What happens when your kids turn into Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Information What happens when your kids turn into Christians
How would you feel if your children grew up in an atheist household. They were loved and cared for, just like any loving family. Would it bug you that they became a deist? Or any other type of religion that you did not agree with? How would you react? Of course you would love them uncontidionally, but would you ever be held back at all by thier beleif system? Angel

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2013, 10:00 PM
RE: What happens when your kids turn into Christians
(16-03-2013 04:17 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  How would you react?

Same way I'd react if they told me they were gay, "Yeah, whatever dude." Drinking Beverage

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-03-2013, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2013 11:13 PM by Julius.)
(16-03-2013 04:17 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  How would you feel if your children grew up in an atheist household. They were loved and cared for, just like any loving family. Would it bug you that they became a deist? Or any other type of religion that you did not agree with? How would you react? Of course you would love them uncontidionally, but would you ever be held back at all by thier beleif system? Angel
I actually knew kids that grew up that were incapable of Skepticism and the Atheism that would consequently develop from that ability (i.e., Skepticism). These kids were literally brain damaged at birth (i.e., low oxygen) so it did not surprise me when they became Christians even though they were raised to be Skeptics - but I loved them anyways and so did everyone else.

Also, I knew one guy who was just fine and raised as an Atheist, but he was not a Skeptic. His parents were Atheists...but they were also stupid. Finally, one day he met a girl from the local Christian university (i.e., TCU) that set his heart on fire, so he became a Christian so that he could marry here and get laid. Nevertheless, this guy was stupid, but he was not Brain Damaged - just "Pussy Whipped". Anyways, he died at 45 from a heart attack after he deconverted 2 years earlier. I guess he saw he truth as the end was coming near. Whatever.
18-03-2013, 04:08 AM
The only thing that would upset me is if they grew up with a lack of respect for others. Would I like my kids to grow up and be atheists? Sure. Just like I would love for my kids to grow up and love baseball, photography and science. I wouldn't be disappointed though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2013, 04:25 AM
Declare war upon them.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
18-03-2013, 04:39 AM
It would depend;If they became just nominally "some religion',I'd say I wouldn't care that much.

However,if they became religious/spiritual douchebags-of any type,I suspect it would bother me a lot.
18-03-2013, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2013 02:51 PM by Luminon.)
This is not original, but it's a good advice. If my children would become Christians, I'd ask them to describe me how they got to that conclusion. (trying not to oppose the idea, so they don't stick with it in spite of me) If they some time along this explaining decide it doesn't make sense to believe in Heaven, I'd keep questioning even that, why DON'T they believe in Heaven. I don't care what they believe in, as long as they believe in questioning. Questioning helps to cut the crap and get down to all that is genuine.

Recently I think I understood better how to explain spirituality. I am spiritual, privately. It is the way I am, spirituality is a genuine expression of me. But why is that valuable? Because it's genuine, it's not some fake belief handed down from brainwashed parents for centuries since dark ages, it's an undeniable innermost experience. So what I'm really after is genuineness and I want other people to be genuine too, whatever their expression happens to be.

What if someone comes across as genuinely opposing something I hold dear? I believe that all genuine things have their place within a greater order and with some work on our sides they should not be irreconcilable, they should find their own context, within which they both can be reconciled. It is all the falsehood and delusion that makes things overstep their place. I've yet to see something I couldn't put into an appropriate context... Though in some cases of great evils this context is rather far away.

Yep, this obsessive questioning might make sometimes come across as a little psycho... I've had my fill of fakeness and don't want any more. Got to be careful, last time I did that, I upset Ghost. Though it is quite appropriate to adopt a religion or other behavior as a way to fill in the blanks on the map, fake it till I make it.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
18-03-2013, 03:20 PM
If my kids become Christian, I will dig a deep, deep basement below my home. I would then build a torture room in it, full of fire and any kind of torture device I can imagine. I would cast them into this pit, and then I would hire a torturer, maybe some guy from Guantanamo, and pay him to torture my Christian kid every minute of every day for the rest of her life. I would, of course, view it all on closed-circuit TV, enjoying every scream and every second of her torturous misery. I would include a medical staff to keep her alive despite the decades of torture she'll suffer.

Cruel?

No, not really. I figure it's the least I can do to show her how much I love her. God will do worse to most of his children; at least my daughter would eventually escape (by death) after only a handful of decades, but Hell is eternal, no escape, never ending, while omniscient God savors every eternal scream from billions or trillions of suffering non-believers.

That's love, right?

Oh, wait, this is a silly answer to a silly question. Maybe my kids might turn to religion, but what would I do? Nothing. It's their choice. Their life. I wouldn't DO anything. My relationship with them would remain exactly the same, except maybe for the fact that we wouldn't have as many entertaining discussions where we laugh at stupid theist stunts. To be fair, if I do anything, it would be to try to talk a little sense into them. Maybe. But not if doing so would jeopardize my relationship with them.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
18-03-2013, 05:14 PM
It wouldn't be the first time one of my kids did something I didn't agree with...I didn't have them to brainwash them in any direction. I can't live their lives nor should I try to dictate their beliefs.

I have one that leans a bit toward religion, one is an firm in his Atheism, one is apathetic where religion or non is concerned. It's all good. They are adults.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-03-2013, 09:08 PM
I would immediately and sincerely apologize to him for failing my responsibilities as a parent.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like bbeljefe's post