What has given Christianity its staying power?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2016, 07:45 AM
What has given Christianity its staying power?
It's as alive and well as it has ever been for over 2,000 years, even the most extreme forms of it. What do you think gives Christianity its staying power?

Question 2: How long do you think it could possibly take for it to fade into known myth collectively, like say the worship of the Greek and Roman gods did?

“If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission.” ― Flemming Rose
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2016, 08:02 AM
RE: What has given Christianity its staying power?
The whole forgiveness nonsense. You don't need to be a good person.. Don't even need to know your holy book (probably better that most don't), as long as you repent, you can be a complete cunt your entire life and still get into heaven
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
26-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Became widespread with the adoption as official religion in Roman Empire. Became tool of conquest and control in Europe through to early Middle Ages. Became unquestioned fact until 18th century, and even then only rarely, as it was protected by powerful interests.

Still is a tool for crowd control. Millions of followers. Very useful politically. Employs an army of priests and associated flunkies. Very profitable. You don't just throw something so powerful away. Expect those who profit from it to fight extremely hard not to let it fade.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
26-01-2016, 08:14 AM
It was spread by the force of the Roman Empire, this show of force established it as the prominent religion when the Roman Empire fell. I believe the church and it's organizational structure served to fill the power vacuum left in the wake of the Roman Empire's demise, so it further solidified it's power over the populace that remained unchallenged until the Renaissance.

In modern times, the Christian religion has learned to simply adapt to things that challenge it. When the church's views were challenged by science, it resisted, but later accepted many things that scientific knowledge revealed, this uneasy tension between religion and science has caused a slow bleeding out of religion.

I think religion for the typical rank and file, is just a continuation of tradition and culture. For the average church goer, it's a place to get a weekly pep talk and gives the illusion that your mortality is safe, as long as you subscribe to some form of it.

The various forms of Christianity has become so diversified that it's impossible to make a single unifying declaration about what Christianity is, other than a belief in a higher power.

This generic description fulfills many people's need for spirituality, but what this spirituality means to each individual can be strikingly different and at odds with most mainstream doctrines of Christianity.

That is the ultimate strength of Christianity, a generalized spirituality where each individual can construct their own personal god concept, but is ultimately vapid.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
26-01-2016, 08:20 AM
(26-01-2016 07:45 AM)Capn. Irrelevant Wrote:  It's as alive and well as it has ever been for over 2,000 years, even the most extreme forms of it. What do you think gives Christianity its staying power?

It had temporal, political power for centuries and has become part of the fabric of Western society.

Quote:Question 2: How long do you think it could possibly take for it to fade into known myth collectively, like say the worship of the Greek and Roman gods did?

It is already declining where it has no temporal power.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
26-01-2016, 08:51 AM
(26-01-2016 07:45 AM)Capn. Irrelevant Wrote:  What do you think gives Christianity its staying power?

The fact that it's true.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
26-01-2016, 08:52 AM
(26-01-2016 07:45 AM)Capn. Irrelevant Wrote:  It's as alive and well as it has ever been for over 2,000 years, even the most extreme forms of it. What do you think gives Christianity its staying power?

Question 2: How long do you think it could possibly take for it to fade into known myth collectively, like say the worship of the Greek and Roman gods did?

For several reasons I think. Firstly, the majority of children, at least in the U.S. are indoctrinated from their earliest memories with it. Second, Christianity has had a presumed monopoly on morality for over 2,000 years. To reject it is seen by many to be a rejection of morality. It is also so much a part of the culture that there is a stigma attached and a social penalty if you aren't Christian. Also there is the fact that so many people are afraid of the responsibility to think for themselves. This Fear of responsibility drives it as well. Hey I don't have to figure all this out, just go with the flow of what everybody else thinks.

I know when I was young we went to Church and everyone we know went to church and I just thought that was the way it was supposed to be and if one didn't go they were bad. Plus there was the whole fear of going to hell thing. That is a powerful motivator.

Christianity, and religion in general, is the perfect con. As for how long it will last, I don't know. Many catch on that it is a con but continue going because it is easier than coming out and facing the backlash. The one thing that saves us is that not too many people really take it all that seriously. If they did, I shudder to think what the state of the world would be.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
26-01-2016, 09:03 AM
(26-01-2016 08:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  Became widespread with the adoption as official religion in Roman Empire. Became tool of conquest and control in Europe through to early Middle Ages. Became unquestioned fact until 18th century, and even then only rarely, as it was protected by powerful interests.

Still is a tool for crowd control. Millions of followers. Very useful politically. Employs an army of priests and associated flunkies. Very profitable. You don't just throw something so powerful away. Expect those who profit from it to fight extremely hard not to let it fade.

Lots of things were profitable and useful to those in power... Like slaves.

Well now that it can't be forced on people, where does Christianity's staying power come from? People don't say "well I'm Christian because it helps those rich fuckers in power". It's usually some crap about Jesus and love and forgiveness or something feels related.
26-01-2016, 09:10 AM
(26-01-2016 08:51 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(26-01-2016 07:45 AM)Capn. Irrelevant Wrote:  What do you think gives Christianity its staying power?

The fact that it's true.

Nope and I win !ClapClapClapClapBanana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorro

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
26-01-2016, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2016 10:56 AM by Tomasia.)

No viable alternatives to it. Even atheism, has become more about proclaiming a lack of belief, as opposed to offering viable alternative beliefs to Christianity or theism. Not to mention other factors such as lower birth rates among non-religious, lack of evangelistic tendencies in most other religions, etc...

One way I can think that can cause more widespread non-religious sentiments, is to remove people's dependencies on community, foster a lack of trust in institutions and organized bodies all together. Your target audience should be folks without a college education, as most non-religious people tend to be. Breed apathy towards religion, and communities and you might have something going for you.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."