What has given Christianity its staying power?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2016, 06:13 PM
RE: What has given Christianity its staying power?
(30-01-2016 09:03 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 03:00 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Connecting the dots, there's a name for that:

Texas sharpshooter fallacy

How do we avoid making errors in our dot connecting? The scientific method, driven by evidence.

You can go ahead and seek faith healing for polio, I think I'll get a vaccination.

Science doesn't form a complete worldview, hence why different scientists subscribe to variety of competing worldviews. Science can only inform a person's worldview, not particularly draw one itself.

Drawing a worldview is not a Texas Sharpshooter fallacy, a religious worldview is no different in this regard than an Elimantivist worldview.

A worldview is something said about the whole, it's to make sense of the whole, of the totality of things, rather than drawn from just a small slice, or small section of dots that appear in tightly grouped cluster. It involves connecting all the dots, to form a picture of reality.

How do we avoid making errors? I guess that's more of question for those afraid to be mistaken. If you have such a fear, a paranoia of being mistaken, I guess it's understandable why a lack of an ontological position is appealing.

You are no doubt unconcerned with the truth.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
31-01-2016, 10:49 AM
(30-01-2016 06:13 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  You are no doubt unconcerned with the truth.

And what truth is that?

I am deeply concerned about truth, particularly the sort of truths that actually matter.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
31-01-2016, 12:53 PM
(31-01-2016 10:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(30-01-2016 06:13 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  You are no doubt unconcerned with the truth.

And what truth is that?

I am deeply concerned about truth, particularly the sort of truths that actually matter.

How and why does it matter?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
31-01-2016, 01:17 PM

And what truth is that?

... How do you find out truth?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-01-2016, 02:37 PM

And what truth is that?

Rolleyes

You are deeply concerned about truth, you just don't care if it's accurate or real.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
31-01-2016, 02:40 PM
(31-01-2016 10:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I am deeply concerned about truth, particularly the sort of truths that actually matter.

You mean the truth that all truth is relative? Is that the truth you're looking for? 'Cause it's right in your face. Truth is an artifact. It does not exist without a framework for evaluation. Frameworks are artifacts.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-01-2016, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2016 04:48 PM by Tomasia.)
(31-01-2016 01:17 PM)morondog Wrote:  ... How do you find out truth?

Sometimes you find it by asking question, by wonder, curiosity, a desire to piece things together. Through experience, and interactions with others, through friendships and conflicts, and circumstances. Sometimes you live a life privileged to certain things, more so than others, to inconsistencies and paradoxes that occupy human life.

Sometimes you don't find the truth, as much it finds you, punching you right square in the face.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
31-01-2016, 04:46 PM
(31-01-2016 02:37 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Rolleyes

You are deeply concerned about truth, you just don't care if it's accurate or real.

Says men that can't tell what's accurate or not, that forever have the wool over their eyes in a condition called unbelief. Men who can longer bring themselves to say God does not exist, but utter only that they lack a belief one way or the other.

31-01-2016, 04:49 PM
(31-01-2016 04:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Says men that can't tell what's accurate or not, that forever have the wool over their eyes in a condition called unbelief. Men who can longer bring themselves to say God does not exist, but utter only that they lack a belief one way or the other.

You mean the intellectually honest among us. You still can't grasp that, can you. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
31-01-2016, 05:44 PM
(31-01-2016 04:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Says the man who continues to hang around the very people he says he so deeply disrespects. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post