What has given Christianity its staying power?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2016, 03:39 PM
RE: What has given Christianity its staying power?
(29-01-2016 12:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-01-2016 06:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Learned helplessness. Drinking Beverage
...with a healthy dose of pussy unwilling to accept the inevitability of the abyss.

What you are talking about ? The afterlife is very real. I'm the reincarnation of chuck Norris. In my past life I was a nut Christian fundamentalist douche. In this life I'm a atheist. Atleast I'm improving.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
29-01-2016, 03:46 PM
(29-01-2016 03:39 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 12:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...with a healthy dose of pussy unwilling to accept the inevitability of the abyss.

What you are talking about ? The afterlife is very real. I'm the reincarnation of chuck Norris. In my past life I was a nut Christian fundamentalist douche. In this life I'm a atheist. Atleast I'm improving.

Yes, yes, yes, I thought we had agreed to never speak of this again?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-01-2016, 04:07 PM
(29-01-2016 03:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 03:39 PM)Leo Wrote:  What you are talking about ? The afterlife is very real. I'm the reincarnation of chuck Norris. In my past life I was a nut Christian fundamentalist douche. In this life I'm a atheist. Atleast I'm improving.

Yes, yes, yes, I thought we had agreed to never speak of this again?

The first rule of reincarnation is ... Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
30-01-2016, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2016 09:10 AM by Tomasia.)
(29-01-2016 03:00 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Connecting the dots, there's a name for that:

Texas sharpshooter fallacy

How do we avoid making errors in our dot connecting? The scientific method, driven by evidence.

You can go ahead and seek faith healing for polio, I think I'll get a vaccination.

Science doesn't form a complete worldview, hence why different scientists subscribe to variety of competing worldviews. Science can only inform a person's worldview, not particularly draw one itself.

Drawing a worldview is not a Texas Sharpshooter fallacy, a religious worldview is no different in this regard than an Elimantivist worldview.

A worldview is something said about the whole, it's to make sense of the whole, of the totality of things, rather than drawn from just a small slice, or small section of dots that appear in tightly grouped cluster. It involves connecting all the dots, to form a picture of reality.

How do we avoid making errors? I guess that's more of question for those afraid to be mistaken. If you have such a fear, a paranoia of being mistaken, I guess it's understandable why a lack of an ontological position is appealing.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
30-01-2016, 09:09 AM
(29-01-2016 02:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 09:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  How was the "Weasel program" controlled throughout the process, other than making sure the electricity stayed on? Once started it seems to been able to operate on it own, without any tinkering through out the process?

The weasel example is not an example of natural selection. Facepalm
Unlike natural selection, the example has a goal or target.

What it is is an illustration of the power of cumulative selection.

I didn't say it was, though it would appear to me that if we to create an accurate computer representation of the theory of evolution, of natural selection, it would look very much like a more complex version of the weasel program.

I asked about what you meant by it by the weasel program being "controlled throughout the process"? As opposed to once started, it was able to function on it's own without any tinkering mid-process.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
30-01-2016, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2016 11:43 AM by Bear100.)
it's a mixture of several factors that snowballs into one big phenomenon that is religion, and christianity is not exempt from this.

1. closing the gaps. humans always seek answers to unanswered questions, and religion was a primitive man's tool for trying to understand the world without much scientific knowledge. people still crave knowledge for the unanswered today, and religion still attempts to provide that, however poor its argments are.
2. tradition. because religion, including christianity, has been around for such a long time, it has embedded itself as part of a culture in many parts of the world. for example majority, if not all of hindus are also from india or nepal.(or around that vicinity)
3. comfort. however much of a false comfort it is, people that feel alone or aren't as strong mentally can find help in believing that there is a higher power that looks out for everyone.
4. indoctrination from young age. it's much easier to convince children to believe in the unbelievable than full fledged adults who can think for themselves. churches use this effectively to "make" new christians. it's also explains how north korea is still a thing.
5. fear, either physical or psychological (or both). I suppose this can tie in with reason #4 (if you don't believe in god you'll go to hell). if someone or some society is pressuring you into believe something, even the most unbelievable, one will come to believe it eventually (i.e. brainwashing). if you keep repeating a lie you're soon bound to believe it, etc.
what makes christianity in particular a thing, even today, is that it was the state religion of the most dominant world power a long time ago (Roman Empire). others have explained this in detail in this thread so I won't go into detail with this.

I'm not saying these reasons justify a belief in a particular religion, but saying that they play a factor in what makes christianity so popular worldwide.
[+] 4 users Like Bear100's post
30-01-2016, 04:38 PM
(26-01-2016 07:45 AM)Capn. Irrelevant Wrote:  It's as alive and well as it has ever been for over 2,000 years, even the most extreme forms of it. What do you think gives Christianity its staying power?

Question 2: How long do you think it could possibly take for it to fade into known myth collectively, like say the worship of the Greek and Roman gods did?

jobs for the boys
30-01-2016, 05:08 PM
(26-01-2016 07:45 AM)Capn. Irrelevant Wrote:  It's as alive and well as it has ever been for over 2,000 years, even the most extreme forms of it. What do you think gives Christianity its staying power?

Question 2: How long do you think it could possibly take for it to fade into known myth collectively, like say the worship of the Greek and Roman gods did?

Painless religion as the Cosmos guy says. You don't hafta do shit, just don't miss calling out Jesus' name just before checking out and you'll be checking with him in a few minutes, mo muss no fuss. Or as some would have you believe if once in your life you said the magic words no problem you're in!
30-01-2016, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016 06:59 AM by Chas.)
(30-01-2016 09:03 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 03:00 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Connecting the dots, there's a name for that:

Texas sharpshooter fallacy

How do we avoid making errors in our dot connecting? The scientific method, driven by evidence.

You can go ahead and seek faith healing for polio, I think I'll get a vaccination.

Science doesn't form a complete worldview, hence why different scientists subscribe to variety of competing worldviews. Science can only inform a person's worldview, not particularly draw one itself.

Drawing a worldview is not a Texas Sharpshooter fallacy, a religious worldview is no different in this regard than an Elimantivist worldview.

A worldview is something said about the whole, it's to make sense of the whole, of the totality of things, rather than drawn from just a small slice, or small section of dots that appear in tightly grouped cluster. It involves connecting all the dots, to form a picture of reality.

How do we avoid making errors? I guess that's more of question for those afraid to be mistaken. If you have such a fear, a paranoia of being mistaken, I guess it's understandable why a lack of an ontological position is appealing.

I doubt any atheist here has "a fear, a paranoia of being mistaken", that seems to be the province of theists. You really don't appear to understand how intellectual honesty works.

Your suppositions about others are so colored by your biases that they are generally silly, often insulting, and invariably wrong.
You really should stop doing it.

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
30-01-2016, 05:33 PM
(30-01-2016 09:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 02:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  The weasel example is not an example of natural selection. Facepalm
Unlike natural selection, the example has a goal or target.

What it is is an illustration of the power of cumulative selection.

I didn't say it was, though it would appear to me that if we to create an accurate computer representation of the theory of evolution, of natural selection, it would look very much like a more complex version of the weasel program.

It would look nothing like the weasel program for the reasons already noted.

Quote:I asked about what you meant by it by the weasel program being "controlled throughout the process"? As opposed to once started, it was able to function on it's own without any tinkering mid-process.

There was a defined goal that defines the algorithm. Evolution has no goals and is a different algorithm.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post