What has given Christianity its staying power?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2016, 07:36 PM
RE: What has given Christianity its staying power?
(31-01-2016 04:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Says men that can't tell what's accurate or not, that forever have the wool over their eyes in a condition called unbelief.
A condition called "unbelief" haha. You are such a ludicrous, tedious little fool. I, unlike you, am very capable of telling what's accurate because I use a proven effective, self correcting, methodology (the only one at that) where as you rely on your simpletons superstitions and whatever thought goes stomping through your cavernous skull that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Yawn, boring. You're a relic of the Age of Ignorance, the fact you live several hundred years past your kinds expiration date is just sad and pathetic. If I didn't disdain your wrenched kind and the damage you do daily I'd feel bad for you.
You will forgive me naturally if I roll my eyes at the person who believes in millennia old magic stories and claims without anything approaching good evidence (to reasonable people, not you) when he says we have the "wool over our eyes". The blatant hypocrisy and your moronic obliviousness to it is amusing but still, when all is said and done, boring. The man with his head up his ass is trying to condemn those with wool over their eyes. How trite.Rolleyes

(31-01-2016 04:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Men who can longer bring themselves to say God does not exist, but utter only that they lack a belief one way or the other.
While I'm aware you have neither experience with, nor an interest in, intellectual honesty I think you may, though I'm probably wrong, might want to know that it resembles what you just described. I lack a belief in a god for many reasons: the concept is primitive and poorly thought out to the point it's often nonsensical and laughable in its primitiveness, that assholes not unlike yourself frequently make proclamations on the subject and then fail to back them up to such a degree of incompetence that a quadruple amputee specializing in finger paintings looks on your lot in shame and disgust.
Basically your claims are idiotically nonsensical and you are incompetent both in the making of them and in the demonstration of them. You are a fish in a bowl, and while I'll tap on your glass from time to time in the end I'd rather converse with people capable of an interesting, or at least original, thought. Drinking Beverage

The ignorant brood you belong to is dying out Tom, a little more every day bit by bit by bit. Soon all you will have left is the desperately poor and the most brutally uneducated and then not long after you will lose that too. Good riddance I say, I'll be glad when you and your superstitions have no more place on that great tapestry of humankind. When we can relegate you to the dust bin of our ignorant history, where you belong.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
31-01-2016, 11:42 PM
(31-01-2016 04:43 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-01-2016 01:17 PM)morondog Wrote:  ... How do you find out truth?

Sometimes you find it by asking question, by wonder, curiosity, a desire to piece things together. Through experience, and interactions with others, through friendships and conflicts, and circumstances. Sometimes you live a life privileged to certain things, more so than others, to inconsistencies and paradoxes that occupy human life.

Sometimes you don't find the truth, as much it finds you, punching you right square in the face.

Poetic, but do you have a better method than the scientific method? If so it seems mean not to share it. If not, show me a need for a God hypothesis to explain reality.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
01-02-2016, 06:05 AM
(31-01-2016 04:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(31-01-2016 02:37 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Rolleyes

You are deeply concerned about truth, you just don't care if it's accurate or real.

Says men that can't tell what's accurate or not, that forever have the wool over their eyes in a condition called unbelief. Men who can longer bring themselves to say God does not exist, but utter only that they lack a belief one way or the other.

Removing "the wool over our eyes" is quite simple, provide physical evidence with a falsifiable hypothesis that provides the best explanation for that physical evidence. Drinking Beverage

Or is dot connecting with subjective feels how we go about determining the truth?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
01-02-2016, 06:07 AM
(31-01-2016 04:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Says men that can't tell what's accurate or not, that forever have the wool over their eyes in a condition called unbelief. Men who can longer bring themselves to say God does not exist, but utter only that they lack a belief one way or the other.

Without evidence, you don't have knowledge, only belief; and you need to stop pretending like you do. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-02-2016, 11:00 AM
(31-01-2016 04:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Says men that can't tell what's accurate or not, that forever have the wool over their eyes in a condition called unbelief. Men who can longer bring themselves to say God does not exist, but utter only that they lack a belief one way or the other.

I can tell that the bible is not accurate and has been disproven scientifically, theologically, historically, and on moral/ethical grounds.

I do not believe that the christian god exists. I am ambivalent about whether or not jesus existed. If he did exist, nothing accurate has been passed down to us. He certainly was not the son of god.

I do not believe in any of the gods posited by any of the organized religions, since all require faith as their cornerstone belief. If scientific evidence where presented proving some type of god, I would be willing to consider it. However such evidence is, by definition, unobtainable according to all religions I know of.

Faith is not a way to the truth. Faith is a tool used by frauds and charlatans.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
01-02-2016, 11:13 AM

You have obviously missed the recent additions to DSM-V ICDs which should be covered by your insurance provided under the ACA.

Pentacaustic Personality Disorder (PPD),
Rational Denial Syndrome (RDS),
Obsessive-confessional Character Pathology (OCCP),
Repetitive Flagellation Psychosis (OUCH),
Crucifixion Dependence,
Borderline Evolutionary Functioning (CDBEF),
Reality Deficit Hyper-rigidity Disorder (RDHD),
primary Biblical subtype vs. primary Koranic subtype or the yet to be discovered combined variant),
Post-Catechistic Catatonia (PCC),
Archangel-typal Personality Disorder,
Paranormal Parable Personality Disorder (also known colloquially as Burning Bush Batshit Syndrome),
Major Repressive Disorder (MRD),
Genuflexia Nervosa (GN),
Orthodoxicosis-permanentalis (this last one is only in the ICD-10 as it was snubbed by the DSM folks. Thankfully it will be covered by your medical providers under the Affordable Care Act).
And, finally, Sunday Morning Hyposomnia (SMH). This condition is easily treatable by skipping church, sleeping in, and then watching cartoons.

"Some of the hard data on these diagnoses are pretty suspect (just a few nuns and a homeless person) but that shouldn’t stop the progress of labeling people for the ease of billing Insurances!"
—Dr. Sterling Hogbein

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-02-2016, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016 11:53 AM by Fatbaldhobbit.)
(01-02-2016 11:13 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Crucifixion Dependence

Imagine if jesus had been executed in some other way.

By stoning? Instead of the sign of the cross, they could just punch each other...

Beheading? They could wear jesus heads on necklaces...

Burned at the stake? or a charcoal briquette...

Fed to the lions/bears/whatever? cat worshippers?

And it's a reeeeeeally good thing he was not impaled with a sharp stake.... Shocking

I'm just gonna stop there.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
01-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Cat worshippers ? I like that !

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
01-02-2016, 12:41 PM
(01-02-2016 11:37 AM)Leo Wrote:  Cat worshippers ? I like that !

Bastet, Egyptian God of War.

[Image: 2000px-Bastet.svg.png]

Of if you prefer your goddesses with more cleavage, here's a render of Bastet from the game SMITE.

[Image: g1678c.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-02-2016, 01:03 PM
(26-01-2016 07:45 AM)Capn. Irrelevant Wrote:  It's as alive and well as it has ever been for over 2,000 years, even the most extreme forms of it. What do you think gives Christianity its staying power?

Question 2: How long do you think it could possibly take for it to fade into known myth collectively, like say the worship of the Greek and Roman gods did?

Its original force comes from it being the force used to glue Rome together for hundreds of years, and then from it evolving via Martin Luther and others to adapt to a changing post-empire Europe. Is staying power? From the fact that it had plenty of time to ingrain itself into European culture prior to the advent of the scientific method. It might even be the onset of the Renaissance that made it stick, as there really isn't room in the rational mind for any truly new belief (= non rational) thought system. So everything new in the west since Islam is virtually forced to be based on either Christianity or Islam. And I doubt we are likely to see any major new eastern religion either.
[+] 1 user Likes coyote's post