but by then we'd have no control over the process and it would be painless, peaceful, and we would just cease to exist at that point. I believe that is why those that do die and come back [through science and medicine, not superstition] tell such tales because they are dreaming. What are some of your theories as to what happens when we die? Biologically? Spiritually? Anything?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2012, 12:18 PM
RE: What happens when we die?
Things continue pretty much like before, just without us. There is no afterlife and nothing "that it is like" to be dead, just like there is nothing "that it is like" to not be born yet. That's my philosophical view. As for the biological specifics, ask a neuroscientist.
17-01-2012, 12:20 PM
You decompose just like any other animial that dies. I agree that what people think of as the afterlife when they 'see the light' could just be a dream or some weird stuff going on in the optic nerves.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
17-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Death is the calm before the storm. The brain maintains this "dream-state" as a response to death so that we stop struggling or it is a coping mechanism for our inevitable death at that point.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
17-01-2012, 03:46 PM
You want an answer? Go, my son; and sin no more. Angel

Yeah, I'm full of the evil today. Beyond the threshold of eternity is beauty for all; that's the official Blue Suns position.

I thought about using the witchcraft to peek beyond the veil; which led to the conclusion that proving something is not the solution. The solution to worrying about it is to understand that that worry is your monkey running the simulator. You know your monkey? The submind that does all the actual work while you sit on your ass and contemplate deeper meaning? That's the thing you wanna know. It does that kinda shit, like pain and dying; from my experience, that's the best way to think about this shit in atheistic terms. A subroutine takes over; and will moves forward.

The shit people stress about when they worry about death is not based upon experience, that's the critical component; that's why it is simulation. That's why the monkey works.

Now what I worry about is will getting me into a situation where death becomes too probable too damn quickly. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-01-2012, 04:12 PM
I can't know what it is like to be dead... I would love to know because then I would know if I am scared or not.
I have just recently started thinking about it again and was about to open a thread on it but now you did first, great Smile

So a bit brainstorming on the topic from me:

Sometimes I am a little scared of death, sometimes a bit more. Sometimes I am curious about death, sometimes I just don't care at all.
Only thing I know for sure, right now, in this stage of my life, I do not want to die. And that is for a simple reason, I did not do what I want to do, yet. That's very egoistic but that's what it is when it comes down to it. There are tons of things I want to do and experience with my hun together so of course I also don't want him to die right now. I am positive he feels the same way...

I haven't been dead yet but I had two of those near death experiences and what I learned of them was not to be afraid of the process of dieing. Both times I was able to simply stop caring and be very calm. Both times I nearly drowned, and you'd think that drowning is the worst because you can't breath and you might breath in water which would hurt etc... I am positive that I would even drown calm.

I think the brain does some great things here. I am not sure why, because what would nature care if we die peaceful or in pain? But you simply calm down, you don't care anymore. There were people telling what they saw while "being dead" and I support the dream theory. Our brain just gives us what we believe in or wish for. And I think the tunnel, so many people see, is something we have in common, something about our eyes shutting down or the nerves of the eyes doing something. No idea but I think it goes in that direction.

Anyway, lately I didn't know wether to be afraid or not? I think I am not, I think I am more worried. If I would die now, tomorrow, there wouldn't be a way to prepare everything for my few loved ones. I would hate to leave my hubby alone like that (or in any other way) and I wouldn't want my mother to survive me! And the least I want to do when I die, is prepare everything for everyone. Get things in order. Say "Goodbye and don't worry, don't cry. "

What would be the nicest thing I could imagine, if I die. What I would like people to know / to do when I die... Friends, family gathering, having a really nice evening together, no elefant tears, memories, and just remember the good things, not the struggles, not the wasted years, I would just be dead, I wouldn't want people to suffer from it. Get wasted, have a few pints, go to bed, move on. Live still goes on for everyone else. Right? No need to cry over me, I am just one.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
17-01-2012, 05:12 PM
(17-01-2012 04:12 PM)Leela Wrote:  If I would die now, tomorrow, there wouldn't be a way to prepare everything for my few loved ones. I would hate to leave my hubby alone like that (or in any other way) and I wouldn't want my mother to survive me! And the least I want to do when I die, is prepare everything for everyone. Get things in order. Say "Goodbye and don't worry, don't cry. "

That's the kind of stuff, you just can't stress; love 'em now and tell 'em you got death covered...

Cause you know I'm full of Gwynnies and this topic is a critical component of the agenda; so I gotta act like I know everything. What I know is that you wrote an excellent post. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-01-2012, 11:30 PM
The inverse of when we're born.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-01-2012, 12:13 AM
I see you conveniently left out the subject of the question. What happens to what? Most people ask it just like that so that the concept of the soul is assumed and therefore an afterlife is slightly more plausible in this ethereal hypothetical realm that you have just snuck in subconsciously.

What happens to us when we die? You first have to define what we are before even approaching the topic question. And after defining the essence of me, the answer becomes apparent.

"I" am a collection of sensory perceptions, chemical balances, firing synapses, consciousness, and mental activities existing in the brain and working collectively to make up the construct of the mind. So naturally, when the brain dies, the mind is dispersed and "I" cease to exist.

To suggest that there is a part of us that survives death and lives on is just wishful thinking spawned from a fear of death. Or as Sam Harris would put it (at 1:27):

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
18-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Well first thing that happens when you die is your going to lose your bowels.. shit and piss yourself... first thing... no avoiding it.

But no worries .. you'll have no clue that you, your life, and everything else ever even happen... neutrons in your brain will eventually stop firing, the existance of your personality will cease to exist. You'll go on in the memories of those that remember you while they are still alive... if you were lucky enough to be written down into the history books then you'll have some immortality... untill the history is re-written or lost...

Sucks doesn't it.

Live your life.. enjoy what you have now... because once your gone... your gone. Forever.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 3 users Like ddrew's post